Hornby TTS - Valenta or MTU?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby TTS - Valenta or MTU?

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Hornby have just released the TTS as a standalone dual decoder with the MTU sound file. Odd that the class 43 was just released in the Intercity Swallow livery with the prototypical Valenta sound file. I find it odd that the option of a Valenta file is not offered with the standalone dual TTS decoder. I would imagine that there is a demand for the Valenta file or is this a marketing ploy to increase sales of the Swallow livery class 43?

MickleoverTestTrack

Re: Hornby TTS - Valenta or MTU?

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:18 am

It could be, or it could also be that they sell more sound fitted power cars from the Valenta era so don't have the stock to sell it as standalone.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:04 am

MickleoverTestTrack wrote:It could be, or it could also be that they sell more sound fitted power cars from the Valenta era so don't have the stock to sell it as standalone.

I thought that the latest Swallow livery is the only Valenta powered class 43 TTS released. What other Valenta file class 43 have Hornby released, please? There are many Valenta prototype class 43 that Hornby have released without sound and these would provide a market for a standalone Valenta file decoder set. The later Hornby Virgin Coke swirl livery from around 2015/16 period livery was factory TTS MTU powered. The East Coast livery could also be a market for the MTU but definitely there are more models previously available/released that would require the Valenta file chip.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Just check the road number, MTU re-engined HSTs carried +200 numbers, eg 43100 = 43300, etc.

There were a few that had Mirlees engines. Some liveries were only seen with certain engines.

Ref: Class 43 Locomotives by Andrew Cole.

At risk of high jacking the thread I am intrigued by the rework timing introducing the various headlight ‘masks’. There seems to be little logic to it - a tad random.

Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

MickleoverTestTrack

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 pm

GWR_fan wrote:I thought that the latest Swallow livery is the only Valenta powered class 43 TTS released. What other Valenta file class 43 have Hornby released, please? There are many Valenta prototype class 43 that Hornby have released without sound and these would provide a market for a standalone Valenta file decoder set. The later Hornby Virgin Coke swirl livery from around 2015/16 period livery was factory TTS MTU powered. The East Coast livery could also be a market for the MTU but definitely there are more models previously available/released that would require the Valenta file chip.

At a guess I would say the Swallow livery will outsell the Virgin livery by some margin. Perhaps they overestimated demand for the MTU sound decoders in the VTEC livery and had the capacity to sell them as a standalone product but underestimated demand for the Swallow livery and don't have enough spare. I'm sure if they think there is a demand and they can sell decoders at a profit they will bring them to market eventually.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:02 pm

RAFHAAA96 wrote:Just check the road number, MTU re-engined HSTs carried +200 numbers, eg 43100 = 43300, etc.

There were a few that had Mirlees engines. Some liveries were only seen with certain engines.

Rob

When you say Mirlees, are you referring to the VP185 engines?

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 pm

D605Eagle wrote:
RAFHAAA96 wrote:Just check the road number, MTU re-engined HSTs carried +200 numbers, eg 43100 = 43300, etc.

Rob

When you say Mirlees, are you referring to the VP185 engines?

My book says four of the fleet were experimentally fitted with Mirrlees Blackstone MB190 engines but they were never fitted en-masse.....
A small number were fitted with Paxman 12VP185 engines...

Rob
β-tester

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:15 pm

oooh I didn't know that! IIRC the midland main line HSTs are VP185 fitted, all the rest have MTUs

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 pm

D605Eagle wrote:oooh I didn't know that! IIRC the midland main line HSTs are VP185 fitted, all the rest have MTUs

Andrew Coles book is worth a read. It doesn’t take long to soak in the text as its mostly pictures, running number by number.

I got mine through WH Smith online delivered to my local shop inside a week for about 2/3 Amazons price.
Rob
β-tester

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”