No comment on 2017 releases

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Mountain

Re: No comment on 2017 releases

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Railroad started off as a good idea. They collected older moulds from old Triang/Hornby, early Hornby, Lima,Airfix, Mainline, Dapol and Replica and used them to continue in production under the name of Railroad at a reasonable price compared to the newer more finely detailed models.
However, in more recent years in the new models which have fine intricate detail (Not to say some of the older Airfix and Mainline moulds didn't have intricate detail!) and started making a second version of the models with moulded on handrails rather then seperately fitted handrails etc, to save labour cost, and these are included in the Railroad range. The problem is there seems to be a big gap where the older Railroad idea was so we could enjoy, and especially the younger generation could enjoy older models from the old moulds at an attractive price.
The new versions of Railroad models are only a small percentage cheaper then the version with the finer detail, so they hardly fit the concept of Railroad being budget for those short on cash, though they do go a small way towards addressing the aspect of the younger generation needing models that have less bits that fall off in their hands.
To be honest, these newer Railroad models should be in a different classification then the name Railroad as they are in a totally different league compared to the old Railroad concept, especially where pricing is concerned. Another aspect of this, is the difference between the new railroad and the bells and whistles non railroad version is not much at all, so one may as well get the Railroad version and save a tenner on the price!

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm

End2end wrote:In an exclusive partnership with Hornby Magazine you will be able to buy the February issue of Hornby Magazine with the 2017 Hornby Catalogue for a combined offer price of £9.99 (normally £12.30)

Just coming back to this I was thinking it would be available in shops. Unfortunatly it is not.
After some digging I came up with this from the depths of Hornby's website.

"You can also buy this issue with the new Hornby 2017 Catalogue, direct from Key Publishing for just £9.90 – saving £2.49! Call 01780 480404 for details."
I'll probably just buy the 2017 catalogue for around £7 and forget the magazine due to the faff of getting hold of them as one. :roll:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:19 pm

That's a shame as it would have been nice idea to have both as option in WHS

Will look out for it at local model shows

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 05, 2017 10:03 pm

I see Hornby are dangling their upcoming class H 0-4-4T in its SECR livery. It's pretty. Will there be a feeding frenzy akin to the Bachmann C class in SECR livery I do wonder? Pics on Hornby's edition of 'Engine shed' today. https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-e ... l-updates/

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat May 06, 2017 2:04 am

Perhaps Hornby now see their market as not just mass releases of Railroad quality trainsets riding on the back of the "Flying Scotsman", but perhaps, just possibly, they see a market in making high quality (?) locomotives and rolling stock. One day Hornby may just come of age and mature as a manufacturer.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 06, 2017 10:57 am

Interesting you should make that comment now, as there is a move afoot from a shareholder group to displace the current Hornby chairman and his board's strategy of 'focus on the adult modeller interest' to turn the company around; in order to bring in a 'child's toy market' strategy. Present state of play, the current management are set to maintain control, so the business is going to continue on the model led course (for so long as that strategy works).

While I don't buy all their range, only those pieces that fit my modelling interest, my perception is that Hornby really are outright going for models as their main range product, and steadily eliminating the toy legacy compromises from their designs. A sensible choice of smaller and secondary 'black' locomotives and non-corridor coaches, and a few very well executed wagons, have recently entered their range alongside the once dominant staples of express machines and their coaching stock. This is decidedly different, positively Bachmannesque; it was how that business made its mark among adult modellers, by producing bread and butter items rather than the rare and glamorous.

Finally the weird aspect around trainsets: they are thought to be mostly adult collector purchases nowadays, not going to kids at all. The retailer I know best has a customer who buys every single one Hornby issue, and as he puts it, no one has that many grandchildren.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 pm

The big question is does Hornby sway to those who love trains in general and want to watch their trains zoom round and round on a board, or do they sway towards fine scale modellers who are one step down from converting to P4 in getting every detail as precise as possible, or even to collectors (A strange bunch in my view! :mrgreen: ) who buy but the condition of the box is just as important to what is inside the box.
Hornby has gained their reputation by concentrating on the first group hence the large dealer and spares network, but in recent years has aimed towards the second and third group where they can get more profit per sale but sell less as a consequence.
The main downside to these two last groups mentioned (Though strangely the third group (Collectors) can itself encompass the other two groups!) is that Hornby are losing their unique selling point and have moved into direct competition in a difficult market.
(While we all love to defend where we are, as a company this decision is one that needs clarifying to prevent the company drifting from one avenue to the next and from one slump to the next. On another subject I have watched many bicycle manufacturers come and go and the few survivors that have never changed hands due to bankrupsy are the ones with focused goals on specific types of customer and have not been swayed by trying to follow the market trends).

