Railroad Flying Scotsman behaviour

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
brighton rock

Railroad Flying Scotsman behaviour

Postby brighton rock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 pm

My new Flying Scotsman is running but not stopping or slowing by command from my Select controller....I had suspicion that it was not correctly sitting on the track, but all seems ok.
It starts fine and runs for 3 circuits but then it just keeps going until the power is completely turned off.
Any ideas.

alex3410

Re: Railroad Flying Scotsman behaviour

Postby alex3410 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Have you cleaned the track & the wheels of the loco?

Thought process is the commands could not be getting through to the loco due to dirt

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 pm

I thought if a signal is lost then the decoder would fail to respond, shutting down. I wonder if CV4 is set to maximum causing the loco to ever so slowly decelerate, however, you shut off power before it has a chance to visibly slow down. The loco stopping due removal of power shows that power is available to the decoder.

Are you able to see if the Select itself is at fault. do you have other DCC locomotives to test? Perhaps either the Select itself or the decoder requires a reset to factory specs.

Edit: I had an issue with an NCE decoder on a Bachmann locomotive, whereby the loco under DCC control would suddenly take off uncontrolled, usually in the opposite direction to that selected digitally. This was attributed to the decoder sensing alternate power and reverting to analogue control even though analogue power was not present. Disabling DC operation solved the issue.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 am

From what I understood if the signals get interrupted then the loco will continue doing what it was doing (assuming the powers not been interrupted) so if the stop command has been corrupted/lost due to dirt it will keep running as if its not heard the stop command. Either way, it's worth checking because clean rails/wheels is always a good idea.

I have had similar issues in the past but my fail-safe solution is to reset the decoder (sometimes it requires a few resets to work, once the address is back at 3 you know its done).

The trouble for the OP is i don't think the select can reset decoders? or even program CV's for turning off the DC running or changing the decelerate rate won't be possible. (i have not had a select so could be wrong but i am sure i have read this before)

You could try changing the address of the loco to see if this helps? or see if a friend/club /shop can test it on their DCC set up for you & possibly reset the decoder.

Or if you have another decoder switch them around to see if its the loco or the decoder that's the issue.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Two things
1] There is a chip fitted
2 And if there is is it the right round

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 pm

trainlover23 wrote:Two things
1] There is a chip fitted
2 And if there is is it the right round

Both points are worth checking but from my experience:
1) The loco won't run, it will sit on the track making a loudish buzzing sound (DCC current is AC, not DC the trains need without DCC chip) note: this is not a good idea as I believe it can cause damage to motors.
2) The loco will run in reverse but should still speed up/slow down - it will just be going backwards to what the DCC controller thinks it's doing.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:35 pm

brighton rock wrote:...It starts fine and runs for 3 circuits but then it just keeps going until the power is completely turned off.

So it starts from a stand OK.

Is there any significance in the '3 circuits', as in if you give it a stop command before it has done 3 circuits it slows down to a stop normally?

Does the loco show the refusal to stop if run in reverse, or when turned round on the track?

Have you tried the loco at dead slow to see if it starts and stops normally?

Do you have other DCC decoder equipped locos, and if so are they working normally on the layout?

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Make sure you have loco zero selected on your Select and speed turned down to minimum as if selected to 'go' by mistake this will affect the DCC signal and can cause running errors. You can reset the Select and you will get the option to disable running a DC loco (zero).

Your other problem could be DC running is enabled on your loco which is a pest as you cant access CV29 with your Select to turn it off. Allowing DC running can cause DCC runaways.

As stated above does it eventually answer the throttle if so check the CV3/4 accel/decell rates as they may be set to large numbers meaning throttle response will be tardy.

Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 pm

My first action would be to disable dc running. If this can't be done with your controller, maybe you can find someone with a better system to do it for you, a model shop or friend might be able to help.
Pete.

brighton rock

Postby brighton rock » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 am

All of the suggestions given are worthy of note...so first of all the track was cleaned just before I received the new loco.

I have now run all my other DCC locos to determine if there was problem with the Select commands getting to the locos...all successfully run.
Last of all I then tried the Flying Scotsman and surprise surprise it ran, it accepted speed changes as was expected, then it accelerated and decelerated uncommanded. I conclude that the chip acceleration and deceleration programs are set.

So if the Select cannot change the acceleration and deceleration, I have to get it reset by another means...I have a local shop where I can get this done next time I visit.

thanks for the inputs and advice.

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 pm

The Select can change address and accel and decell but not much else.
Its all in the famous manual.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”