Hornby Mk3 (WR) TGS

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby Mk3 (WR) TGS

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am

Western Region Hornby Mk3 TGS coaches seem a little thin on the ground at present in BR blue livery from the usual suppliers. I did manage to find an as new model from a well known site. My question relates to an approximate year when the TGS coach was introduced in the Western Region in BR blue corporate livery on HST sets, please. Would an unmodified class 43 with guard compartment be coupled to a TGS coach, please?

Was the TGS unique to the Westcoast Mainline?

GWR_fan

Re: Hornby Mk3 (WR) TGS

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Quote from wikipedia -

"Complaints from guards about engine noise in the guards' compartments in the power cars led to the Trailer Guard Second (TGS) in 1980, based on the TS but with the end vestibule and one seating bay replaced by a guard's compartment. This replaced the last TS in all sets from 1980 onwards."

Thus to answer my first question, TGS cars used from 1980 onwards until the BR blue livery replaced by the Executive livery post-1985, Swallow livery post-1987. Non-TGS sets used from the mid-1970's until 1980. No mention on Wiki of the TGS used on the Eastern Region.

thebritfarmer

Re: Hornby Mk3 (WR) TGS

Postby thebritfarmer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 pm

I believe they were used on the Eastern region as well.
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”