castle class TTS Sound Decoder fitting

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
paulks

castle class TTS Sound Decoder fitting

Postby paulks » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi, I've opened up my castle class (DCC Fitted) loco it has a chip and just 4 wires (in the loco body). My Sound decoder (Hornby) has an 8 pin connection. I appreciate all will need to be fitted in the tender but I need to know what wires to connect etc. There is a photo of both elements attached. Many thanks for any advice on how to proceed.
Attachments
castle class DCC Fitted1.jpg

Bigmet

Re: castle class TTS Sound Decoder fitting

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 pm

Are you able to make soldered electrical connections? That is a prerequisite for a reliable installation, before I or anyone else launches into a long 'how to' that will be pointless if you cannot solder.

I would suggest that if there is volume enough available - or able to be created - in the smokebox to take the speaker, then you could well install everything in the loco. (Never seen the body interior of this version, so if someone else could advise that would be useful.)

Radical alternative thought: I have the current version of the Castle from Hornby, and it is a very lovely thing, right out of Hornby's 'top drawer' and well worth the money for the refinement on offer if all that appeals. Installation of the TTS decoder and speaker (which would be in the tender in this version) will be as simple as could be desired: remove tender top, fix speaker to tender floor, plug in decoder, test for good install on programme track, replace tender top.

paulks

Postby paulks » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm

Bigmet, Thanks for the reply. Yes I can solder pretty well and have all the necessary stuff. So.... if you have the time then I am sure I can achieve my objective. Just opened up the tender and it is empty! So looks like an ideal place to put the new decoder and speaker. Just need to extend the wiring once I know what connects to what. Many thanks Paulks

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:20 pm

So you have a choice to make before you start, do you want to install an 8 pin socket so that this and other decoders can be plugged in (you will be very welcome to an eight pin decoder socket free from me if you don't have one handy) or are you going to 'hard wire'?

The starting point - since you have elected to put the decoder in the tender - is to look at the best route from tender to loco for the four necessary wires (I will use the DCC convention for convenience), the red and black a pair from the pick ups, and the orange and grey pair to the brush terminals.

If you are hardwiring, then it may be possible to use the leads on the decoder to make these connections directly to the pick up and brush terminals, for a compact and neat job. Plan the position of the decoder in the tender and how and where to secure the speaker.

If the decoder leads prove long enough to reach all four terminals on the loco, unsolder red, black, orange and grey from the plug, (the plug can be left attached to the other four wires that will not be used and wrapped in tape to fully insulate it), and slip on a small piece of shrink on insulation sleeving on each, so that the soldered joints may be fully insulated. Detach the wiring on the loco from the four terminals, route the decoder wires through to the lcoo and connect each to an appropriate terminal, then shrink on the insulating sleeving.

If the leads are not long enough to reach the terminals with the decoder in the tender then you can probably use the wires to the four pin socket on the loco to provide the extra length. Hopefully Hornby have these correctly colour coded; if not, test carefully to select the correct pairs before soldering on the decoder wires. Solder up, and insulate the joints you just made.

If you wish to install a socket, then plan the position of socket and decoder in the tender and how and where to secure the speaker. That done route four new wires from the motor and brush terminals to the socket location, and solder on both ends. Two pieces of shrink on insulating sleeving on each wire for this job to cover both joints. I would suggest new wire for this, colour coded if you wish.

Arranging the position of the decoder and securing the speakes

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:48 pm

Try looking through this write up that i posted, not the same model, but you might get some ideas from it, you will need to scroll back up to the top of the page:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=54547&p=671457#p671457

Hope this helps.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 pm

I would make up a simple four pin plug to eight pin socket adapter harness to allow decoder and speaker to go in the tender.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:43 pm

Or another option is to mount the decoder in the loco, extend the speaker wires, and mount the speaker in the tender?
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

paulks

Postby paulks » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Many thanks to all for the replies. I'll be putting the advice into action tomorrow (Sunday) and will post on how it goes. Cheers Paul

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”