New Terrier - Remove Cab?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Richard Lee

New Terrier - Remove Cab?

Postby Richard Lee » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:39 am

Has anyone removed the cab of the new Hornby Terrier? I am intending to put footplate crew in. Is it easy and reasonably safe to remove either the cab or the cab roof? Although I have used patience, tweezers and superglue with some locomotives I would prefer to do it the easy way, assuming that there is an easy way.

Thank you in anticipation of any replies.

Bigmet

Re: New Terrier - Remove Cab?

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:04 am

I have no recollection of anyone describing a cab (roof) removal for the purpose of fitting crew. I suspect most fitting a crew are going in through the cab side openings. (The take it apart discussion has been focussed on getting a decoder in and prospects for sound.) I do try and 'keep up' especially with popular models, as old friends do like to hit me with 'now, my XYZ class, could you fit a decoder and while you are at it also, etc.'.

But to date no Hornby Terrier to fiddle with, so no experience to offer. Possibly the RoS/Dapol item is awaited. Will it be like my own recent first Dapol loco purchase I wonder? This is a class 21, (and overall very good too) but user information there is none to speak of. No instructions on body removal, no assembly or parts diagram. The mechanism construction somewhat cryptic too, more so than any other OO centre motor drive I have seen, or HO specimens come to that. Then again if it carries on running as well as it has started out, perhaps no internal interventions will ever be required, says he hopefully.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:11 pm

Thanks for your reply, Bigmet. Tweezers and toothpicks to manoeuver the crew it is, then.

One thing that I noticed is that Langlely Miniatures crew seem to just about fit in, probably without surgery. With the old Hornby Terriers I had to do a bit of arm and leg shortening. Some makes of engine crew figures seem a little too tall. At the moment, I have stuck the driver in. I tried that earlier but the superglue hadn't stuck him down after 10 minutes. I will investigate after about 30 minutes, and if he is stuck down I will do the fireman.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:02 pm

Hi Richard
I used tweezers and glue to fit crew into my ‘Terriers’.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:42 am

Crews always seem too tall to me too. I've been looking for some 1:87 British crews but any that are decent like ModelU are too expensive.
Pete.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:15 pm

What's awkward about model figures are three factors. There's a terrible tendency to make such models pretty uniform in height, rather than reflect the real variation in height and other dimensions of actual human populations. It's all too common that the slight dimensional errors in the model are typically positive, overall size tends to creep up. And they are stiff where humans are all bendy: we don't have to stand like soldiers on parade.

HO figures are a good plan for OO, especially to fit inside locos and vehicles. Helps to compensate for the reduction in interior space caused by plastic mouldings being much thicker than metal structures.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:01 am

Thanks for the replies. The job is done. :D I didn't need to amputate any feet or hands, although the fireman's shovel broke (not a problem, as you can't see the lack of the missing bit).

I agree that small locos with enclosed cabs don't need crew that have suffered from the wargaming malady of "scale-creep". It seems that figure manufacturers for both wargames and model railways assume that every male is 6' tall, but they can make the figures a little bigger if they feel like it. When I was young, fewer men were 6' or more tall than there are now. I like, and recommend the Langley Miniatures crew (no connection except as a satisfied customer) as not seeming to be too big. They also do figures with the old-fashioned caps for those with pre-grouping locomotives. They are white-metal figures, but don't usually need as much attention with craft-knife and files as some wargames figures that I could mention.

Edit: The HO figures sounds like a good idea, if they don't look too continental or American. I have an open-topped bus that I couldn't populate with OO passengers on the town bit of my layout.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”