Hornby 2018 Range

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
alex3410

Hornby 2018 Range

Postby alex3410 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Hey guys,

Hornby have emailed around some information on the 2018 range, see thier site for more informaiton

Unsuprisingly they are doing two new versions of the Peckett 0-4-0 which went down so well this year - i am really pleased as i want one to repaint but the second hand / ebay sales of the Peckett are crazy expensive!

whats got me about it however is that the two new designs are similar to 'DoDo' from the last batch and incredibly smiilar to each other.

Is it just down to there not being anymore colourful prototypes? the Huntley & Palmers from the last batch (blue one above) was my favourate out of the last set.

As i said i want one to repaint so its not the end of the world but something in a nice red would probably have tempted another purchase :lol:

edit:

Model railways direct are doing them for £84.50 with free P&P link to newsletter - i imaigne after how popular the last set was they know they will shift them!

Bigmet

Re: Hornby 2018 Range

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 am

I would imagine that there is ongoing research for further authentic alternatve liveries. My guess, these next two are livery schemes they already had 'in the bag' because they are 'Peckett standard'.

The Duchess pics look decent. I can see those sprinting off the shelves too. The major deviations from the truth on the previous model all look to have been dealt wth, and the compromises are the usual for a large model that has to go round second radius.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:57 pm

The Duchess does look really nice as well, I am just worried about putting to much on pre order :roll: but at the same time if you want them you have to or they end up selling out!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:58 pm

But it is going to be a fixture in their catalogue for a half dozen years at least. Wait for the initial rush to pass by, and buy one in a year or three?

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 pm

I won the 2017 Hornby catalogue on the bay this week. As it's halfway through the year I got it brand new for the princely sum of £1.99.
At thier usual prices Jadlam can afford it though. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:28 pm

I've seen our hobby manufacturers in a privileged position as they charge for their catalogues. I remember back in the early 1990's in the bicycle trade every new year (Which was in September for this trade) a new range of bicycles came out. The catalogues would go quick with mostgoing to collectors rather then customers. With most makes of bicycle, the catalogues were a similar size and thickness to the older Hornby catalogues (Before Hornby went to China). One year one or two manufacturers decided to charge for the cost of catalogue production. It was still much cheaper then Hornby were charging for their catalogue of products. Was somewhere like a third or half the price. That year no one bought a catalogue. They all sat in the shops and were eventually either given free or binned. When they abandoned the charging, the catalogues went like hotcakes again.
So I have always thought in our hobby that manufacturers are very well off not just to have their catalogues paid for directly by their customers, but they make a fair profit on them as well!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:54 pm

I am glad catalogues are charged for as purchases, rather then funded from revenue.

The way it is now, the people actually who want the catalogue pay for it. (Back in the day retailers would cunningly add a free catalogue with a certain value of product purchases. That remains a sensible plan in my view: targetted advertising to proven customers.)

It is a fair bet that some catalogue collectors don't buy the products in the catalogue.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:18 pm

After a good shufty through it and apart from the wheelsets I usually buy there's only one product I definatly want.
The PAR brakevan.
Sadly again I found the catalogue not to be upto Hornbys older standards of showing a lot of actual layout pictures, let alone so many OTHER manufacturers products in the few pictures displayed and some pages feel positively clincal. :shock:
It never used to be like that if memory serves. I used to fawn over the pictures in the catalogues and dream of an extensive layout as a child. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am

Growing up eh? It's a bummer! Are the old catalogues still as magical when you look at them now?

In one respect they could do with using another manufacturer's product: Peco's new bullhead track for their steam and early diesel period models shown in a layout setting. The models they now make way outclass their track system.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:21 am

'Twas ever thus. In the 50s Hornby (Dublo) and Triang (Rovex, now Hornby) both charged for their catalogues, but most retailers would give them away with a purchase after they had been on sale for about six months. (At least my two local shops did. The Dublo one used photo's (genuinely airbrushed) of prototypes. The Triang one used a lot of drawn and painted images. Some Triang models remained as hand drawn pictures subtitled "available later" right through Triangs existence.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Bigmet wrote:I am glad catalogues are charged for as purchases, rather then funded from revenue.

I don't know for certain but I've always thought that catalogues would come out of the advertising budget and offset against tax.
Therefore, charging for them is additional revenue that will find it's way into the shareholders pockets. Cynical, me?
Like Mountain with his cycle catalogues, I've long been into Continental outline where mostly, they are free and everyone uses them, I've seen where traders attempt to charge for them and end up with piles of the things left over.
My other club's exhibition: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=51861

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 am

Most other manufacturers allow you to download their present and often past catalogues direct from their site.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Ah but for those who collect rather than read there's no kudos in a folder full of pdf.s. You could of course print out the pdf.s but you just end up paying even more for a hard copy of the catalogue.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWRLover

Postby GWRLover » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:38 am

End2end wrote:I won the 2017 Hornby catalogue on the bay this week. As it's halfway through the year I got it brand new for the princely sum of £1.99.
At thier usual prices Jadlam can afford it though. :lol:
Thanks
End2end

If you bought it from Jadlam you'll be lucky to ever receive it. Have heard bad things about them and some of their ebay feedback history is sketchy to say it politely.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:17 am

99.7% on 66k items doesn't seem too bad...

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”