Standard class 2 78xxx

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Ex-Pat

Standard class 2 78xxx

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:09 pm

Hornby had this pre-decorated sample on display at Model Rail Scotland this weekend.

Although an information card behind the loco stated availability is January 2021 I managed to ascertain that they are in fact hoping for an April or May delivery this year.

78xxxcrop.jpg

78xxxcrop2.jpg

RailwayRobbo

Re: Standard class 2 78xxx

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Hornby had this pre-decorated sample on display at Model Rail Scotland this weekend.

Although an information card behind the loco stated availability is January 2021 I managed to ascertain that they are in fact hoping for an April or May delivery this year.

78xxxcrop.jpg

78xxxcrop2.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmm that looks good. Now then should I or shouldn't I?
Oh go on then I'll have one. After all it's a perfect branch line engine.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures Ex-Pat. Majority of the loco body in metal by the looks of it, in common with several of their smaller tender locos in recent years; the resulting weight is excellent for pick up and traction, and there's no losses compared to a plastic injection moulding. (I would like Hornby to move to metal body construction for all their newly tooled product.)

There have been regular calls for this over the years, the smallest BR standard tender loco. Looks a good model to me, so hopefully those that asked will be happy. Universal loco for the areas it ran in, working on the lightest branches up to appearing at major mainline locations.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:55 pm

Bigmet wrote:working on the lightest branches up to appearing at major mainline locations.

...and on occasion caught on camera stuck in snow drifts....
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm

There are more (and better!) views of it at : https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-e ... ZU,594EX,1

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:09 pm

I have been taking a look at that (and much else) on Hornby's site. There's a lot of good stuff in that model, representing as much as practical of the exterior fittings that made the smaller Riddles designs look rather 'busy'. I can just see there's a hinged fall plate at the rear of the cab. If it is as well arranged as the one on the J36 this will produce a neat effect on the running loco: because our model tracks are never truly level, you can see it moving as the loco runs past slowly.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:00 am

Going to be available in 3 variations.

78010 Black Early Emblem.
78047 Black Late Emblem.
78000 Green Late Emblem.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:51 pm

Hattons are advertising pre-orders for the Standad 2. They are quoting a delivery date of Q1 2021. I've got a Birthday and Christmas before then so I should be able to afford the £162 price they are quoting. Rails gift tokens please family. I don't think Hattons do them. Prices just seen to keep on rising.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm

A history of running at a loss in recent years suggests that Hornby have not been charging enough for their products, and what we are now seeing is the correction. The two other longer established RTR OO manufacturers are proposing much the same prices. The question is whether there is enough of a market to support this price level.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”