New Range announcements

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
muggins

Re: New Range announcements

Postby muggins » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:53 am

Thank you, sir. OK then, assuming (and it's a really big assumption!) that I could justify over £100 for a toy train, am I right in thinking that if I wanted one in BR black, early emblem, I'd have to pre-order at full whack or risk missing the boat, as seems to be the way of the model railway world now?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:53 am

Personally, I would wait for a good price. Hornby have always produced in sufficient volume to satisfy the demand, even if it means waiting for the second production run. But as the finance houses always add as a caveat: 'past performance is no guide to future performance', so it is your call.

You won't be alone if you watch and wait, I haven't pre-ordered any of Hornby's W1 and A2/3, Bachmann's new V2, Oxford's late crest N7, Heljan's O2/1 and O2/2, Accurascale's classes 37 and 55; all of them relevant to my KX area steam to diesel transition period modelling interest. With the exception of the earliest releases of 'the better product' (now 20 years ago!) which were very reasonably priced and begged to be sampled to see what we might be getting, I have not since leapt in as soon as product went on sale - let alone preordered - general releases. Yet I have been able to buy absolutely everything relevant from RTR at the price I wanted to pay, just by waiting. (Longest delay to date, the Bachmann BR std 5MT as 73158, one of only three of the class briefly allocated to KX. They flew off the shelves when released, but a dozen years later I obtained an as new specimen s/h for £55. That'll do nicely.)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Definitely going for broke using borrowed money, but that's the way business works these days. Much of the volume seems to be from different liveried versions of the same tooling, but if it appeals to those with deep pockets it provides them with ample opportunity to dig deep and splash out. I wish them well and hope they can pull it off.

The half year results are in, and the general result is OK - helped not a little by folks stuck at home and wanting something to do.
https://www.londonstockexchange.com/new ... t/14736006
Very briefly, out of debt, have attracted investment and have cash, sales have gone in the right direction, a very modest operating profit. Very different from preceeding years with mounting losses and debts. No real insight into how the many product lines owned by the Hornby group are each contributing, but hopefully the model railway piece is doing its stuff.

It's the second half of the financial year that will tell. Traditionally when the bulk of sales occur, so it is crucial that Hornby get the new goodies to market.

Ex-Pat

Re: A2/3 over-subscribed!

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:03 pm

Just received an email from Hatton's :

"We're sorry to inform you that we have had to cancel your order for the following item:
R3834 - Class A2/3 60512 'Steady Aim' in BR green with early emblem
We are not able to acquire the stock to allocate to your pre-order. We always endeavour to honour all pre-orders but in this situation, we are unable to do so."

Anybody else in same boat?

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:31 pm

Hatton's website:

R3834
Thompson Class A2/3 4-6-2 60512 'Steady Aim' in BR green with early emblem - Sold out on pre order
OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)
Pre-order price: £171
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:39 pm

Yes, I took a look at their website after receiving the email.

It's the first time I've ever used their pre-order service, and it will be the last! (As it is cancelled I can't even see when it was, but my guess is that it was well before September last year)

Have Hornby cut back production numbers, or have Hatton's got their sums wrong I wonder?

Even more galling is that I have already purchased the replacement nameplates!

I'll have to "do a Bigmet"and wait for things to settle down it seems.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:58 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:'...'We are not able to acquire the stock to allocate to your pre-order'...

And how do you read that, beyond the bald fact? To me it suggests that their past experience has led to confidence in an ability to 'acquire' stock as required to fulfill orders taken; but for some reason(s) which we are never likely to know, this now isn't so readily possible?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 pm

Assuming you are correct in your assessment, then it suggests that Hornby's order book is full, and leads to the possibility that it is already a total sell-out to retailers. Are "Hot Cakes" a likelihood, or will your usual "wait & see" play out I wonder?

Surely Hatton's would have placed orders with Hornby to cover their pre-order position on a rolling basis, just as a bookmaker would lay off bets?

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:04 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Just received an email from Hatton's :

"We're sorry to inform you that we have had to cancel your order for the following item:
R3632 - Classes 35024 'East Asiatic Company' in BR Blue with early e
We are not able to acquire the stock to allocate to your pre-order. We always endeavour to honour all pre-orders but in this situation, we are unable to do so."

I put the pre order in on 28th July :cry: i know it's not the A2/3, but it's happening with other items aswell.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:01 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Just received an email from Hatton's :

R3834 - Class A2/3 60512 'Steady Aim' in BR green with early emblem

Anybody else in same boat?

For what it's worth, one in stock today at Model Railways Direct.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:24 am

Ex-Pat wrote:... Surely Hatton's would have placed orders with Hornby to cover their pre-order position on a rolling basis, just as a bookmaker would lay off bets?

You and I might think that would be the way to run the business.
Ex-Pat wrote:... will your usual "wait & see" play out I wonder?

It always does! But that's in large part because my focus is on operating the most commonly seen locos and stock, all of which I now have. Thompson pacifics were a rarity at the KX end of the ECML; where the wide firebox power was overwhelmingly Gresley A3, A4, V2, Peppercorn A1, Riddles 9F. Tellingly I don't recall a nickname for the Thompson classes: Racehorse, STREAK!, Arrer, Pepp, Spaceship, per the class list above. So whenever I can get one A2/3, (just one) that will be soon enough.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:03 am

Ex-Pat wrote:... Surely Hatton's would have placed orders with Hornby to cover their pre-order position on a rolling basis, just as a bookmaker would lay off bets?

Since Hornby have to place an order before any work is done they have to specify the number of units to be made, in order for a price to be quoted and a slot to be allocated for the production. If they want further production they have to place a new order. This is one of the downsides of outsourcing. It ends up with dealers being told how many they will be getting!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:13 pm

muggins wrote:
For what it's worth, one in stock today at Model Railways Direct.

Thanks muggins - I phoned them this morning to order it (still in stock when I spoke to them) but they are no longer taking orders from EU residents - not even if the EU resident wants it delivered to a UK address. The mere fact that my Sterling credit card is registered at an address in Ireland is not acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the time I got my son (UK resident!!!!!!) to order it for me (to be sent to a Northern Ireland address) it had gone!!!

Boy, am I [___] off

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:16 am

Can't say that I blame you. Red tape ties us all up at times.
Pete.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Latest update on Hornby's 'engine shed' leading with a painted APT sample, renders and one early 3D test print of the 9F, photographic grey rebuilt W1 sample; all of it likely to cause dribbling on the keyboard among those susceptible, and much else.
https://uk.hornby.com/community/blog-an ... /full-tilt

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”