schools class rewheeling a rewheel

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
rejrob

schools class rewheeling a rewheel

Postby rejrob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi every one.I saw some time ago a youtube piece where the rubber tired wheels on a schools class had been
n replaced by metal tired wheels,SO, having 5 schools loco,s on the layout and having had rubber tyres come off the wheel,I decided to change mine.After trawling every spares shop in the UK ,I changed all of them,the result,stationary loco,s(would not budge)Queens english was put to the test and decided to revert to square 1.Not ideal but all are now working well ,to today.Stop laughing please.30932 Blundells(With high sided tender)suddenly lost inertia even though the motor was turning.Chassis stripped and body off and appears motor worm to intermediary gear meshing but not to the gear wheel on the axle.I just wonder if this gear is positioned right after the wheeling fiasco,Tomorrow will tell All the best Ron

Bigmet

Re: schools class rewheeling a rewheel

Postby Bigmet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 am

To make the Schools pull effectively without traction tyres needs quite a lot of work in carefully adding weight to the loco, and reducing the drag from the tender.

Hornby now have a much, much better technique in 4-4-0 construction eliminating the need for traction tyres, very effectively demonstrated on their D16/3. Sadly I don't think a 're-do' of the Schools or T9 which are traction tyre dependent is likely.

rejrob

Re: schools class rewheeling a rewheel

Postby rejrob » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks for the message it seems I will stick to rubber wheelsLOL The other problem has been *Fixed,took the beauty apart and re greased and oiled ,checked and tightened all screws and bingo we have a moving Blundells.all the best Ron

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”