Lima class 40 motor upgrade

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
D605Eagle

Lima class 40 motor upgrade

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi, has anybody ever upgraded the motor in a Lima class 40, and if so, how did you do it? I have a Limby one which is great, but the cost of getting a powered chassis for my Lima ones is prohibitive.

Mountain

Re: Lima class 40 motor upgrade

Postby Mountain » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm

If it is struggling for grip try changing traction tyres.
If it is smoothness you are after I am told the CD type motor conversions are available via Ebay. I have not gone down this route myself as the "Grunt" of the Lima motor is missing in the CD type motors, but they are beautifully smooth.
I hope you find what you are looking for. I maybe stating the obvious in my reply so I apologize if I am. I only write incase the traction tyres have been overlooked as they go slippery with age.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Its not struggling to provide traction, just Lima motors are so noisy and crude. From what I've read Lima CD motor upgrades only are really any use when its a 4 wheeled power bogie due to the motor hitting the center wheel. You can get super slim motors but they are very feeble. I need to take another look at mounting the motor to see if there's any alternatives. I've lots of the fatter CD motors and 8, 10 and 11 toothed gears that will fit them. Any suggestions on how to get round the motor-wheel issues?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:57 pm

The deep bogie frame near conceals the wheels, just leave out the centre wheelset? You could add a dummy flangeless profile underneath as was once common.

More radical, keep an eye out for the first Bachmann version going cheap s/h because of Johnny Ninethumb's failed attempt at a relivery, weathering, improvement (or heaven knows what he was trying to achieve); or one owned by a viola player on which the body has been sat or trodden on...

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:35 pm

I've been keeping my eye out for a pooped Bachmann version, but so far nothing at the right money. I'll have a think about the dummy wheel as an alternative.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 pm

CD motors come in different widths. For a Co-Co or 6 wheel tender drive chassis you need the slim line motor at just 9.5mm wide. The regular ones are about 12 mm wide.

Note also that some of these motors can be as low as 3V, most are 6V and the sought after ones are 12V. It depends upon your decoder if you can/can’t limit V-Max (CV5).
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:14 pm

Done a few of my Lima motors easy to do a lot better running does not seam to be any loss of power to loco so if you have a poor runner why not give it a go as i use DCC motor voltage no problem you can get a voltage dropper kit as well a google search will find what you want so you get your loco back in service instead of being stuck in the siding or even worse in the bin

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:53 pm

I had a good long hard think about this. I came up with the idea of using the more powerful 12.5mm 9v CD motor with a 11 tooth gear on it. I cut the rear bearing completely off the motor bogie leaving a hole large enough for the gear wheel to go through. The top of the hole I just filed with a small square file so when the motor with the gear fitted is put through the hole it can then move up vertically. You can then fit the primary gears of the drive train which actually hold the motor in place whilst you mark up where to mount it. Either super glue in place or as with my motors use some short 10ba screws to hold it. This makes the motor sit high enough to miss the central axle. I've tried it on a 31 and 47 since and it works perfectly. With the gears cleaned of plastic flash it runs as quiet as any modern loco drive and is powerful as well. I used a sandwich of 8 diodes to drop the voltage as I run dc not dcc. With added buffer beam detail they look fab for something that only cost me £35. Wish I could put pics up but my photo sharing site seems to have gone bust. (tinypic) motors cost me £1.03 each, the gears 9p each!!!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”