New CEO at Hornby

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
PanzerJohn

New CEO at Hornby

Postby PanzerJohn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Hornby Hobbies Ltd has today announced that it has appointed Lyndon Davies as the company's new Chief Executive Officer. Lyndon Davies will be a familiar name to many in the railway modelling hobby – he is the Chairman of Oxford Diecast.

The Hornby announcement (published on the company's website) states that "He remains the majority shareholder of LCD Enterprises Limited ("LCD"), the ultimate owner of the Oxford Diecast brands." and goes on to say that "Hornby is exploring the opportunity to invest in LCD".

Following his appointment, "Lyndon Davies will appoint Tim Mulhall and Simon Kohler as operational consultants who will report directly to him and the Board."

Bigmet

Re: New CEO at Hornby

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:58 pm

So the Oxford Rail entry must have put the frighteners on Hornby then. My suspicion would be some pretty brisk action to offload whatever it is that isn't working at Hornby. Wait and see time.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Oh, I get what you mean by what I said in the earlier post! :lol: I must say this has come as a nice surprize. I wish them all success in their future venture. :)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:48 pm

I locked the previous thread and pointed to this one so that our comments don't get split between the two.

.....and this is me being myself the modeller. There seems to be a whole different ethos at Oxford and he's wasted no time in recruiting two capable henchmen. I'd say "invetsing in Oxford" is an odd way of describing what Hornby needs to do, we shall see what he means, no doubt.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Apologies through bringing forward as I was puzzled a bit by what Bigmet said untill I read this new thread.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:39 pm

PanzerJohn wrote:........................ he is the Chairman of Oxford Diecast........"He remains the majority shareholder of LCD Enterprises Limited ("LCD"), the ultimate owner of the Oxford Diecast brands." and goes on to say that "Hornby is exploring the opportunity to invest in LCD"......

What capital will Hornby have to invest in Oxford Diecast? Perhaps another share float (that will drop the price of existing shares) or maybe a little asset shedding to raise such capital. Divesting the company of dead wood will be a start and I am sure the new chairman will have the expertise to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The Hornby brandname will one day be part of the Oxford Diecast family (at least still in British ownership).

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Hornby has two entities with value that they could invest into Oxford, its name, and the intellectual copyright on its designs. I would imagine the rest of its physical assets may just about cover its borrowings and its commitments in terms of pensions and other staff entitlements. This might herald a repetition of Lines Bros/Triang's takeover of Hornby from Meccano. Interesting times!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:56 am

Bufferstop wrote:Hornby has two entities with value that they could invest into Oxford, its name, and the intellectual copyright on its designs. I would imagine the rest of its physical assets may just about cover its borrowings and its commitments in terms of pensions and other staff entitlements. This might herald a repetition of Lines Bros/Triang's takeover of Hornby from Meccano. Interesting times!

As long as they dont drop the budget little shunters and budget wagons and wagon packs I'm happy. It would be good for them to keep making basic Hornby spares for older and newer models. Things like wagon and coach wheels, con rods, motor brushes (Especially for older motors), motors and gears, buffers and coupling hooks of various popular types, just to keep modellers buying into the brand. It is a feel good factor to know the model you are buying will have spares available should one need them.
One really good thing that I always admired was in their 1978 catalogue they had one of the most fantastic layout designs I have seen for fitting on a board (Anyone remember it?). It just looked right. The way that the siding was approached via coming off a curve just made it feel real, and the platform.. The buildings and structures. It was the way it all went together.
I also feel that if such a plan was copied onto coloured paper (Even if it came in several sheets) and the sheets contained the look of scenery and ballast but not the track itself printed on (Though a track plan would be needed separately to assist), one could glue the sheet(s) onto a board and end up with a brilliant layout!
I like the idea of the plastic sheets but they are just too shiney and having the track printed on doesnt look so good if one wants to use the sheet on a board.
Not sure if the preformed 1978 plastic sheets would sell, but paper versions are likely to. How about making preformed contoured ground parts separately for glueing onto the pre printed paper sheets? Just some ideas they could do.
In 1978, they also had another fantastic item. One of the most impressive station kits I've seen! The building was big... Never seen one form real, but it was impressive in the catalogue!
The later layout design recommendations were too much trainsetty. The '78 version somehow made a trainset feel like a model railway yet keeping the simplicity of the sectional track and the various standard Hornby buildings and structures available back then.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

Don't hope too hard for the spares. Making spare parts for past designs doesn't feature in the modern production methodology. There may be small supplies of components left over at the end of production runs, usually because different shapes, materials or processes work best or most economically with specific batch sizes. I think it's preferable for companies like Peter's Spares to take on the task, and manufacturers would do well to consider selling or giving their old tooling to such companies to look after future needs.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:06 am

Whatever happens, it is well to remember that Mr Davies has his heart in the right place with respect to this light industry, and wants to operate it with an intent that at some point it can fully return to the UK. So even if the immediate outcomes are not universally approved, you can be pretty sure that in his judgement it is what is necessary at this time. It would be hard to argue against the opinion of someone with his depth of experience in this sector: which is not the same as a guarantee that all his decisions will be the best possible.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”