New Range announcements

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
mjb1961

Re: New Range announcements

Postby mjb1961 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:34 pm

[quote="mjb1961"]As I'm not era or region prototypical I just buy what I like ,if I can afford it that is ,for me this year will be the W1 Hush Hush and the Xmas wagon plus the rails exclusive gas turbine loco .

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Dublo wrote:Some nice pieces here it is a shame that the Duchess in the Blue HD box is not 3rail that would other wise be making an appearance on Little Weldon.

Three railing a two rail loco is a lot easier than going the other way. If it's loco driven with a tender you fit a Hornby style pickup under the tender whilst connecting both sets of wheel wipers to one motor terminal. At one time the large layout at Alton Towers relied on them after HD was taken over by Triang. There was even a converter van with the pickup, a Triang coupler on one end, an HD (Peco type) on the other, available for a year or so after the takeover.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

BobDM

Postby BobDM » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:55 am

Bit disappointing in some ways but it was interesting to see my dad's 1938 Gresley A4 trainset, which I had great fun playing with in Penicuik, in the range though I don't think DCC readiness was part of the package. It also had 3 rails.

A lot of pricey stuff which if they only do limited runs may not be part of anyone's sales offers in the future. However some offers are already out there. Rails of Sheffield are offering the Sir Nigel Gresley set at about £25 less than Hattons.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:28 pm

The 78xxx 2-6-0 would look good on PETERSDALE but at £160+ and not available till Jan 2021 I think I'll give it a miss. Of course there's plenty of time to change my mind LOL.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:41 pm

Lots of limited editions due the the centenary of Hornby ,,I'm a sucker for special/ limited editions that are sold in the reproduction vintage style boxes ,I think the r3809 Rocket in vintage box would be a nice collectors set along with the sir Nigel Gresley set in the repo Hornby dublo box ,,

Metroland

Postby Metroland » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:11 pm

Slighty let down. For example, this looks nothing like the real thing, so why even bother to release it? the real NR coach was a driving end unit!!! conversion.....

https://ibb.co/Wc5M337

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:27 am

I have been stupid and pre-ordered a train pack from Hattons that won't fit either the time or geographical setting of my layout. :shock: In fact, I think that the railway company might have become part of the LNWR. I won't even be able to complain it the locomotive goes like a Rocket! :twisted:
Last edited by Richard Lee on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Does anyone know what the difference will be between the various "Hush Hush" models? I see there's 3 original shape, and 2 of the A4 style streamlining. I assume R3841 will carry the name 'British enterprise', though I didn't think it ever carried that name. But what will be the difference between R3840 and R3842 (Promotional). Any ideas? I assume the colour on both will be the original dark grey?

Hopefully I'll pre-order it and by the time it's ready I'll have saved the money.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Buelligan wrote:Does anyone know what the difference will be between the various "Hush Hush" models? I see there's 3 original shape, and 2 of the A4 style streamlining. I assume R3841 will carry the name 'British enterprise', though I didn't think it ever carried that name. But what will be the difference between R3840 and R3842 (Promotional). Any ideas? I assume the colour on both will be the original dark grey?

According to a posting on the LNER forum the Promotional one reflects LNER promotional publications which showed it in apple green albeit never carried in reality. So R3840 is the only authentic model,

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:
Buelligan wrote:Does anyone know what the difference will be between the various "Hush Hush" models? I see there's 3 original shape, and 2 of the A4 style streamlining. I assume R3841 will carry the name 'British enterprise', though I didn't think it ever carried that name. But what will be the difference between R3840 and R3842 (Promotional). Any ideas? I assume the colour on both will be the original dark grey?

According to a posting on the LNER forum the Promotional one reflects LNER promotional publications which showed it in apple green albeit never carried in reality. So R3840 is the only authentic model,

Thanks, now that does make it tricky. I like the battleship grey, but I do like apple green too. Hmm if only I could see them first and then decide! The more I look at the catalogue the more I decide I want!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Hornby are in a geegee race as far as I am concerned. All of the A2/2, A2/3, V2 (Bachmann) and W1 are of interest to this KX inner suburban area modeller. So the horses will win the prizes in order of making it to the line. And while I will have an A2/3 and W1, it's about five V2s that are required - with 184 in service, there was quite a variety to be seen, single chimney, double Kylchap ejector, monoblock and BR cheapo three piece cylinder castings, gleaming from Top shed, covered in filth from York.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:21 am

For anyone who hasn't made a visit to Hornby's 'Engine Shed' journal recently, it's right back on form showing progress on the forthcoming releases. The depth of the research on W1 that is revealed in the most recent edition is most illuminating. Some real trouble is being taken to produce accurate versions of this loco as it was altered in the course of its experimental life, with the corresponding liveries carried.

Likewise for the rebuild with the 50 sq ft grate conventional boiler and shrouding in A4 style (an equivalent power unit to the Peppercorn A1 pacific that would appear a decade later). That's the one for my layout based on the Southern end of the ECML in the BR period. It was a regular on the KX - Leeds service and at the withdrawal of this slightly exotic machine in 1959, the dramatically liveried Deltic Demonstrator appeared, to take its place on the same turns. How the railway entertained us back then; but there was practically nothing on the telly so a very necessary public service.

All very promising indeed.

Now Hornby, having got a 'one off' Gresley machine in your catalogue, how about the Gresley P1 2-8-2?
https://www.lner.info/locos/P/p1.php
There were 2 of these! Bulleid thought them the best looking of all the Gresley designs, and of course they were a 9F way before Riddles, and we all know 9Fs are very popular.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:26 pm

The latest Engine Shed bulletin includes the rebuilt W1, and shows their effort to deliver a correct front body form: it has the proper 'roll under' to the bottom edge of the streamlined casing over the bufferbeam and cylinders. Will Hornby some time in the future revisit the A4 and include this missing feature, on what is otherwise a very fine rendition?

I also note that following the well publicised departure of Paul Isles from Hornby to join Accurascale, that the Engine Shed will become the responsibility of Hornby's researcher James Bryant from the next edition. Let's wish him well in following Paul, who made a very good job of this.

muggins

Postby muggins » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:49 am

Does anyone know what the mechanism's going to be in the new 2MT? If there's a hope that it'll have similar running qualities to the JI5 and that it will probably get discounted to nearer £100, I might just have to start saving ...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:35 am

We don't, because none of us ordinary mortals have had one to fiddle with! But my guess based on Hornby having done right on all their metal bodied steamers so far that I have seen, (Schools, 700, B12/3, D16/3, J15, J36) would be a drive similar to what is in the J15 and J36 for the same good performance, appropriate to a 2MT.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”