Triang/Hornby Stephensons Rocket

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Buelligan

Triang/Hornby Stephensons Rocket

Postby Buelligan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi all, I've been after one of these for a while, but prices put me off, with non-runners going for £60+. However, last week I found 1 with a start price of £30, I won it for £31, listed as untested, last run 20 years ago. It arrived today, I popped it on the track, expecting the worst, and sure enough, there was no movement at all. So this evening I took it apart and had a little play, then put it on the rolling road and it hummed, sparked a little, and then moved very slowly and juddery. I gave everything a bit of a clean and oil and tried again and it ran for over 10 mins nonstop. Still need a bit of help/advice though. Whilst it runs fine with the body off, but once the body is back on and the rods connected, it'll run for a few seconds, then throw the body off, locking the roads and stopping the motor. Can anyone tell me how the body is supposed to be held on? All I can see on mine is a bit of metal that fits into the funnel, and looks like it should clip in to a little hook at the back end. But it seems to spring up the boiler and the funnels starts to pull off of the bit it sits on. Also its got the smoke unit in the funnel, what oil/fluid it is that I need to use to make this work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Derrick.

PanzerJohn

Re: Triang/Hornby Stephensons Rocket

Postby PanzerJohn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:00 pm

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 pm

I ran my Rocket back in the late '90's at exhibitions until it gave up the ghost, as well. Someone was also
kind enough to post the diagram, above, but as yet have not had the time to focus upon it. Let me know
how your efforts go and I shall do the same. Here is an old photo of said Rocket at exhibit:

Rocket 1.jpg
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 pm

I remotored one with a modern motor, added pick ups to the tender wheels and dcc decoder then found it would not negotiate modern Peco points due to the depth and thickness of the flanges :(

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks, but I can't see anything there that looks like it holds the body on.

Chops wrote:I ran my Rocket back in the late '90's at exhibitions until it gave up the ghost, as well. Someone was also
kind enough to post the diagram, above, but as yet have not had the time to focus upon it. Let me know
how your efforts go and I shall do the same. Here is an old photo of said Rocket at exhibit:

Rocket 1.jpg

Thanks, it's working with the body off. Will happily run on the rolling road, although I think the motor is weak as it runs a lot faster if I lift the driving wheels off the rollers, so it may struggle to actually pull anything. My main issue at the moment is the body not actually fixing down.

Mike Parkes wrote:I remotored one with a modern motor, added pick ups to the tender wheels and dcc decoder then found it would not negotiate modern Peco points due to the depth and thickness of the flanges :(

I'd read about that issue, quite possibly from you, so I may have to have a little loop just for the Rocket. Can you remember how the body fixed on? Mine doesn't seem to have any hooks, clips, or screws to hold it together. The only thing I can see, is a piece of wire that slots into the funnel, then runs back along the boiler and slots into a small hook, but it doesn't clip in properly and the wire slides upwards.

Do you have any details on what motor you fitted and how you did it?

Thanks

Chops

Postby Chops » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:52 am

"Do you have any details on what motor you fitted and how you did it?"

Ditto on that, I want to know too!!

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:I remotored one with a modern motor, added pick ups to the tender wheels and dcc decoder then found it would not negotiate modern Peco points due to the depth and thickness of the flanges :(

Was yours the triang made Rocket? I’ve just got mine going, and tried it round the track, it went over a mixture of Hornby and peck points without issue, all the points are only a few months old.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:31 pm

It should run on Peco code 100 rails but you fail to say which code you are all using. .....John
It worked last time I used it..............John

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Code 100 -recent Peco Points have less clearance at the frogs and checkrails to those they made in the 1970s/1980s taking into account the finer wheels now typically used.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:26 pm

I think it’s code 100 that I use, whatever matches with the track you get in Hornby train sets. Tried it earlier and it ran across all the points without issue. I know I’ve got a mix or Hornby and peco points, and went across the Hornby level crossing fine too. Only thing that caused a problem was the uncoupler as the screw in the bottom hit that and lifted the loco off the track, burn once I’d removed that it whizzed round for about 15 minutes.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 pm

I had the rocket made by Triang and it ran on my layout OK but that was using older Peco code 100 points in the ninties. I was unlucky and it went missing one Saturday afternoon while it was sitting on an exhibition layout. So I have not been able to try it out since. :( So may be newer Peco code 100 points have finer check rails Ect: as Mike Parks says...................John

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 am

rocket repair 002.jpg

OK, so I've got it apart. Cannot determine the ground and the positive. Any ideas? Is that chip missing off the rotor important?
Where did this red wire go? What is the little transistor thing, is that one of those suppressors to not interfere with TV signals?
Can it be removed? Is there a suitable replacement motor? Thanks in advance.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 am

If you mean the china think that looks like old diode Chops, it is a TV suppressor and make no difference to testing the motor. May upset your TV picture. But I doubt it. don't worry about which side is neg for just testing purposes it makes little deference . Only mean it will go reverse when your controller is on forwards if you get it wrong way round.

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:06 am

Thank you foot plate, there is a loose red wire, presumptively the positive lead,
where does it attach? I assume the motor grounds to the frame.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Looks like this X500 motor is missing the brushes X567 and the contact sprung rod S6503
http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/pdf/T ... 20X500.pdf
The red wire goes to the brush that is insulated from the sprung rod by the sleeve S6828; the wire would have fitted to a piece of metal identically shaped to the top of the brushes.
Note that this model uses a split chassis proving that a properly made split chassis can last years.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”