Advice needed

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
b9y

Advice needed

Postby b9y » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Hello,

I decided to make an impulse purchase of the Hornby Tornado Pullman set. I ordered it at 7:15pm this evening and by 7:40pm had picked it up. I set everything up, ran the loco at a reasonably slow speed etc. I stopped the loco, reversed it for a couple of minutes, stopped it and went forward again. About 2 minutes later, train's running like a dream. Then it starts to judder, completely stops. So I up the power a little and nudge it forward as I assumed maybe the track (even though new) needed cleaning a little as it may have been boxed for a while, or even the loco needed lubricating perhaps. Anyway, it keeps juddering so I stop to inspect it, only to find a conrod is bent outwards? No idea how this happened. It was taken out of the box per the instructions Hornby provides, and let's be honest, it's not that hard to carefully remove a train from a box. So this was all over by 8:20pm pretty much.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening on it's own free ...wheel? (Sorry, sorry).

I'm concerned as I've just spent £100, and I've used it for i don't know, 15 minutes in total? I've had model railways as a kid and this was my first one in a long time, but I know the correct way to use them i.e not being a manic with the throttle.

luckymucklebackit

Re: Advice needed

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 pm

This must have been a fault with the product, I would contact the vendor immediately and ask for a replacement. It happens with model locomotives as often as fridges, TVs and other appliances and the same rules apply - if it doesn't work, the onus is on the vendor to replace.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Yes, a not that uncommon occurence.

The problem is a simple one, the connecting rod caught on the leading crankpin from your description, reversing should free it. Then it needs the connecting rod reshaping as it probably will not resume correct shape. (The alternative is to obtain vendor replacement as suggested.)

The cause of the problem, big engine on track curves far too small in radius, has to be made very sloppy in the running gear to get around those curves, and fouling of the rods on crankpins and fixed structure is possible. In the old days the rods were steel and well overscale, now by popular demand made near scale and typically in etched brass, much less strong and apt to bend if caught. (The old style steel rods would just stop the mechanism dead.)

Where to go from here? It depends on your interest in model railway. If it appeals then you inspect and adjust/alter all new purchases to avoid this problem, possibly laying flexible track on much larger radius curvature to ensure this problem doesn't occur. The upside from this enthusiast's perspective is that the modern RTR model is of a standard that once needed skilled kit building to achieve, and the mechanisms run very nicely indeed.

b9y

Postby b9y » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks guys. I just can't believe Hornby wouldn't foresee this as an issue! Wishful thinking perhaps. I wouldn't want to modify the loco myself though, guess I'll ask for a refund.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 pm

b9y wrote:Hello,

..... it keeps juddering so I stop to inspect it, only to find a conrod is bent outwards? No idea how this happened.

As typically happens with new Hornby locomotives the eccentric crank securing screw on the middle driving wheel has loosened off allowing the crank to move out of position. This causes the valve gear to lock up resulting in bent rods. On every new or used Hornby loco purchased I methodically check the coupling rod bolts for security prior running. These have a well documented history of working loose.

You could check for this by slowly running the loco until the mount bolt on the centre driving wheel is at the 6 pm position. If correctly "timed" then the eccentric crank (which the bolt secures) will either be positioned vertically or ever so slightly forward. The bolt is tightened with the crank in this position. Peters Spares sell a special tool for this bolt. You need to check on the centre driving wheel on both sides of the loco. The rods can be carefully encouraged back into shape.

If not confident of achieving this then return as defective or ask the vendor to repair or replace.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:17 pm

GWR_fan wrote: Peters Spares sell a special tool for this bolt.

Is this the new tool revealed by Hornby for 2018 release?
Personally I'd send it back though.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Refer this thread -
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52493

The Hornby tool is different but obviously will do the same job. This is the tool from Peters spares -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/78032-Hex-He ... 1438.l2649

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:13 am

Or with 15 free screwdrivers :o

jewellers screwdriver
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

b9y

Postby b9y » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Not confident in the slightest haha. Got a refund. I wanted to build a OO shunting yard and eventually look at making a small little heritage line. But to be honest I'm walking before I can run. No biggy, got an n gauge layout to practise modelling on and stuff for now. Cheers for the advice guys, i shall definitely know for next time!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 pm

b9y wrote: I wanted to build a OO shunting yard and eventually look at making a small little heritage line.

A Gronk (class 08) would be happy on both of those.
In fact it's happy almost anywhere.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b9y

Postby b9y » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 pm

My friend happens to have one! Hoorah...I'll have to see if he'll let me borrow it when I move to Belfast.

LocoLoans, is there a market for that? Like Wonga, for us.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 am

b9y wrote:...LocoLoans, is there a market for that? Like Wonga, for us.

It's called 'second hand'. There's quite a turnover applying to newer models, some from buyers who just have to have the latest, get bored with it, sell it on to help fund the next purchase; some from people completely changing their modelling subject; some from people chopping in a model when the livery they really wanted becomes available; some because the owner cannot pursue the hobby any more.

b9y

Postby b9y » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 am

Bigmet wrote:
b9y wrote:...LocoLoans, is there a market for that? Like Wonga, for us.

It's called 'second hand'. There's quite a turnover applying to newer models, some from buyers who just have to have the latest, get bored with it, sell it on to help fund the next purchase; some from people completely changing their modelling subject; some from people chopping in a model when the livery they really wanted becomes available; some because the owner cannot pursue the hobby any more.

I actually meant a way of hiring locos!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 am

b9y wrote:...I actually meant a way of hiring locos!

Try it out on a retailer! In small consumer goods where items are hired out, the deposit is the full retail price of the item, and then there's a (steep) hire charge on top. I did it once when I required a fast telephoto lens for one day, and the £250 (24hrs hire + insurance) on a £7000 lens made sense, got the pictures for the friend who was paying for them.

Honestly, s/h is the way.

b9y

Postby b9y » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Bigmet wrote:
b9y wrote:...I actually meant a way of hiring locos!

Try it out on a retailer! In small consumer goods where items are hired out, the deposit is the full retail price of the item, and then there's a (steep) hire charge on top. I did it once when I required a fast telephoto lens for one day, and the £250 (24hrs hire + insurance) on a £7000 lens made sense, got the pictures for the friend who was paying for them.

Honestly, s/h is the way.

It's ok i was only joking anyway, i think in reality it would be dire haha.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”