Class 71

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
D605Eagle

Class 71

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 am

Which is the better model? Hornby's class 71 or DJM's? I've studied various pictures of both but I can't make my mind up if there's a clear winner or not. Hornby's windows look better, DJMs buffer beam and bogies look much better, also the green that Hornby have used on this model just doesn't look right to me, it's too blue? I really want one in green with a small yellow panel, this restricts me somewhat because I'm struggling to find a DJM one in that livery. Then theres the running. I've only one DJM model (J94) and I'm not impressed with it at all.If Hornby's is as smooth as their class 87, and the DJM one is as rough as their J94, then I'm going with Hornby. So...any thoughts would be most welcome!

SRman

Re: Class 71

Postby SRman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 am

I don't think there is a clear winner, more a case of 'swings and roundabouts'.

I have two of the DJM examples, one in earlier green with red and white lining, the other in the later darker green with small yellow panels and no lining. I like the overall look of the models. They are smooth running but not particularly fast (not an issue on my layout, where I want the trains to wind slowly along the viaducts).

The Hornby one is faster and a little more powerful, and also very smooth (there's nothing to choose between the two types for smoothness). Internally, the DJ M model has a lot more room to play with, whereas the Hornby one has caused some difficulties for people fitting DCC decoders, and even more difficulties for those wanting to fit sound. The DJ model is a doddle to fit with sound and a decent speaker.

Here's a video taken a while ago of E5003 in darker green with Legomanbiffo sound running around my underground section. You can judge the smoothness for yourself. I want to do a more up to date video on the upper level of my layout, but our two cats have hidden the camera - they think it's a toy just for them. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNl3RNeraU8&t=138s&ab_channel=JeffreyLynn

Two recently taken photos of the DJ Models examples posed on my programming/scenic track: E5004 in early green, E5003 in darker green.

P_20190103_000732_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20190103_000959_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 am

Apparently, the motor is not particularly reliable on the Hornby version. Reports of multiple motor failures. It continues to shock/amaze me that a GBP120.00 plus model can have a motor I can source from China for about one quid including airmail postage. As SRman has stated there are issues fitting a decoder (non-sound) to the Hornby model as well.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:27 am

Where there is direct competition like this, I would want to see both in the flesh, and ideally side by side. Take along the best photographs you have available, give them both a good look over.

Also should offer the opportunity to see them run. (Personally I have no time for a model which cannot make maximum scale speed and haul whatever the prototype was capable of; but that's a specific requirement of someone who has a layout on which this is realistic. However there is a 'political' aspect to this: I am opposed to the idea that sluggish models become generally acceptable and would rally others to this cause. There's perfectly well established technique to have the models run smoothly down to a dead slow crawl, and make maximum scale speed and have full tractive capability, this is not rocket science and operating performance is equally an aspect of accuracy of the model as exterior appearance.)

RFS

Postby RFS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 am

I had the DJM model at first but it was very slow, and underpowered for my needs. I tried it on an 8-coach train with 3-4 Hornby Pullmans and top speed (as measured by Traincontroller software) was little more that 45mph. It was also quite noisy with a lot of gear-clicking. I gave up on it and returned it for a refund on this basis, with the cost credited to my 4-TC purchase.

The Hornby model was much better: I have a rendition of the Golden Arrow with 7 Hornby Pullmans, 2 Bachmann MK1s and a bogie luggage van and it has no problem at all with this, whereas the DJM practically slipped to a stand trying to start it.

As far as decoder fitting is concerned, the Lenz Silver Direct fits perfectly, and the Zimo MX600R also fits provided you remove the representation of the generator and also remove the pickup spring from the overhead pantograph which just unscrews.
Robert Smith

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. It looks like I might have to go with the Hornby version as mine will have to pull 3 Hornby pullmans + 5 or 6 Mk1's up a 1:66. I think I prefer the DJM body, but as Bigmet likes, I like my trains to run at a scale speed. The other issue is I really want one in green with small yellow panels, and I've yet to find a DJM one in that livery at a price I'm prepared to pay.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:22 pm

I ended up buying a hornby version of E5001. At £75 for a brand new model, I couldn't say no. It's way better in the flesh than any pictures I've seen, I absolutely love it! Thanks for all your tips and hints, I think I've made the right choice.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”