Hornby Triang Trestrol rewheel

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
D605Eagle

Hornby Triang Trestrol rewheel

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:48 pm

I've just bought a very nice example of a triang trestrol wagon and I want to upgrade it with modern wheels. Firstly did these have pans or spoked wheels, and how do I modify the bogies to take them? at the minute it has triang split axle wheels on blunt ended axles. The bogies are plastic.
Cheers
Jim

Bufferstop

Re: Hornby Triang Trestrol rewheel

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:36 pm

I'd be prepared to have to fit new bogies, Carefully push out the axle pins and drop the wheels out. Check the flexibility of the plastic, if it's hard it may also be brittle, in which case the nearest match in modern bogies is the best bet. I did a few changing the Triang wheels for Peco nylon ones. Brass bearing caps weren't available, I drilled a fine hole in the end of a piece of plastic knitting needle and opened it into a cone with a rat tail swiss file, then pushed them in through the axle boxes till the wheels were centred and turned free. put a spot of glue on the end and a dab of black paint once it set. There were the odd cowboys round who bashed the end of a matchstick and poked it in whilst turning the wheels. It seemed to work, but for how long I haven't a clue.
Today I'd go straight for the replacement bogie.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Very desireable wagon, although a sort of hybrid of Trestrols B and C. I have never had a bogie problem with the half dozen or so I have seen for general tarting up or cutting up to make into other wagons. Spring the sides apart to get the old axles out, put in brass bearing cups and pinpoint 12mm three hole discs or plain discs (peer at the photos - see below - and make your choice!) and you are done on that front. A good chance that something different was fitted later in service anyway... 'Plate over' the ugly bogie pivot rivet, detail the buffer beaems to taste, etc.

Good photos in Tatlow's LNER wagons vol 4B which gives a good idea of the trestle structure to support the plates, there's also a photo and drawing of the related Weltrol P, which definitely has a three hole disc wheel in its six wheel bogies.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 pm

I have upgraded wheels on old Triang cast metal chassis by threading new wheels onto the old Triang axles. I used cuts of drinks straw to make spacers on the outsides of the new wheels. It is important to use the old Triang axles as they are made for the job. I used Romford 10.5mm wheels for the wagon bogies, which I made into little narrow gauge waggons. Not sure if now Makits make those wheels or not. Hornby metal wheels should work, but are likely to be too large for the bogies. But there again they may be ideal!
Last edited by Mountain on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks for the tips. The main reason I bought one a few months ago I was wandering round the yard a Baron street trying to find where our traction motors had been hidden and came across a trestrol wagon, and was impressed with its massive construction. Shame that it seems to have been somewhat abandoned. It would look fabulous on a demo freight train with something appropriately big and heavy in its well.
I have some fine pinpoint bearings like the ones you get in a parkside wagon kit, I'll give them a try.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:07 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Thanks for the tips. The main reason I bought one a few months ago I was wandering round the yard a Baron street trying to find where our traction motors had been hidden and came across a trestrol wagon, and was impressed with its massive construction. Shame that it seems to have been somewhat abandoned. It would look fabulous on a demo freight train with something appropriately big and heavy in its well.
I have some fine pinpoint bearings like the ones you get in a parkside wagon kit, I'll give them a try.

If retaining the old cast metal bogies, you will find bearings won't work as there is no flex to fit the pinpoint wheels in. (Why i mentioned using the Triang axles and sliding new wheels onto them). If you have plastic bogies or chassis, then top hat bearings work well with new wheels.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 pm

I was looking for the photo where I had covered it on the forum but found I put it on a different forum.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 pm

If the bogies are plastic with split wheelsets on a metal axle, the plastic is likely to be too rigid for springing in a metal axle. At one time Peco made replacement half axle wheels with a finer profile. If we tried to spring in their nylon pinpoint wheelsets there was always a risk of bending the pinpoint at ones end, hence the performance to push some sort of bearing in through the axle hole.
Later versions of plastic bogies were more flexible and fitted with either wholy plastic wheelsets or plastic with pressed on metal rims, which are much simpler to deal with. The design of the axle and bogie or underframe on the early models isn't immediately obvious to anyone brought up on the more recent designs. The axle had splines on it which gripped one half axle, the other half being free to rotate and more importantly to slide from side to side. The back to back on open track was too narrow to pass successfully through early versions of the Triang points. Having one half axle free to slide sideways allowed the two halves to move apart slightly whilst passing through the check rail. The inside faces of the axleboxes were close enough together to prevent the back to back opening up too far, but made it much more difficult to spring in a one piece wheelset.
When they went to their own one piece wheelsets they cut a v shape below the axle hole to make it easier to get the pinpoint into the hole. The plastic used changed several times over the years, ending up with a far more flexible low friction material.

Edited to remove Google Keyboards artificial lack of intelligence.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 am

The bogies are quite flexible, the wheelsets came out with ease. The bearings I had just pushed into the old axle holes with the touch of a soldering iron to let them sink just a tiny bit more. I didn't even bother gluing them in. The couplings are held in with a screw so changing them for bachmann short small ones was easy as well. Just 15 minutes work and its transformed.
Thanks for all your points guys, its appreciated.
Jim

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 am

Good fortune was on your side Jim. You got one of the later variants of the plastic. Did it have the original Triang chopper couplers or the later large D tensionlocks? it's usually an indicator of which plastic it will be made from. It's definitely one they should have kept in the catalogue.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 am

It had the D type tension lock couplings. I'm guessing it's very late 60s as it has the modifications done to it that were for the battlespace range. It would make a really good wagon even today with a few tweaks, although it's quite short scale wise. The original is 71ft in length.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”