Flying Scotsman kicking when running

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
forest446

Flying Scotsman kicking when running

Postby forest446 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi all
I have the Hornby NRM edition flying Scotsman
An it seems to be kicking when running
I have checked the quartering
The back to back and even the axels
There is slack on the axels compared to the other A3 but all looks ok.
Any ideas I’m drawing a blank as to what next
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

Bufferstop

Re: Flying Scotsman kicking when running

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:09 pm

Is this loco or tender drive?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 am

Given what you have checked, I would say next thing to look at are the side rods. Major vulnerable point on all outside cylinder locos, because one slight mishandling can just bend a rod inward a little, so that combined with the necessary side to side play on the axles there is the possibility of a snag.

First to look at the connecting rod. View the model from the underside, the slide bars should be parallel to the chassis sides and not bent inwards, and the connecting rods should have a very gentle outward curve on them so that they always clear their respective crankpins on the leading wheelset. If one is sometimes catching and releasing on a crankpin, your description of a 'kick' is exactly what I would expect to read.

If you feel adjustment is required, gently does it. Better half a dozen slight tweaks than one mighty 'bend it'!

forest446

Postby forest446 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:28 am

It’s a loco drive model
All the rods seem correct aligned When looking underneath.
I’m borrowing a rolling road later to see if I can see something while running.
I don’t have a layout currently so it’s not easy to check without
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:45 pm

I'd go along with checking the rods, look for one catching on the face of a wheel. If the rods have been off, look for one being reversed trying to push the wheel down and back as it turns. Other things you can check are a wheel out of true to the axle end, a kink in the flange and a loose tyre/rim. Watching it on the rolling road should give you a better idea of what's going on. As a last resort releasing the motor so that you can rotate the wheels by hand should find the exact point at which the problem occurs.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

forest446

Postby forest446 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:44 pm

Can’t get to pick up rolling road till Tuesday
So it going back in the box till then

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:23 am

forest446 wrote:...I don’t have a layout currently so it’s not easy to check without

So how did you see this 'kicking'? If it was on a rolling road I wouldn't worry about it.

A rolling road is no definite guide to performance on track. For a start all the intrinsic inaccuracies in the rolling road mechanism are liable to have an effect on the loco mechanism's performance, as also any set up errors by the operator. I have demonstrated to three different rolling road owners over the years that their devices were junk, in that they induced apparent defects in running, which were not present when the loco was then run on track.

Bottom line is that it is running on the rails that is definitive. A small piece of ply with a track circuit on it is a way preferable piece of test gear, cheaper too, and not that difficult to store (against a wall behind a piece furniture for example).

forest446

Postby forest446 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi Bigmet
I was running it at a local club that I had gone along too.
It was there I noticed it’s kicking did all checks mentioned above there.
It’s just my own layout that’s currently dismantled

forest446

Postby forest446 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 am

So Rods are not catching
Axels are straight all bearings are fine
Yet still doing it.
Could it be a dud chassis as that means a trip to Hornby as that won’t be an available spare I bet

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Split intermediate gear between motor and drive axle?

forest446

Postby forest446 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Hi Rodger
I have had all gears off as wanted to check the axels were not bent
All gears are fine I thought about cracking it a worn tooth but look as they should

forest446

Postby forest446 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Replaced all bearings on it would have changed the wheel set but it’s not an available spare for this version still not quite right but a lot better than it was

Dalerailman

Postby Dalerailman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:12 pm

The Nrm edition model has been around a while might be a chassis with some problems. The bushes can be a pain to locate in the chassis slots and stay in. It might need a lubrication as well. if it was on a shelf for a while before purchase it would help ease the running and the valve gear

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”