Class 08 R3484 - Liveries

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Sails

Class 08 R3484 - Liveries

Postby Sails » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 am

All,

Did Hornby produce any of these 08's in livieries other than the Green with late logo? This model is really nicely detailed and having it in another colour scheme would be nice.

Regards,

Mark

Bigmet

Re: Class 08 R3484 - Liveries

Postby Bigmet » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 am

Alternatives currently listed as new stock at Hattons include a couple in BR blue, and a fairly lurid FGW liveried specimen, with other variations to come including DB Schneker. Example: http://www.hattons.co.uk/98077/Hornby_R ... etail.aspx

Plenty of other retailers out there who may have yet other variants, (I use Hattons for this kind of scoping because their site navigation is so simple).

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Until very recently, several retailers were selling off the yellow Network Rail version relatively cheaply (around £69 - £70). A quick check just now suggests they may have sold out.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 pm

I have a B.R. blue liveried version. Need to sort it as from new it has suffered from motor squeel which makes the thing suddenly run slow. It is caused by vibration. Sometimes a very slight bit of lubrication sorts the issue out, but this one is going to need me to open up the motor and add a spacing shim to prevent its vibration. These days motors are not as easy to open up as they used to be. They do open up, though they are not designed for easy maintenance like older motors were. Just another job to tackle one day!

Sails

Postby Sails » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks all, the DB Schneker looks good,

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:57 am

Mountain wrote:I have a B.R. blue liveried version. Need to sort it as from new it has suffered from motor squeel which makes the thing suddenly run slow. It is caused by vibration. Sometimes a very slight bit of lubrication sorts the issue out, but this one is going to need me to open up the motor and add a spacing shim to prevent its vibration. These days motors are not as easy to open up as they used to be. They do open up, though they are not designed for easy maintenance like older motors were. Just another job to tackle one day!

A few years ago when I bought the grey 09 012, Dick Hardy, it had a loud squeal which I traced to the layshaft half way down the gear train, not the motor bearings I had suspected as the usual cause for such a squeal. Removing the top cover, which also acts as the motor retainer for that end, allowed a bit of oil to be introduced to the shaft ends and cured the noise after a short running session.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks for that. Probably why when I lubricated it, it didnt quieten down as I was lubricating the wrong bit! I'm always careful with lubricating motors as many times I've overdone it only to have a larger job of carefully cleaning the commutators. After many times doing this, I have found toothpaste and toothbrush used gently to bring them up to a shine, but one needs to be gentle.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”