Hornby 2018 Range

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
alex3410

Re: Hornby 2018 Range

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 pm

talking about SECR, it surprised me that they have not released waggons to go alongside the very popular locos. Bachmann did collectors set only which go for silly money when they crop up on eBay of 3 waggons but there must be a market for more.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:29 pm

I had to laugh today when reading the email from Hornby...
THIS MONTH'S TOP WEBSITE REVIEWS
TTS Sound Flying Scotsman

"This is my first TTS sound train and I am very pleased with it. The sound is very realistic and it is quite cheap for how good it is. The train doesnt jerk, it runs very smoothly apart from that it sometimes derails at 2nd Radius Curves which it shouldnt do. Overall this is a very good buy and I am very pleased with this product."

So it sounds great!.....but doesn't quite run properly? And this is what Hornby think is a good review?
Put it down then back away slowly. :shock: Ahhh Hornby how you make me laugh! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm

alex3410 wrote:talking about SECR, it surprised me that they have not released wagons to go alongside the very popular locos. Bachmann did collectors set only which go for silly money when they crop up on eBay of 3 wagons but there must be a market for more.

Except that Bachmann have not produced SECR wagons at all, but have spuriously applied an SECR livery to existing wagon toolings. (That's about the best we are ever likely to see in pre-group wagons, except possibly the occasional pre-group brake van or specially constructed vehicle with a long life in grouping and later service.) Must be difficult to gauge demand for spuriously liveried wagons, so I would expect they will only trickle them out.

And it has to be realised that SECR wagons would be a total rarity, not 1% of the UK wagon stock. Hamilton Ellis wrote of the Southern lines that it was rare to see one of their own wagons in a freight train, just the loco and guard's brake van from the 'home' company. The wagons carried the freight from loading point 'wherever' through to unload point 'wherever'; so a huge variety of Private Owner and other companies wagons would be seen on all freight trains other than some (uncommon) specially arranged traffic. There are good monochrome pics available of freight yards before the grouping, and the ownership variety on view is very informative.

End2end wrote:I had to laugh today when reading the email from Hornby...
THIS MONTH'S TOP WEBSITE REVIEWS
TTS Sound Flying Scotsman

"This is my first TTS sound train and I am very pleased with it. The sound is very realistic and it is quite cheap for how good it is. The train doesnt jerk, it runs very smoothly apart from that it sometimes derails at 2nd Radius Curves which it shouldnt do. Overall this is a very good buy and I am very pleased with this product."

So it sounds great!.....but doesn't quite run properly? And this is what Hornby think is a good review?
Put it down then back away slowly. :shock: Ahhh Hornby how you make me laugh! :lol:

I see only positives in this. Hornby are setting customer expectations that the product derails on second radius, and the owner is content with that.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm

I thought all Hornby loco's were for the minimum 2nd radius? Now looking at the actual FS train set it comes with 3rd radius.
I stand corrected.
One thing I did ntoice (or didn't in this case) on the webiste for the loco. It doesn't state what radius it is for. Maybe they need to fix that so potential buyers are made aware of the fact it doesn't like 2nd radius.
Thanks Bigmet.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:00 pm

The intention - and it is advertised - is that RTR will work on second radius. It has to be so, because the standard set track point is (substitution) second radius, and that point is by some estimates to be found on at least 80% of UK layouts. Very often it is the only point type on a layout. But it is increasingly obvious that the finer scale models that are so much in demand these days, and especially those of large prototypes, are a bit marginal on such tight curvature. The RTR manufacturers are - to use a well known expression - caught between a rock and a hard place here.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 pm

In largescale, R1 (four foot diameter) was the rule with the main protagonist, LGB/Marklin, still strictly adhering to the rule. In essence expensive models are compromised to run on these ridiculously tight curves as the main consumer, Europe, still seems to enjoy the space saving achieved with tight curves.

