Hornby P2 TTS

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby P2 TTS

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:09 am

Received this morning from a non-UK source on evilbay. I had high hopes given the item description. The loco arrived in as new cosmetic condition and when powered up the standing sounds seemed fine with the exception of whistle/chime function '5' which seemed to randomly sound when other sound functions were initiated if left in the 'active' position.

I decided to test the running as these are notorious for poor stuttering starts. With function '1' activated the loco moved less than half a revolution and stalled causing the sound to extinguish. A lengthy teardown ensued with the motor being removed and the drive tested for freewheeling. For some reason the drive would freewheel half a turn and then lockup. Further disassembly ensued followed by reassembly. Whatever the issue was it was not noticed on reassembly and test.

The loco moved off as smooth as silk on both 28 and 128 speed steps with not a hint of the low speed stuttering these TTS and enhanced models are noted for. I would have to say that this locomotive is near the top of performance of all my collection. Who would have thought that a TTS steamer with the P2 reputation could perform so well. Whatever the original issue was I do not know but a stripdown has cured it giving me a very nice model.

SRman

Re: Hornby P2 TTS

Postby SRman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 am

I have a non-TTS P2 and that also is a very fine runner on DCC (with a Lenz Standard+ decoder).

I also recently bought the TTS Merchant Navy; that also is a very smooth runner but the sounds really didn't match a Bulleid 3-cylinder locomotive, so I have shoehorned the decoder and speaker into a Hornby Standard 4MT 4-6-0 that had not been run for some considerable time and was a little hesitant at first, but a quick wheel clean followed by 'lifting the lid' and lubricating the gear chain and motor worm and bearings resulted in another fine, smooth running locomotive with sound.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 am

I had three Railroad P2 that ran perfectly. It seems that it was the enhanced and the sound fitted models that had the stuttering starts.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:49 pm

My shinyshite P2 runs very smoothly but it sounds awful. Hard to describe, its like some horrid insect is trapped in the body shell!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”