R664 point motor

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
BillE

R664 point motor

Postby BillE » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:44 am

I am adding some semaphore signals to my layout and have managed to source some R664 point motors to automate them problem I have is a simple one to solve I have no doubt but despite a lot of searching the net for the life of me I can't put my finger on exactly what I need or how I can connect my wires to the motors three terminals. I understand the wiring diagram no problem there and I have the crimp connections for my power supply and switches but what do I use for the push in ? connections on the R664 units themselves.

If anyone can point (pardon the pun) me in the right direction I would be very grateful driving me up the wall it is completely bamboozled.

Bill

Mountain

Re: R664 point motor

Postby Mountain » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:30 am

Have you seen the older Hornby power clips? The pieces of metal on the controller wires that push into the power clips which slot into the track? The same idea is with the controller.
The easiest way to make yourself some of those metal things is either use nails to solder wire connections onto, or make a similar metal plug from solder. Potentially (Though I've never done this due to not having had a Hornby point motor), you could take the point motor apart and solder wires directly. I've taken a power clip apart and dome this, but never tried taking a point motor apart so no idea if they come apart OK without breaking.
The best solution is buy some Hornby passing contact switches (R046 if my memory serves correctly) which should include the correct wiring and fixtures you need.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 am

These must be the motors that took a round plug-in termination, a proprietary piece from Triang. They were a PITA when new, forever breaking after a few plug insertions and removals and not readily repairable. Can you take the motor casing off, and find terminals that you can solder to?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:37 am

I was looking for a photo of the connector, but it's too mundane for anyone to have bothered with. I still have a couple of the motors (somewhere) from a long gone layout. I just pushed the stripped end of some rigid bell wire into the sockets. Bending and straightening it puts in just enough of a kink to keep a firm contact. I wouldn't take one apart if it can be avoided putting them back together is part of Bigmet's PITA.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

BillE

Postby BillE » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:53 am

Oh thanks for all that guys much appreciated I get the picture I will experiment and see how we go the innards are easily accessible gonna try the nail idea first before I think about soldering to the internal connectors.

Thanks agin very much.

Bill

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 am

The Hornby tapered pins that fit H&M aux, track connectors, Hornby switches, R664, etc, are all the same X8011, see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51938
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”