Some years ago Bachmann began to increase their minimum operating diameter for their larger 1/20.3 locomotives as there was no way such large detailed models were going to be mechanically and cosmetically compromised to run through four foot curves. Aristocraft and USA Trains followed with some models requiring almost twenty foot diameter curves. With my outdoor railway I ran ten foot diameter and even then the overhang of the pilot on curves caused clearance issues trackside.

It is time these "OO" toy train manufacturers realised that some models simply do not translate to trainset curves and designed these ever increasingly expensive models without compromise, or at least R4 minimum. For those wanting to run trainset geometry perhaps a line of toy trains just for them. If they want the more detailed models then they have to face the reality that trainset curves are designed for toy trainsets and not detailed models.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Can't say what but it's quite well known, just have to see I know they have scanned it, doesn't mean it's southern, but then again southern sells, I was impressed with Hornby's hole filling some of which have been needed for a fair while, not the most inspiring range but good.

Anyway one of you is on the right lines....

Hornby have done a SECR wagon... not the best but it's one.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 am

GWR_fan wrote:...It is time these "OO" toy train manufacturers realised that some models simply do not translate to trainset curves and designed these ever increasingly expensive models without compromise, or at least R4 minimum. For those wanting to run trainset geometry perhaps a line of toy trains just for them. If they want the more detailed models then they have to face the reality that trainset curves are designed for toy trainsets and not detailed models.

Part of the problem is that the mainsteam RTR HO manufacturers (and it is HO expertise we are talking about, as OO uses HO mechanism development, design and manufacturing technique alone, does nothing specifically for itself) simply don't know what to aim at as the 'next size up' minimum radius.

How much larger a radius is necessary to eliminate compromises? (I believe somewhere in the range from 750mm/30 inches to 900mm/36 inches, roughly double the present minimum radius, gets you there.)

And if a model were made to a significantly increased minimum radius standard, how would it sell? (Belief on this aspect is 'poorly'.)

Would it be possible to produce such a model with alternative parts or position settings for the owner to fit or set as required? (Evidence suggests that customers tend to be disappointed on finding out that the better appearance provided by an item like alternative scale size bogie wheels just will not work on their set track layout. Hornby got this feedback when they supplied such a scale wheel bogie on their streamlined Coronation back in about 2001. The information said that this scale wheel bogie 'requires third radius or larger curves', and apparently customers were most aggrieved that when they ran it only on their third radius curves it still derailed on their set track points! What Hornby should have written was 'requires third radius or larger curves, and will not go through the standard set track points because these are second radius equivalent' .)

I wish it was otherwise, but am resigned to DIY to improve what the RTR manufacturers supply, using the larger radii of my layout to fix the compromises that most offend me.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:04 pm

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:32 am

Ex-Pat wrote:For more photos of the J36 see:

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... fair-2018/

:D :D Drool! :D :D

Of course this has had a knock on effect, as G&N has been up to now a predominantly passenger layout and the J36 is a freight loco, I have been looking at getting back into wagon kits, with a shortlist of appropriate Parkside kits already drawn up!

Roll on July!

Jim
Last edited by luckymucklebackit on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Ex-Pat wrote:For more photos of the J36 see:

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... fair-2018/

:D :D Drool! :D :D

Of course this has had a knock on effect, as G&N has been up to now a predominantly passenger layout and the J36 is a freight loco, I have been looking at getting back into wagon kits, with a shortlist of appropriate Parkside kits already drawn up!

Roll on July!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 pm

First signs of slippage from July, Jim?

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-e ... ZU,3T5CM,1

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 am

August is fine, the way progress is going with the locomotive depot that it is going to be allocated to it is probably just as well! :D

Intrigued by the announcements from TMC and Rails about new products being revealed at the Glasgow show on Friday. (As announced on the other place)
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129517-model-rail-scotland-2018/page-5

Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 am

Don't really want to hijack this Hornby thread, but ----- D30 from one and J37 from the other would be ideal.

Reality however tells me that "variety of liveries" spells diesel! (And some people's interpretation of "brand new tooling/model" sometimes unfortunately just means a revamp of an existing model!).

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 am

Small industrial steam loco is my guess.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”