Gear problem on keith park R2586

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bufferstop

Re: Gear problem on keith park R2586

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:55 pm

I suspect Hornby's willingness to supply replacement parts FOC is very dependent on who built it and when. If parts had been outsourced in China and then a subcontractor has since disappeared or is now working for a competitor there will be little possibility of finding replacements.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:13 am

Bigmet wrote:Wasn't aware of that on the class 68. Distance purchasers would have had the option of return for refund; but I guess with Dapol the only game in town for this class the majority will have decided to 'put up or shut up'.

Regarding Dapol's general performance, I am leery of them TBH. I'll wait for reports and/or an eyes on and test running opportunity on the class 21 before committing to a purchase. My Hornbach hybrid may not be top drawer, but it looks enough like the ugliness to convince me, and runs beautifully when called upon to do so. (It's main task is to 'fail', as the prototype often did, to furnish a reason for extra loco movements as an N2, N7, B1 or any other steam loco available takes over the turn.)

I'm of the same opinion as you, Bigmet. I now await reports and reviews of the Dapol models before buying. I have bought a B4 and a newer class 73 from the second batch with a completely revised (and good) pcb, but only after I had seen what other people thought of them in the various forums. I will consider a class 21 but will not be pre-ordering one, and will watch for other peoples' experiences with them before taking the plunge. 8)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am

Bufferstop wrote:I suspect Hornby's willingness to supply replacement parts FOC is very dependent on who built it and when. If parts had been outsourced in China and then a subcontractor has since disappeared or is now working for a competitor there will be little possibility of finding replacements.

Their enforced departure from a single well established outsourced manufacturing vendor when the Sanda Kan operation was closed, and the present reliance on a fair number of outfits must make this situation potentially yet worse.

That said, the overall mechanism design and build quality has been good proven technique since the move away from Sanda Kan, and my sampling (oriented to a GNR/LNER/BR(ER) interest) has been trouble free so far. Since I run my models a lot by most people's standard's, they get enough of a work out for me to be pretty confident that there's little trouble in store (and the same applies to the Bachmann and Heljan traction I have, even if the Heljan steam loco construction is an awkward cuss!)

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”