35018 'British India Line'

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
markS&D

35018 'British India Line'

Postby markS&D » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:14 pm

As the title suggests, I would like to share with you, another project that I have been working on.

As great as the Hornby Rebuilt Merchant Navy model is, it is not possible at this stage to reproduce an accurate model of the prototype Rebuilt MN, 35018, without making some modifications to the Hornby model.

When 35018 was rebuilt in February 1956, it had certain features that made it differ from later rebuilds:

The mechanical lubricators were positioned further forward, the filler pipes to the front sander boxes were longer and angled away from the lubricators, the ejector pipe, had a curve positioned just in front of the nameplate, the water pipes on the fireman's side had 2 doglegs in them. There may be other differences, but these are the most obvious.

I wanted to make a model of the loco as it would have appeared in the first few months following rebuilding, with the 6000 gallon tender, and early emblem. By chance, I stumbled across a model of 35020 'Bibby Line' for sale, in mint display only condition, with the correct tender emblem.

As per my usual MN improvements, I turned to the excellent 'Albert Goodall' range of detail parts available from RT Models:
1.jpg

In the above photo, you can see that I have already moved the mechanical lubricators further forward, and used some cast sandbox filler pipes, to alter the front sanders. as usual, on these models, I close couple the tender, fit cast MN ashpans, and fit cylinder draincock pipes, and add the loco - tender weather screen. An early attempt at reusing the Ejector pipe can be seen, which I was not satisfied with. I used brass rod, and added the curved section in front of the nameplate, which looked far better:
6.jpg

As already mentioned, I have closed the gap between the loco and tender, and fitted the canopy:
4.jpg

On the other side of the model, I moved the lubricators further forward, and fabricated the different water pipes from brass rod:
2.jpg

A final shot of the model from the left:
5.jpg

As can be seen, the model now needs a bit of tidying up around the ejector pipe area, and I am still waiting for the replacement nameplates and cabside numbers, from Modelmaster Jackson Evans despite ordering them 6 weeks ago!
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

GeraldH

Re: 35018 'British India Line'

Postby GeraldH » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 am

Nice work, that's a lovely looking loco :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am

It's always interesting to see a portrait of a specific loco at a point in time. Those 'trench mortar' sandbox filler pipes really are very distinctive, and the variant pipe runs are a good differentiating feature.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Thought I would post some pics of the finished loco with the proper nameplates and numbers fitted:
IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Latest Video Link:

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 pm

For anyone interested, here are some layout shots, some of them are black and white to give the 1956 feel:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Latest Video Link:

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”