Railroad 9F tender chassis fatigue

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Peterm

Re: Railroad 9F tender chassis fatigue

Postby Peterm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Just had a reply from Hornby. Looks like we won't be getting any tender chassis blocks. :x
Pete.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:32 am

Seems like Hornby has the same opinion as Ford Australia. If you are having problems with our product then it must be YOUR fault. Certainly avoids warranty issues that arise.

Reminds me of a customer who was complaining of the poor brakes fitted as standard to Bugatti cars. Well known for their build quality and performance the braking did not match the abilities of the car. The customer complained that the braking was not up to the standard of the rest of the car. Ettore Bugatti's response was "So you are the person who is giving my car so much trouble". Obviously, the customer must be at fault.

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 pm

I had a email back from Hornby this morning confirming the number of the part needed (X9912), and to say no they've not got it in stock and no they won't send a cheque to pay for the part from a spares dealer.
So I think I'll go with Bigmet's idea of fitting bearings into the axle boxes.
This is Hornby's loss not mine, the 9F will be up and running again with a couple of hours work, but because of the growing list of Mazak failures, which could be just the tip of the icbberg, I've hardly bought any new Hornby locos over the past couple of years.
£120 on a loco which is only good for parts after a couple of years ? no thanks.

Ken

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 am

Mmm, Must look at my Evening Star, not had it out of the box for about 3 years.
Anyway I must do a test on both my 9F's for the FAQ section on 1st radius running.
I know the Railroad works through them , my Bachmann ? Well you never know !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:59 am

I dug mine out after reading the earlier posts to check it, and I seem to be having trouble too. The centre wheel had stiffened up again, after I thought I'd cured it by reaming out the axle hole. On closer examination I found that one wheel was no longer making contact with the rail (the flange was about level with the rail top). After I got the motor block removed I noticed an apparent fore and aft bowing of the block. I'll also be trying to install brass pinpoint bearings and have bought a second underframe unit, just in case there's a problem.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Dad-1 wrote:...I must do a test on both my 9F's for the FAQ section on 1st radius running.
I know the Railroad works through them , my Bachmann ? Well you never know !

FWIW from my own experience, safest to say that it won't. I tried half a dozen (four of mine, two belonging to a friend) to see if I could find a 'lose enough' mechanism to tackle first radius. They were all pretty tight on second radius making nice grunting noises as they went round, and the tightest would come off at the slightest provocation. Interested to read what you find. Stick with the Hornby if it has to tackle first radius in short.

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:06 am

Instead of fitting bearings, I found a very old Ringfield motor bogie block from one of the 1st Hornby Class 47s, which seems to be quite different from any of the Hornby Ringfield bogies I've seen before.
The motor was missing loads of parts so It seemed daft not to try using it.
Having checked the axle holes line up with the plastic 9F chassis , I stripped to just the metal frame and fitted the 9F tender wheels and found it ran very smoothly.
I'm now starting to make some fixing brackets to attach it into the tender underframe and to get it to sit straight and at the correct height.

Ken

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 am

At last I got around to checking out my Railroad 9F and it ran sweetly with no
visual problems. Keeping my fingers crossed !!

Bigmet, the Bachmann 9F wouldn't go around 1st radius. Just asking too much
for such a long chassis. As long as the Hornby stays intact I could still run a 9F on
St Oval, but why would I want to, it's far too big & heavy for the lines imaginary
loading limits !!

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:03 am

Ken Shabby wrote:Instead of fitting bearings, I found a very old Ringfield motor bogie block from one of the 1st Hornby Class 47s, which seems to be quite different from any of the Hornby Ringfield bogies I've seen before.
The motor was missing loads of parts so It seemed daft not to try using it.
Having checked the axle holes line up with the plastic 9F chassis , I stripped to just the metal frame and fitted the 9F tender wheels and found it ran very smoothly.
I'm now starting to make some fixing brackets to attach it into the tender underframe and to get it to sit straight and at the correct height.

Ken

That power bogie design was what was fitted in the very first 9Fs which were released the same time as the class 47. IIRC that design was called silver seal was made by Fleischmann for Hornby before they started making their own dreadful type 5 power bogie.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 am

Dad-1 wrote:Bigmet, the Bachmann 9F wouldn't go around 1st radius. Just asking too much for such a long chassis...

Thanks. Between my own testing and reading other online comment, I haven't seen anyone claiming success with this. Even if altered by an owner to give it enough flexibility, I'd not give much for the longevity of the side rods: something would catch while running on R1 and there would be a mess of bent metal.
Dad-1 wrote:As long as the Hornby stays intact I could still run a 9F on St Oval, but why would I want to, it's far too big & heavy for the lines imaginary loading limits !

They could operate on surprisingly light branches, thanks to a small axleload. BR used one to operate the final day services on the Alnmouth-Alnwick branch with two coaches. Excuses for everything territory...

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 pm

No photo I'm afraid, but it's repaired and back in service. The motor block has 2 screw holes where the Class 47 bogie frame was attached and it was an easy job to make 2 brackets and screw the them in the holes and hot glue them to the tender under frame.
This was only supposed to be a temporary fix in case adjustments were needed, but when tested It was fine and secure.
I ran it through all my points at speed tender first without problems and the loco hauled a 9 coach test train made up of some not too free running coaches with plenty of power to spare.
A good afternoons work.
Ken

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 am

Just one more thing...
For anyone that's searching for a replacement tender chassis, there is a complete unit minus the tender body on ebay right now for the not cheap price of £29.75. Steer well clear, I zoomed in on the photo and spotted hairline cracks in the casting.
Ken

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:41 pm

There's some nice people about. I've got a useless chassis here so I'll unload it onto some unsuspecting type.
Pete.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”