Where have they gone?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Re: Where have they gone?

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Ken Shabby wrote:They might want to be a bit more selective when it comes to buying 2nd hand stock, I can't see them finding buyers for all those 70's era square axle Hornby P.O wagons which turn up at shows for no more than £2......Ken

Ken,
I have been a regular observer of their pre-owned listings for a couple of years and these older Hornby/Triang models regularly turn up for between GBP6.00 - GBP10.00 on the site. They must believe a market exists or the price would be lower.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 am

Quote from Hattons website -

Quote: "As you may be aware, the majority of our pre-owned stock is currently unavailable to purchase. Following our recent stock-take, we took the decision to keep these items hidden so that we could focus on dispatching customer orders and ensure that our new system was working efficiently."

Perhaps I may be a little suspicious, but as the system was working fine up until the stocktake, what exactly did the stocktake reveal? Were there light fingered shortcomings in that some listed items no longer existed?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Odd but if I select the "Pre-owned" subheading I get no result. However, if one types "pre-owned" in the advanced search bar then 291 items are returned from all scales.

Meister

Postby Meister » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Checked yesterday and it looks as though all the pre-owned stock has now returned to the site.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Meister wrote:Checked yesterday and it looks as though all the pre-owned stock has now returned to the site.

That is odd, still the same as stated previously for me. When I select the pre-owned subheading it returns that no items exist matching my criteria. I cannot change the dropdown boxes as all they state are "All scales" and "All manufacturers". When however, I type pre-owned in the advanced search bar I return 7909 items found so obviously the items are there but I am not trawling through 72 pages of pre-owned items to hopefully find something new added.

Edit: just in case it was a cookie problem I cleared browsing history, however, still as reported, the pre-owned subheading does not return any results for me.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 pm

Just tried it, they aren't being put into the category "pre owned" so nothing gets found. The search obviously only looks for categorised as pre owned. The words are however being put in the description and that search is looking through descriptions to try to match the words. I've already said some staff training needed earlier today. It really is.
You can persuade Google to search a specific website, something like:-
Hornby A4 site:hattons.co.uk. include everything after www. and between the final dot and the first /
Now I'm not too sure of the syntax but again on Google adding -pre -owned or -"pre owned" at one end or t'other should limit it to new ones, and if you were looking for a bit of history you would put in +Hornby +Dublo to exclude any modern or post Triang merger ones. You can miss out the bits about pre owned, even if someone found a box full in an old storeroom the zinc rot would have got them. I'll leave someone who gets annoyed by these problems to fathom out what the proper order is :shock:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:44 am

If it's any use to you Bufferstop, I go to 'OO' scale under 'Products' on the Home page and then to whatever I'm interested in eg Steam locos where, as under the other headings, pre-owned items are clearly marked. It may mean a bit of trawling, but with that site, it's always entertaining!

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:04 am

Still haven't received my Helmingham Hall, emailed yesterday and they very kindly refunded my postage costs, and informed me that they had posted it the day before, I doubt I shall see it til the middle of the week but might get lucky and have it monday, its been 20 days since I clicked order on it now.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 am

Firefly16 wrote:If it's any use to you Bufferstop, I go to 'OO' scale under 'Products' on the Home page and then to whatever I'm interested in eg Steam locos where, as under the other headings, pre-owned items are clearly marked. It may mean a bit of trawling, but with that site, it's always entertaining!

If you do not mind trawling through 2,500 steam locomotives. Personally, life is too short for that. In my opinion the store stuffed up. Surely a stocktake does not entail completely delisting all pre-owned items and then the possibility of laboriously relisting each item. It should have been a simple keystroke to hide them while stocktaking and then once confirmed that the items were actually available another keystroke to reactivate them. There is an untold story here.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 am

I'll revise my comment, their IT staff need some training/re-training in database principals. It's tedious and boring.
It's when you run into the effects without realising it. When the "teachers of typing" were being trained to teach mailmerge, they were provided with a database of all addresses in Warwickshire. They could be relied on to get a none found response by asking for all of the addresses where "Town" equalled Stratford and "Town" equalled Alcester.
Think on it for a while.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 am

It looks like the store sorted out some of its issues. I am not wasting my time to trawl through months of previous listings to see if all the items removed for stocktaking have been relisted as in reality there was a lot of chaff there with few gems. The currently listed stock is as usual for the past year or two grossly overpriced when one considers the offers available on new release items from Hornby, Bachmann and Heljan new/old stock.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 pm

All this fuss over an update to a system or a hiccup/malfunction makes me laugh. All systems need updating and suffer glitches now and again but when it happens all sorts of stupid speculation occur and the end of the world is nigh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Well the last few days have shown that there's more chance of the Met Office spotting it coming than they would have thirty years ago :lol: Poor old Michael.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Well the last few days have shown that there's more chance of the Met Office spotting it coming than they would have thirty years ago :lol: Poor old Michael.

He'll never live that down!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:13 am

All stores do stocktaking. As the store is most likely the largest "OO" scale seller in the world, one would think that a simple stocktake of pre-owned items would not cause a fuss as theoretically they should have systems in place to ensure a smooth transition. This stocktake has effectively impacted on pre-owned sales for over two weeks now. Even when they updated their pre-owned items after a two week absence it only lasted one day.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”