Hornby make attempt at World Domination

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bigmet

Hornby make attempt at World Domination

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 am

Hornby's biggest 'all new tooling' annual release list in a long time - possibly the biggest ever? - I am not much of a Hornby expert. Something for everyone I should think.

Headline item is the expected renewal of the Princess Royal pacific, and they are also renewing the GWR large prairie tank and SR Terrier 0-6-0T, both well advanced and expected to beat the previously announced Dapol productions to market. There's a Peckett 0-6-0ST to fill the 'smaller 0-6-0 industrial than a J94' gap, and the ultra cute Ruston 48DS which they are wisely packaging with a shunter's truck to help with pick up.

Loads of new coaches, some wagons, and all sorts of relivery jobbies.

Even a reissue of their Arnold 'Brighton Belle', so clearly their first probe at N gauge stock was successful enough for a re-run. Which is interesting information, I feel many of us saw Hornby's going no further with this as a sign that there would be no more N gauge introductions from Hornby. Perhaps not...

Mountain

Re: Hornby make attempt at World Domination

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

Wow. I have not seen the list but who can say they have not put everything they can into the new range? Very nice. I want to look at the little Ruston for potential for 7mm narrow gauge use, but it depends on price. If too expensive then probably not for me, but others will no doubt.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Mountain wrote:I want to look at the little Ruston for potential for 7mm narrow gauge use, but it depends on price.

RRP £79.99 Loco & match truck.

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:20 pm

I haven't been able to see the full list yet but for me the 0-6-0 Peckett in NCB livery is a must have. Not only will it fit in with a shunting puzzle layout I've been planning, but it was based not far from me.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Lots of nice stuff, fair play to them for coming our fighting. The Scottish HST looks lovely, but on the pricey side. The mk2's in NR and ScotRail look winners.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:40 pm

The Belmond Pullman Train Pack R3750 does seem excellent value at Hattons (GBP203.50), given that the standalone Belmond class 67 is GBP144.00 each. Thus making the Pullmans rather inexpensive or has a big mistake been made? Could the train pack class 67 be the ex-Lima tooling with plastic chassis and not the super detailed model? I foresee a price rise before release.

That said, the R3697 Northern Belle train pack at GBP216.00 is way overpriced. The additional coach pack is available for GBP94.50, making the Railroad class 47 rather expensive at around GBP121.50. Last time offered the loco had a very dumbed down corporate livery. Perhaps licencing fees has driven up the price??????? Way over the top for a Railroad class 47 and new tooling Mk2F coaches and this is a discounted price. Credibility issue here.

I am not a fan of little locomotives, however, the B2 Peckett in NCB livery is calling me. Could be room for a couple in the stable.
Last edited by GWR_fan on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Well that's a few more pennies pre-spent on pre-orders for me then :lol:

One WD Ruston diesel and two B2 Pecketts (Sherwood and NCB - I'll narrow it down to one but not sure which yet). A couple of other tempting items too, but nothing that stands out as much as those two new ranges, which are both very welcome.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:14 pm

First of their new Terriers now arriving. Not so finely detailed with some subtle prototype features missing. On the other hand, significantly less money than many competing similar size locos. Could this be the style of the somewhat simpler and more robust model for less money, that some have long maintained is what they really want?

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:53 pm

I hope so, i have the SECR one on preorder and if its like you say a balance between detail, being able to touch it and cost i will be very happy :D

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Not having actually handled one or seen it other than by online images, no way of knowing if the detail stays put! Does it look like a Terrier? Yes. Is it an improvement over the earlier RTR model? I think so. Is the price right? Probably.

How does it compare to the Hattons' P class which has had a good reception? Over to the customers who will buy the item, for their assessments based on real experience. Unless it has a design or build quality problem, my gut says it will prove popular.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:21 pm

It shouldn't be beyond the capability of any manufacturer to turn out a solid reliable 0-6-0, just don't try to incorporate any gimmicks.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 am

If it is a match for what Hornby did for the J50, then it's sunshine all round. I have a couple of these bought four years ago, good runners straight out of the box and completely trouble free to present. Just what's wanted.

bobsson

Postby bobsson » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:21 am

With the price Hornby are asking for their locos and coaches I would say they are making an attempt at plundering peoples wallets as well :lol:

Dave.

Bigmet

Re: attempt at World Domination: ruston 48DS invades

Postby Bigmet » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am

Apparently the Ruston 48DS is hitting the shops now. Hornby play small, hopefully win big! The plug in connectors for the supplied conflat used to provide extra pick up look neat, you can have this wagon at bonnet or cab end, owner's choice.

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Just had look at it. The Ruston. £80. Are they having a laugh. Little while ago they were selling large locos like Tornados etc; less than that. Sorry chaps but I think Hornbys prices are often quite mad. What ever happened to the Railraod Range for the youngsters.
Never enough time is there.........John

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”