Fowler 2-6-4t quieter running

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
trainthusiast101

Fowler 2-6-4t quieter running

Post by trainthusiast101 »

Hi everyone, I've brought my old Hornby loco collection out from the loft in order to give them a good clean and once over. Among them is a Fowler 2-6-4t which I remember getting for my 11th Birthday. This was my favourite engine as a kid.

I don't think it's ever been serviced, and my adult-self' s finds it's noise levels somewhat annoying.

I've cleaned the wheels and lubricated everything that needed to be lubricated, which has certainly helped improve its running condition, but it is still a very noisy runner even at slow speeds.

Can anyone offer any ideas what I can do to help make it quieter?

Many thanks
Bufferstop

Re: Fowler 2-6-4t quieter running

Post by Bufferstop »

Is yours fitted with the magic screw accessed through a hole in the bunker, it was supposed to adjust between pulling power and speed. As far as I remember all it did was make it run noisily. The problem is most likely one of perception. I think all of the HD locos were considerably noisier than modern models. You could always try packing the body with platicene.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
trainthusiast101

Yes, the body is released from the chassis by unscrewing a single screw underneath the coal bunker. I wasn't sure whether it was an outdated motor (around 1998-1999), which has its copper wiring exposed whereas I've seen other motors online with more concealed motor parts.
Bufferstop wrote:Is yours fitted with the magic screw accessed through a hole in the bunker, it was supposed to adjust between pulling power and speed. As far as I remember all it did was make it run noisily. The problem is most likely one of perception. I think all of the HD locos were considerably noisier than modern models. You could always try packing the body with platicene.
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Bufferstop wrote:I think all of the HD locos were considerably noisier than modern models.
The HD 2-6-4T was a BR standard not a Fowler though some chassis were used under a kit built Fowler body. As to noise the ringfield steam locos were whisper quiet and a match for modern models.

Back on subject, have the motor bearings been lubricated and the gears greased? You could try and find a replacement motor, these can be had secondhand but I'd be looking at replacing the brushes first which can make a loco noisy if they're worn. You could also look into replacing the motor magnet should they be made for your model.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

trainthusiast101 wrote:... This was my favourite engine as a kid. I don't think it's ever been serviced, and my adult-self' s finds it's noise levels somewhat annoying...
I would tend to the thought that you got your money's worth of running from it when you were younger, and now having got it running well enough with a little lubrication, most of the noise will be the result of wear to a pretty basic design from that earlier use.

My suggestion, enjoy it for what it is. If you sample a couple of modern model designs that will give you a feel for what is now available, and how much they appeal to your adult self. There has been very significant progress since you were last purchasing model railway product, you will notice the difference.
trainthusiast101

No worries, I wouldn't trade it for anything as it's a lovely loco and probably the one I best looked after. As long as I can keep it running as softly and fluidly that's good enough for me.
Bigmet wrote:
trainthusiast101 wrote:... This was my favourite engine as a kid. I don't think it's ever been serviced, and my adult-self' s finds it's noise levels somewhat annoying...
I would tend to the thought that you got your money's worth of running from it when you were younger, and now having got it running well enough with a little lubrication, most of the noise will be the result of wear to a pretty basic design from that earlier use.

My suggestion, enjoy it for what it is. If you sample a couple of modern model designs that will give you a feel for what is now available, and how much they appeal to your adult self. There has been very significant progress since you were last purchasing model railway product, you will notice the difference.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I think there may be some confusion here? The Fowler 2-6-4 is a Hornby (not Dublo) model with a plastic body. I believe that the early ones had an X04/X03 motor with an open frame. These can be very noisy if they've not been serviced for a while, but can be quietened significantly by oiling the bearings at each end of the motor shaft. Be very careful though not to get oil on the commutator or brushes. I would oil the commutator end of the motor from the worm side to reduce the risk and to prevent oil being flung outwards onto the commutator when the motor is running at speed.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

IF the owner's date of acquisition was - as mentioned up post - from new in 1998/9 then I would expect a type 7 motor. That could be well ragged by now. Are replacement motors still available? (Wouldn't want to raise hopes if they are not.)
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

GeraldH wrote:I think there may be some confusion here? The Fowler 2-6-4 is a Hornby (not Dublo) model with a plastic body. I believe that the early ones had an X04/X03 motor with an open frame. These can be very noisy if they've not been serviced for a while, but can be quietened significantly by oiling the bearings at each end of the motor shaft. Be very careful though not to get oil on the commutator or brushes. I would oil the commutator end of the motor from the worm side to reduce the risk and to prevent oil being flung outwards onto the commutator when the motor is running at speed.
Agree Gerald - I had one and from new it was noticeably noisier than my other stock, something that I put down to the X04, think it was the largest loco that I had with this motor. To get rid of the noise I sold it on Ebay and bought a Bachmann Fairburn, more prototypical for my area anyway :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
trainthusiast101

Hi Gerald, sorry about the confusion. If it helps, the model is registered as an "R3020 Class 4P Fowler 2-6-4T 2308 in LMS lined Crimson Lake' according to Hattons, I'm not sure if it's the same as it was 20 years ago as I lost the original packaging.
GeraldH wrote:I think there may be some confusion here? The Fowler 2-6-4 is a Hornby (not Dublo) model with a plastic body. I believe that the early ones had an X04/X03 motor with an open frame. These can be very noisy if they've not been serviced for a while, but can be quietened significantly by oiling the bearings at each end of the motor shaft. Be very careful though not to get oil on the commutator or brushes. I would oil the commutator end of the motor from the worm side to reduce the risk and to prevent oil being flung outwards onto the commutator when the motor is running at speed.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Thats a recent built Chinese built one with the later chassis and finescale wheels. I expect yours is R299 (number on the loco is 2309?) from 1996 which has that awful SSPP chassis with a type 7 motor. If you love it so much I expect the best option it to watch ebay for maroon modern 2-6-4Ts (one with an r number of 4 digits) and buy one for its chassis. You can sell the body on and recuperate some of the cost of buying it.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Heres one for the chassis
clicky