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri May 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Mountain wrote:On another subject I have watched many bicycle manufacturers come and go and the few survivors that have never changed hands due to bankrupsy are the ones with focused goals on specific types of customer and have not been swayed by trying to follow the market trends).

Prime example... MUDDY FOX. It used to be a very good brand. I almost bought one and did ride my uncles one, but bankrupcy and being bought out and re-introduced into the market as a company under the same name, now thier bikes are rubbish catalogue "meard" :?
As for Hornby, most of my collection is mainly Bachmann and some Dapol limited edition rolling stock except for wheelsets. That is the only item from Hornby I buy on a regular basis.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 pm

What I can never understand about Hornby is they seem to be totally oblivious to what sells like hot cakes out of their range, and stuff that doesn't. For example, anything modern GWR, whether its fag packet, or the more modern liveries seem to fetch ludicrous money second hand, yet Hornby have continuously failed to latch onto the market. The new Peckett 0-4-0 shunter, and absolute gem of a loco, sold out in days when it was released, again silly money second hand, so this year you'd think they would release it in as many pretty liveries as they could and make a mint? No, just one single black livery is all they are doing, and not till the end of the year either! These missed opportunities or production inflexibility will be the end of Hornby if they are not careful.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri May 12, 2017 11:00 pm

I am sure that Hornby market analysts are aware of the impact that certain models have had on the market. However, if you "cash in" on those popular products you risk diluting the market and resultant price drops and decreasing interest. Then any further releases become a gamble as initial demand is diminished and interest wanes along with the unintended firesale of inventory. By staggering releases then the market is left open for impulse purchases while awaiting one's intended item to be released.

If a collector has many desirable items to sell then if he saturates the market he loses that price edge as demand is satisfied on the multiple releases. If he dribble feeds the market then demand and higher prices are maintained. The collector market needs to see higher prices maintained to "justify" their investments. Hornby can churn out thousands of trainsets, however, they need to be conservative with the higher end of the market to maintain demand and prices.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 am

Bigmet wrote:... there is a move afoot from a shareholder group to displace the current Hornby chairman and his board's strategy of 'focus on the adult modeller interest' to turn the company around; in order to bring in a 'child's toy market' strategy...

Business as usual, Hornby saw off this challenge. So it's adult modeller focus.

This is hardly unexpected. All the competitors (and look how many there are now, between manufacturers and commissioning retailers) are aiming at the scale model market, and mostly locos at that. You will look in vain for a trainset from any competitor other than Bachmann, and they have run that aspect of their business down. Whatever any of us may think, this will be a result of these businesses 'following the money': forget 'model of the year' type nonsense, what counts is what we 'vote for' with our spending. And what the customer group for this class of product is mainly voting for is scale models...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm

If they go down that line it makes one consider if Hornby would be willing to sell off some of their moulds for models they are no longer producing or less interested in like the little 0-4-0's. I'm sure there is a good market for them as they appeal to the young and old alike along with the 7mm narrow gauge modellers etc.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am

Hornby is a thoroughly commercial outfit, so I would suggest that they will 'follow the money'. If there is sustained demand for the older designs like the small 0-4-0s, at whatever they have to be priced at to justify the allocation of manufacturing slots, then they will surely be manufactured and go on sale.

You can say this for Hornby, they have never yet failed to exploit their old tooling if it is still in a usable condition, when there is believed to be demand from the customer base. As an example look at the way they have put the ancient singles and the matching coaches into production quite recently. I would be pretty confident that so long as the customers prove that the demand is there by spending their money on it, the product will get made. Show me a business that doesn't like a 'cash cow' (product made from fully paid for tooling that only requires the manufacturing run costs to produce profitably saleable product) which is the story behind Hornby's set track: go on clonking it out for pennies, so long as the customers keep buying.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Things are a lot better than they used to be, remember years ago, when Hornby insisted on using the dreadful tender drive idea , so that they could use the same mechanism in several models, Steam and diesel.
Plus the models they did turn out in this era were often inaccurate in some way, be it driving wheel spacing, wheel diameter, oversize tender body to house the tender drive mechanism.
My layout, only look if you are interested.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:05 pm

Regardless of what models are released for 2017 they are out of my price range, its not that long ago that people were moaning about paying 100 quid for a loco, now most are selling 50% higher than that but I guess you get what you pay for, I am happy with the Railroad models but I noticed the price of sets has gone through the roof so no doubt parents will be looking for another hobby for their kids.
Regards
Nobby

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”