New Stephenson Rocket

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Rich123

New Stephenson Rocket

Postby Rich123 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:24 am

I am tempted to order the new Stephenson's Rocket but I don't know if it will go through the tunnels or under the footbridge on my layout. I've tried to find the dimensions of the model and the real loco on line but to no avail. Does anyone have the old model and can provide me with the height to the top of the funnel? The new model can't be much different (if at all).

Bigmet

Re: New Stephenson Rocket

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:46 am

Retailers are already reporting sold out of their allocation. I suspect there will be further releases, by which time some kind soul can have measured the height of the model as produced. I wouldn't think to refer to the ancient item, as the new item is likely to be as accurate as the historical information available allows, and that chimney was tall.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:11 pm

I very much doubt that it will be taller than a 9F for example. If you have a hunt around there is a picture of L&M Lion buffered up to a 9F and though Lion's funnel was very tall the 9F was taller again.

I cannot see it being a problem getting through tunnels or under bridges.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:33 pm

I have just looked through my models, it is slighter taller than an 9F but exactly the same chimney height as the
Hornby OO Gauge R2534A Class 2721 GWR 0-6-0pt Pannier Tank
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Rich123

Postby Rich123 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:17 am

Amazon is selling a Haynes Stephenson's Rocket Owners' Workshop Manual. On one of the preview pages on the site it gives the overall height to the top of the chimney as 16 feet. If my maths is correct then this means that the height of the model is 64.2 millimeters. I emailed Hornby to confirm this last week but have yet to receive a reply.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:07 pm

I knew it was tall!
If when made to scale it will still clear under Hornby's current RTP trackside items, then I would expect a scale chimney.
If it won't, then a compromise height reduction.
Hornby sell a system, the implication of which is general compatability 'any with any' .

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Bigmet wrote:Hornby sell a system, the implication of which is general compatability 'any with any' .

Perhaps not! Unless they have changed recently, the Hornby curved points have a dead section of about 31mm at the frog. The Peckett W4 has a wheelbase of 22mm. If travelling at reasonable speed without stay alive capacitors, the loco will stop. I don't know for certain, but I imagine the same applies to express points.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:49 pm

The old Triang Rocket had no issues fitting under bridges etc. Whilst the chimney may look large Rocket otherwise is a relatively small low engine so making the chimney seen taller than it is

Rich123

Postby Rich123 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Finally got a reply from Hornby. They say the height to the top of the chimney is 60mm.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”