No comment on 2017 releases

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
manna

Re: No comment on 2017 releases

Postby manna » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 am

G'Day Gents

If Hornby were that smart, they would bring out a later version of the P2.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:22 am

Hornby have made provision for the infinitely more desireable streamlined form - with six names and numbers! - in the chassis block casting, so I would guess it is just a matter of time. Good move to make the 'first thoughts' product initially, because once the sexy sextet are seen, no one will ever again look at the first two...

As for pricing, and train sets for children. There must be customers sufficient to sustain the current pricing, because competitors have been entering the OO market over the past few years. It has to be assumed that these businesses expect to make a profit, so they must see demand. All of their activity though is adult modeller and collector focussed. Does it need to be said that the classic train set aimed at children is all but dead? Hornby still have some, a legacy of their beginnings; Bachmann have all but stopped, and you will look in vain for anything of the sort from Heljan, Dapol, RealTrack, Oxford Rail, DJM, Rapido, SLW, Hattons...

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Bigmet wrote:Hornby have made provision for the infinitely more desireable streamlined form - with six names and numbers! - in the chassis block casting, so I would guess it is just a matter of time. Good move to make the 'first thoughts' product initially, because once the sexy sextet are seen, no one will ever again look at the first two...

I hope they take the opportunity to replace that nasty cheap whiny motor for one of their silky smooth 5 pole units as used in most the super detail range.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:44 pm

D605Eagle wrote:LMS 8P again? how many more times are they going to redo those locos? ,,,Surely they are going to struggle to sell enough to turn a profit

Now we find out, as they are arriving! Looking rather good too.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 am

Production runs are miniscule due to Hornby's worsening financial position so a bird tells me. Buy one whilst you can might not be such a daft move after all.....

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am

The declared intent is no more low price dumping, so the happy days of wait and pick up a bargain from Hornby are (probably) over. I expect that will mean production run volumes are tied closely to retailer orders, with very little excess. This is a discipline common to any number of consumer products industries and works efficiently, provided the retailers actually order. If they haven't heard the message and as a result not placed sufficient orders, expecting to pick up extra stock after the first delivery; the whining will start in the run up to Christmas...

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 pm

That's not what I'm hearing. Hornby are doing themselves no favours with retailers. Not listening to them and not communicating with them. As they no longer have any storage facilities and they don't have the financial clout they once had they try to not store a thing. Because they don't listen they keep getting it wrong and keep having to dump stock cheaply onto the big retailers.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:52 pm

We'll have to hope that the changes at the top have a better understanding of their market. It's early days yet, But bringing Simon.K back in as a consultant does show a modicum of sense.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:22 pm

Simply having Simon back in a consultancy position is not enough. The boys at the top need to actually listen to him. It seems that when he was last at Hornby that his pearls of wisdom were falling on deaf ears. They need to hear that Hornby is not just a toy train manufacturer but a model railway manufacturer.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 am

It will be some months yet before Lyndon Davies hand on the tiller really begins to show where he might take Hornby. The guy has run a profitable privately owned model making business (Oxford) so they now have someone at the top who might have an inkling of how it is done. It's his statement of intention that the dumping of excess stock at discount will end that caught my eye, so that's one of the first things to look for as evidence of 'new broom' now in the driving seat.

I expect exploitation of the P2 investment to come through in a year or two. There's six streamliners with really characterful names. I'd hope Hornby get adventurous and run a couple in BR livery as 'what ifs'. Authenticity be damned, there's room for romance in any worthwhile hobby.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:55 am

Bigmet wrote:........................ I'd hope Hornby get adventurous and run a couple in BR livery as 'what ifs'. Authenticity be damned, there's room for romance in any worthwhile hobby.

No doubt "Prince of Wales" will receive a temporary BR livery giving Hornby an incentive to produce a model. I cannot see the loco remaining its entire corporate life in LNER green.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 am

It might even get rebuilt into the final streamlined form for the superior exhaust clearance too. The LNER was perpetually short of cash and would not have undertaken this modification on the first two, unless there was significant operational advantage. I do find it strange that after the A1 - built as a developed 'next in class' of the originals - for the P2 they are not building on from the final developed form in service. Seems very retrograde, the original owners had all the experience from operation to guide them and knew what they were doing...

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”