Is it safe to buy a Hornby class 31 now?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
swiftbeam

Is it safe to buy a Hornby class 31 now?

Postby swiftbeam » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi,

I've had my eye on a Hornby R3661 for some time, but with the history of chassis rot, I've held back.
Shops now seem to have stock so would imply fresh stock is now on the shelfs.
Is it safe to buy one now, or are even these new models a problem?

Thanks.

Mountain

Re: Is it safe to buy a Hornby class 31 now?

Postby Mountain » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:08 pm

It is a difficult question to answer for even a manufacturermas sometimes the issues may not happen straight away. However, why not contact Hornby?

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Do you think they would readily admit there was ever a class 31 rot issue in the first place?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:26 pm

Best bet is to talk to someone like Hattons and find out when the last batch arrived. Getting one from a new batch is the best chance you have of avoiding it. Watch out for "new old stock". What you have to hope for is that the affected batch had all been sold before the rot showed up. It's like that, can lie dormant for years and then suddenly the whole batch is sprouting cracks and bulges. The outsourcing practises in the far east make it very difficult to maintain the freedom from contamination by lead which is required.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 pm

swiftbeam wrote:...Is it safe to buy one now, or are even these new models a problem?

They certainly are a problem. Take a good look at the model from near head on, and compare to a picture of the real thing in the same orientation. Notice that the model doesn't actually correctly represent the cabside window position. It's a poor model, in respect of the critical aspect of actually looking like the subject. Well, that's my opinion because it fails to capture what made these locos easily distinguished from the BRCW and Derby type 2s as they ran into the platform on KX suburban services...

(The Mazak rot affected the initial releases back in about 2004. No problems in this model reported since. But, Mazak is always at risk from this failure; it only needs one error in the casting shop contaminating the melt with a little lead, ahead of casting. One hopes Hornby have instituted rather closer control following their share of these unfortunate incidents...)

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:04 am

Well in this case, I think it's as safe as any other Mazak based purchase.
I guess buying it from one of the huge box shifters will have the best chance of the latest production run.
I'll take my chance.
Thanks Guys.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 am

I think recent production is likely to be safer, but there could be various batches of models from all ranges yet to show up. You can bet some hot emails passed back and forth about a decade ago and those factories learn quick, it's just that the lead can hide away for so long.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:29 am

The class 31 isn't the only model affected. See this thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... dels-list/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:44 am

The only protection that the "named" manufacturer has is to constantly pressure their producer to pressure their subcontractors (if any) on the subject of MAZAK purity. Meccano, and the War Ministry, supply division found the cause, the lesson was learned, post WW2 Meccano retained control of the production of MAZAK even when it was done externally. Has anyone ever found a post war Hornby Dublo model with a newly cast body suffering the from rot. Last report that anyone produced post war cases were restricted to the 0-6-2 tank and a couple of Duchesses which had used pre-war castings. Meccano had such faith in their range that they had huge runs of basic components made and stored. I remember the ground off patch to accommodate the Peco style coupling when production restarted.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:34 pm

It may be that now we are seeing more and more metal loco bodies that the manufacturers will have to force better quality control on these mazak casting suppliers.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Bachmann explicitly said they had 'extra measures' in place now.

I would hope that since a hand held XRD analyser is now a relatively cheap off the shelf tool for non-destructive testing, that's what they and other manufacturers would use. Test a couple of samples taken from the beginning and end of the casting run, and reject the lot if there is any trace of lead or other elements not specified in the Mazak formulation. (I well remember the first commercially produced automated XRD's, many tons of expensive equipment that had to be craned into laboratories that could afford them. And then with supervision from a team of chemists and physicists painstakingly cross calibrated with control specimens verified by the best available wet chemical and absorption/emission/mass spectographic techniques. It was about a third of my working activity over two years very early in my career.)

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:02 pm

R3661 now bought, so I'll just have to wait and see.
Looks like a very pretty loco and will look very nice on the railway :-)

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:35 pm

I have now received my new Hornby Class 31.
Three questions if I may?

Q1. Is the Class 31 'ice cube' packing meant to have the outer clear square tube sleeve over the inner packing like other Hornby packing so the inner ice cube packing fits the box snugly?
Q2. The white banding looks very green to my eye. Is the white lining meant to be whiter or white?
Q3. Is the class 31 a working fan model?

Thank you.

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Q1 Yes
Q2 Its not white, its eggshell
Q3 Dont know

:D
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:28 pm

Thank you,

My inner sleeve was missing,
The eggshell was light mint green,
My fan does not turn, but unsure if these new 31's have woking fans (some definitely do, mine was £160, so it was not the cheap Railroad!)

Anyway, I sent it back for a refund as the light mint green offended me too much!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”