Hornby Peckett B2 0-6-0 Anyone got one ?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Dad-1

Hornby Peckett B2 0-6-0 Anyone got one ?

Post by Dad-1 »

I'm looking for a suitable yard loco, but before I would consider
one of these I'd need to know it's weight, not the boxed unit,
but actual running loco.

Moving 'braked' Kadee stock needs a certain mass.
A Hornby Sentinel at 108.68 grams can't move the full possible load.
A Heljan 1361 at 187.98 is fine
Although the Ruston at 76.07 tries, too frequently it just sits spinning !!

Geoff T.
GeoFF03

Re: Hornby Peckett B2 0-6-0 Anyone got one ?

Post by GeoFF03 »

I have one, approximate weight 175 grams (that's using an analogue kitchen scale). Here is a video of it in action but with pretty free running wagons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4HBC-6 ... e=youtu.be
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Thanks GeoFF03,

That weight should be enough for what I need.
Think I'll go for one.

Geoff T.
Kindling

Post by Kindling »

Just to underline your positive decision, take a look at "Sam's Trains" video, link below. Indication of haulage capability from 21m. 00s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMlbZyXXY2M
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Should that not work out for any reason, another tiddler worth a mention for proven performance is Bachmann's BR class 03. Only 160g, but very effective traction, it will easily take away a dozen of Bach's mk1 coaches on level track, all close coupled so they move as a piece, no taking up one at a time. Ample space using extra lead ballast to bring the weight above 200g, which I did to enable it to start the same train from a stand on a 1 in 100. It felt like a lot of tractive oomph for the sub £50 new price at time of purchase, quite apart from the very accurate appearance and the measurements that I had dimensions for.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Bigmet & all,

I'm really looking for an Industrial loco - about as short a length as I can get.
The Ruston & Sentinel meet all requirements except traction. On the shunting
layouts, Club one 48" long, my own 49.5" long it becomes necessary to move
up to 8 X 17'.6" wagons all with brakes to get exemplary working from the Kadees.

The clubs Heljan 1361 meets all the requirements and will go back to the club
rooms, with the club layout when the hall is opened again. On my layout the
Bachmann 1F easily meets any task I give it, but I fancy a non-main company
industrial and Rails (When I looked earlier this week) had "Westminster" available
at under £90.

I do have both Bachmann 03, and 04 and if it had NEM pockets even a Hornby 06,
but I fancy staying steam era. I know the 06 is rubbish in many eyes, but DCC sorted
and loaded with lead it can move around 40 non-braked wagons without flinching.

Geoff T.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

At that price the Peckett is rather tempting. Another I forgot to mention: the Electrotren 0-6-0T of which I have an example branded 'Black Ajax'. It's actually an HO model of a small UK built shunting loco so 'needs work': to the bufferbeams in particular and anything else the owner fancies, but is satisfactorily small and ancient in appearance, and can be got new in the £50 zone. Ideal for anyone wanting a project to represent an industrial loco from an obscure maker that has been kept going long after its sell by date, with much external modification along the way. Cannot weigh it, as it is currently working away from home...
GeoFF03

Post by GeoFF03 »

I also have an Electrotren/ Golden Valley Black Ajax but It would be too light for Geoff T's needs as it's only about 100 grams.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Thanks GeoFF03,

Obviously you fully understand my needs.
I have one "Westminster" on the way to me from Rails, now I need to order my Zimo decoder.
I'd have quite liked a Peckett 0-4-0 version, but quite honestly already have too many
locomotives. I'm also of the opinion that a 0-4-0 won't have the basic track adhesion I need,
spreading the drive over a coupled 6 should be more reliable. However with weight above
150 grams no locomotive should be a problem.

Geoff T.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi GeoFF03 & anyone interested,

The 0-6-0 "Westminster" Peckett weighs in at 177.64 grams. Geoff your scales are very accurate
for the lighter values, better than you thought.

No plug in decoder yet so not run with the Kadee braked wagons, but at this weight I know
there will be no problems.

Geoff T.

'Ere tis,

Blur ? sorry hand held in poor light !!
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

I bought one of these today, in what has become an annual thing on holiday, visit the shop at Buckfastleigh station on the SDR. I spend about 20 mins looking all through the cabinets, before finally deciding which to buy.

I couldn’t decide between ‘Westminster’ and ‘Sherwood’ but eventually went for Sherwood. I’ll give it a run on my layout when we get home next week.

I was sursprised by the weight of it when they got it out the display case for me to look at it. Nice smooth runner on the display track too.
SRman

Post by SRman »

The Peckett's hauling power is good. I have had mine pulling a fairly heavy train of continental stock for a Christmas (in July) train. Other small locos that had no difficuty with this train were a Heljan 1366 pannier tank, and a German BR 89 0-6-0T. A Dapol B4 0-4-0T was too light and just sat spinning its wheels with the same train.

If you can stand an eclectic mix of trains, I did post a video on YouTube which has the Peckett B2 with this train.

https://youtu.be/thSlIw_roSE
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Having been pleased with the B2 I'm tempted to get a W4 0-4-0.
I don't know what's come over me, ANOTHER Hornby ? I used to favour the blue box items,
but it's Hornby who have gone deep into small industrial locos that now suit my limited
space shunting type of layouts.

Nothing much to do with any Hornby input, but having slightly reduced the wheel brakes*
on the Green Frog Brewery stock my Hornby Ruston is able to move 7 without wheel slip
and it's super quality slow running is great to use. Hence thinking of trying the W4.

* Wheel brakes - needed on standard BR wagons to enable Kadee couplings to operate
reliably.

Geoff T

Now ordered - Post today brought a cheque for £2550, now for a trip to the BS.
6C

Post by 6C »

Dad-1 wrote:Having been pleased with the B2 I'm tempted to get a W4 0-4-0..........

Nothing much to do with any Hornby input, but having slightly reduced the wheel brakes*
on the Green Frog Brewery stock my Hornby Ruston is able to move 7 without wheel slip
and it's super quality slow running is great to use. Hence thinking of trying the W4.
Geoff T
Now ordered - Post today brought a cheque for £2550, now for a trip to the BS.
A great choice - had the Lilleshall version for over a year now - usually employed pottering about on the dock wharf line - with a couple of wagons - but occasionally has to shunt 7-8 loaded ore tipplers - which it can manage with aplomb - Bachmann jobs with a foam insert plus load sprinkled over the top and secured with dilute PVA.
Just bought an Oxrail Janus to help out with full ore trains...
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

The little W4 in Port of London Authority blue arrived today, runs very nicely.
Easily pulling the abandoned 13 wagons that have been sitting on my garage oval
for ages. As I've currently no working DC layout the Hornby specific 4 pin decoder
was added. Why Hornby should go for such a 4 pin arrangement is unclear, short
of making it easier to use their decoders and that worked with me. I have a 6 pin
decoder sitting in the shed, but couldn't be bothered to hard wire in.
I'm also not a knocker of current Hornby decoders, having used them for many years
and never had any manufacture specific problems. I also use TCS, Zimo, Lenz and
Bachmann.

Sweet 'Aint She !!

Geoff T