Big disappointment!

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Byegad

Re: Big disappointment!

Postby Byegad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:22 am

@RAF96. I am pretty sure this happened to me when I bought a Dapol Bargain Grange, after the third one was returned I took a refund, but I'm certain No.2 was not brand new. All suffered from an uncontrolled slow then speed up over a couple of feet of running.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:58 am

RAF96 wrote:Interesting to read on the forums that more and more people are apparently getting what seem to be ‘returned and fixed’ items in lieu of what they thought were brand new items...

This problem has been around long term. The retailer is the first port of call under our customer protection legislation. Just take it back if it is faulty, or quite clearly pre-owned despite being sold as new.

If you spot a second hand item offered as new while in the shop (I always have locos unpacked, and also test run if the facility is available) it can be worth a negotiation. I have twice obtained decent discount on the new price by this method. I have also uncovered less then charming retailers with the attitude of 'you may not challenge me in my gaff', who have lost my custom on the spot. All now out of business unsurprisingly...

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Well that didn't last long! After about 50 minutes of running 1 of the rods has come off and 2 of them have now bent slightly. I may well have to give up on a Tornado, and find another older similar looking loco that's been built properly!

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm very disappointed for you and the little chap. :(
I stand by my previous comment.
End2end wrote:Hornby :roll: ...Always leave a bit of daylight between them and the end of your bargepole.

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:10 pm

End2end wrote:I'm very disappointed for you and the little chap. :(
I stand by my previous comment.
End2end wrote:Hornby :roll: ...Always leave a bit of daylight between them and the end of your bargepole.

Thanks
End2end

Yea, starting to look that way. I know Tornado is 1 of the cheapest engines they do, but I'd still expect it to actually be useable. Not even like it's through misuse, I put it on the track for him, and he's had the power switched down so it doesn't go very fast.

New modellers shop replied quickly to my email, and immediately said to send it back and they'd replace the rods for me. So my son is still disappointed, but is still (for the moment) excited about having Tornado.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Buelligan wrote:I know Tornado is 1 of the cheapest engines they do, but I'd still expect it to actually be useable.

You have to wonder if this is the reason they sell them in a train set which may only get bought out once in a while and thus less handling. :?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Sounds like it was fitted with the rods for the premium model. The Railroad model used to get thicker press "scale" rods. If the wheelbase is the same as the older Pacific's it might be possible to cross match the parts.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:26 pm

We'll see what happens when it comes back. Hopefully all will be ok, for the moment though, he used money other people gave him for his birthday today when we went to Thomas Land, in the shop they had a Hornby James, so he got himself that.

This is the damage to Tornado, the 2 circles show the 2 bits that have bent.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Well, 3rd time lucky, hopefully. A parcel arrived this morning, and rather than fixing the other and sending it back they've gone 1 better, and sent a brand new replacement. All seems ok at the moment, he's been using it a fair bit today and no issues so far.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Buelligan wrote:Well, 3rd time lucky, hopefully. A parcel arrived this morning, and rather than fixing the other and sending it back they've gone 1 better, and sent a brand new replacement. All seems ok at the moment, he's been using it a fair bit today and no issues so far.

Before you go much further running it around, give it the once over checking all nuts/screws are tight and it has been lubed per the maintenance sheet and that no rods or other motion is bent or liable to jamming.
Five minutes spent now can save grief later.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:46 pm

Yea that’s the first thing I did, put it on the rolling road for a minute to make sure it worked, then lubed it all, and checked over all the rods and pivots etc nothing looks out of place or loose on this one.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Having had problems with locomotive motion and wiring between the loco and tender many times in the past I decided to sell all of my big steam locos and replace them with diesels and small steam locomotives, happy trains means a happy modeller. :D
Regards
Nobby

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 pm

sparkhill wrote:Having had problems with locomotive motion and wiring between the loco and tender many times in the past I decided to sell all of my big steam locos and replace them with diesels and small steam locomotives, happy trains means a happy modeller. :D

Not sure I'd get away with that, the look of disgust and disinterest my kids gave me when I bought a Lima diesel a few weeks back was pretty special. They also 'boo' every time a diesel comes on screen in Thomas the tank.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 am

Congratulations, you have brought the kids up right.

And they instinctively know there's much better than Lima available now. Potentially top marks for discernment. The test will be buying something like the NRM's DP1, and seeing if there is some interest. (As a kid this was the only diesel that made a real impression working among the Doncaster wide firebox locos pounding up and down the ECML. Funky shape, interesting livery, weird and wonderful noise output, and you could hear it from miles away.)

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Haha I'll admit to knowing very little/nothing about engines. That DP1 looks very American to me, also like 1 of the characters out of Chuggington ( Brewster or Wilson, I forget which).

I'm sure the Lima isn't a great model, but as diesels go, I thought it was a nice looking one. It's the same as this, but it was cheaper and better condition: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Lim ... 5722c51e47

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”