Track comparison chart

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Gerard16

Track comparison chart

Postby Gerard16 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 pm

Good Evening All
My first post on this site! After about 40 years I have finally fulfilled my ambition to start on building my model railway.
I have been presented with a large quantity of assorted track brands and I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a comparison chart for the various types. e.g. what would be the Lima or Peco equivalent of, say Hornby R601.
I nearly went mental this afternoon searching on Google but I couldn't hit on the correct description.
Can anybody help?
Sincerely,
Gerry

Ex-Pat

Re: Track comparison chart

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Welcome to the Forum Gerry.

I only use flexitrack (which I would advise you to seriously consider), but I imagine you will be able to find the dimensions of Hornby track pieces within their own website, and Peco track pieces within their own website. If they aren't in their websites then suggest you email them.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi Gerry,

Does this help?

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/tr ... ersion.htm

My advice is stick to Peco especially the points which are vastly better than Hornby's (too much plastic where there should be metal).

Don't forget to look at Peco Streamline which is a wider range of points and flexitrack. If you're just starting out you should look at Electrofrog points which give far more reliable running but are more difficult to use (Additional wiring and isolating sections may be required).

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi Gerry and welcome. - As well as looking at the equivalents of the various bits of track, there's a test you need to do with any collection of used rails. Get yourself a magnet, (nick one off the fridge) and test each piece of track with it. If it sticks then the rails are plated steel, hopeless to keep clean, goes rusty at the ends and has poor conductivity, junk it. The stuff the magnet doesn't stick to is nickel silver, it doesn't rust and it stays clean longer. Clean it up with a pad dipped in isopropyl alcohol, or meths, if there's any stubborn muck scrape at it with a wooden coffee stirrer with its round end cut off. You can probably see a difference the plated steel is a greyish colour the nickel silver is slightly yellowish.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”