New Range announcements

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
luckymucklebackit

New Range announcements

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:50 am

QUite a few very nice surprises in the range, Thompson Pacifics, W1 etc

The RMweb page actually is the best place to view the range at the moment, the sound of jaws dropping is perceptable

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150159-hornby-2020-range-announcements/

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Re: New Range announcements

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:20 am

Definitely going for broke using borrowed money, but that's the way business works these days. Much of the volume seems to be from different liveried versions of the same tooling, but if it appeals to those with deep pockets it provides them with ample opportunity to dig deep and splash out. I wish them well and hope they can pull it off.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks for the link, much easier to digest then via the Hornby website.

What really stood out for me was the tinplate 0 gauge locos, I have the original green clockwork one on the shelf in the living room and love how it looks, would not mind having a red or blue one next to it just not at those prices :( Still is a cool idea

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:42 am

Complete agreement, and it is the only play that is available. Hornby are paying for the 'lender of last resort' loan facility whether they use the money or not. So the only thing to do is make product with it, and see if they can sell it in the volume required to restore profitability. Just my opinion, there's some good stuff in there. Let's see, and hope it does the job.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 am

Yes, the Hornby site is currently extremely pedestrian.

The highlight for me is undoubtedly the photo of 78047 in the goods yard at Hawick - some good details of the rear of the down platform on view!

I could however be tempted by an A2/3, and re-name it "Waverley" or "Robert the Bruce".

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 pm

There's some lovely stuff there. Specifically the 'hush hush', and the Stephensons Rocket set. Unfortunately at £200, it's highly unlikely to be coming my way.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:22 pm

The biggest joke in the range is the replica 2710. Sorry but HOW MUCH? Sod that, if I want one I'll be going after an original at a third or so of what they want for this one.

Only one loco there for me in the entire range but only because it started life at Bloxham.
Last edited by mahoganydog on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:02 pm

Preordered the Christmas wagon as usual and the year wagon as its a nice blue. I also ordered 'Merton' as I've missed all the new LBSC terriers so far, I'd love leadenhall but no funds and can't get Brighton and Merton as they are both due in July. So opting for the limited edition one...lol, jk, they ar e all limited ed these days.

Lots I like in the range, shame I'm not rich.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Some nice pieces here it is a shame that the Duchess in the Blue HD box is not 3rail that would other wise be making an appearance on Little Weldon.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm

Dublo wrote:Some nice pieces here it is a shame that the Duchess in the Blue HD box is not 3rail that would other wise be making an appearance on Little Weldon.

Could you fit pickups for the third rail?

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Nice to see some Southern Region Mk 1's in there

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:20 pm

I like the look of the Rocket train pack, and feel a tiny bit tempted.

What I did notice is that they will be doing an app and electronics to allow people to control DC layouts via smartphones or tablets. (Not for me - I have neither smartphone nor tablet). From what they say, the app includes sounds (presumably from the tablet/smartphone) and acceleration/deccelaration simulation. This might well appeal to new modellers with small layouts, or people with difficult to chip locomotives. It won't be as good as a competent DCC setup with a lot of sound locomotives, but it will be much cheaper.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:48 pm

BR 2MT is an interesting choice. I wonder how long it will be until a limited edition of 78018 and the film that made her famous will be done?
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Tallpaul70

Postby Tallpaul70 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm glad I don't have the job of deciding on a manufacturers range for the next year!

Considering there are some 9 eras(using Hornbys terminology ) that are actively modeled by a good number of people, and there needs to be something in Locos, Coaches, Wagons, D/EMUs, buildings, and Accessories, no wonder something gets missed out.

In the new crop I was pleased to see the Standard 78xxxs, and the A2s (although the latter not for my layout!), more colourful 66s at a good price(even if the detail is not up to that of others), and some more current/recent (Era 11) locos and coaches.
The W is a bold choice, perhaps encouraged by good sales of the P2?
The RBs will be welcome as will the LMS restaurant sets (but surely these will sell better in the maroon etc. liveries, maybe next year?).
I had hoped for an ex GWR restaurant car, but fingers crossed for next year!

I still think Hornby are weakest in wagons, (few BR ones this time apart from yet more brake vans!!).

I also hoped for more TTS chips for those of us who can't distinguish the out of step steam beats and the diesels which are generally good for the price.

This doesn't aim to be comprehensive a look, and pleas do not shout if I have ignored your favourite in the batch or your favourite that was missed out this year.

At least this year (so far) my wallet will only get dented by the items for last year still to come such as the 61xxs!

Cheers
Paul

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:31 pm

As I'm not era or region prototypical I just buy what I like ,if I can afford it that is ,for me this year will be the W1 Hush Hush and the Xmas wagon ,

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”