class S15 loco

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
rejrob

class S15 loco

Postby rejrob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 am

Am I on my own or have others found a similar problem,basically the 2 examples I have are built well run well as long as they do NOT have to pull anything.The track is clean mostly flat although there are 2 definite slopes which sometimes has a banker (Believe a Millholme Z class )and up which my trusty B/B or W/C fly up with six or seven coaches attached,even better with the new rebuild Bulleids.which are I believe a little heavier.At present I am building a PDK w class many of which passed by me at Hither Green many many years ago I did watch a youtube vid. shewing problems with the S15 but i think it was a bad motor. Nothing like that on mine just that they would not pull the skin off a rice pudden. probably end up as shed pilots but relying on the other loco to guide them LOL Any ideas?????????? Haven,t done anything for the last 2 years ,2 ops relating to (Old mans disease)which my doctor missed despite examination.but all going well now GREATWhen I get the hang of our new comp I,ll update you on my layout which seems to get more full each month after getting my pension ,ar well Cheers RON

Bigmet

Re: class S15 loco

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 am

Ron, You are not on your own, several reports of motor problems with S15's including feeble pulling, running hot, high current draw. These are a familiar symptom set for weak magnets. That's unusual these days with modern magnet materials in can motors, but a bad materials batch is always possible. I'd suggest return to the retailer as unsatisfactory runners.

Examples with good motors run and pull well, there's nothing fundamental wrong with the general design: with a good motor they are up to Hornby's present very satisfactory standard.

Sorry to read that you have had 'old man's trouble', glad to read it is sorted and hope you can get on with enjoying life again. One of my wife's relatives is a now retired GP, and despite being an ebulliently confident man he disliked doing the check for this. Apparently we are 'very variable' inside, and he at least found reliable detection very difficult; and got frequent complaints for referring so many patients for biopsy, who proved to be 'clear'.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 am

The design is good enough to be a decent workhorse, so I think yours need attention like Bigmet says. Mine pulls 30 waggons + Guards easily up my 1-100 inclines, smoothly and quietly. Are yours from the first batch from a couple of years ago, or from this year?

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I have currently got 1 example '30830 in late BR livery' it runs exceptionally smooth and quiet down to a barely discernable crawl. Runs much better than the N15 in my opinion.

However, I do think the model would benefit from more weight inside the body, to bring it up to its '6F' rating, it seems a little light on its feet.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

SRman

Postby SRman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 pm

My 30830 managed 31 wagons on my friend's figure-8 layout, slipping slightly on the top of the gradient at one end. The only failure was it kept derailing at that same bit because the curvature tightened slightly at that place as well, and I had fitted the front steps, which were derailing the leading bogie wheel. Without the steps it would have made it clear around the whole layout without stalling or slipping to a halt.

Mine has a slight gear whine, in spite of having been run-in properly, but I have fitted Youchoos sound and that drowns out the whine. It seems I have a good one with 30830.

I bought a second one from the next batch, with the alternative tender, and that, too, seems smooth and powerful, but has even more gear whine.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:47 am

I go tinkering with lubrication to damp out gear whines, sometimes adding the occasional washer to keep an intermediate gear correctly positioned. One of my Hornby B17s was 'prone to drone' at medium speed (when running fast the wheels on rails noise drowned out all other sounds) and a good splodge of thick white grease on the sides of the intermediate gear fixed that. I imagine the S15 will be similar in design and may well respond to the same style of treament.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:43 am

Thanks Bigmet. I haven't opened up the S15s at all, yet, only the tenders to fit DCC decoders (and sound in that first one).

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:30 am

Hi all,Thankyou for your comments,very helpful.Must say these 2 of mine were the first issue but cannot remember where they came from ,age don,t you know?????.They both run fine as a solo unit ,BUT put a load on ,even small and stop.I think maybe a weight issue but motors fine .Anyway will tinker later.They are both in the unoperational lane of my shed(Not to be moved),which they won,tLOL.I,ll finish my PDK w class first then report back.Thanks all again Ron

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 pm

I may have an idea what your problem could be, inside the loco body, there is a double flywheel motor, at the rear of the loco this is connected to a gear tower, on top of the gear tower is a plastic cover that is only held on by a clip on each side, it might be worth your while checking if the cover is clipped on correctly, because if it is not, it causes the motor to lose mesh with the gear wheels, this basically makes the loco run when solo, but when a load is applied, the loco won't move.

I know this because this has happened to mine, the cover was unclipped on one side.

Hope this helps
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”