Hornby 75T? crane

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby 75T? crane

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:53 am

I have found that this crane has a tendency for the jib to snag up on the crane hook whilst travelling through curves. I decided to follow the prototype and provide a well in the jib runner for the hook to sit in whilst travelling. A very simple mod taking about thirty minutes maximum. The jib runner underframe was separated from the upper body (four clips) and the horizontal section cut on three sides, leaving the forward edge (furthermost from the crane) still attached. The flap is then bent downwards and retained at the rear edge with a spacer piece and glued. This forms the sloped floor of the well. I did not bother with fitting vertical sides. The upper body section is then modified by cutting an opening aligning with the well in the underframe. The well is then painted flat black and the upper and lower pieces clipped back together.

Another mod carried out was a simple roof section on the crane made from an old Tri-ang Mk1 coach roof moulding. I also drilled out the front and rear axles on the crane base and fitted Romford shouldered bearings. I then fitted 12.6 mm diameter metal wheels to the fore and aft axle locations. Ideally I would have liked to fit 14.1 mm wheels but the original plastic wheels were only 12.6 mm and I felt that restraining all four axles in shouldered bearings would have caused derailment issues on curves.
Attachments
crza.JPG
Hornby crane
crza.JPG (69.42 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
crzb.JPG
Hornby crane
crzb.JPG (83.14 KiB) Viewed 1567 times

SRman

Re: Hornby 75T? crane

Postby SRman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:53 am

That looks good.

I did something similar with one bought very cheaply at a swap meet. I used plasticard, curved with hot water for the roof extension, and did a couple of minor repairs (the reason it was cheap in the first place!). I painted mine black, and put better wheels on the match wagons, but am stumped as to what to do with wheels for the rigid 4-axle crane itself - want to get rid of the split sliding axle arrangement as they can change gauge at will. Your solution partially answers that, though. Maybe a sliding hollow axle on a fixed metal one might do the trick for the central two.

I never thought of the jib well; that's quite ingenious and I will have to copy that idea. :)

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:27 am

I feel that fitting four fixed metal wheelsets would cause running issues and am content leaving the centre pair of wheels as plastic. I agree in that retaining the stock axle and fitting metal wheels attached to tubing would work. This would keep the wheels in gauge and also allow some lateral movement on the centre pairs of wheels.

I am awaiting a cheap yellow set from a well known Liverpool dealer that I intend making more representative of a 76 ton crane but with some liberties taken. I still want to make it appear as if Hornby made it that way rather than try to make a model of the real thing. I have cobbled up quite a few parts from the spares box to build it but alas postage from the UK at present is taking on average around four to five weeks, so I have to bide my time awaiting its arrival.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:25 am

My departmental yellow "76" tonner crane arrived in the mail. This was a cheap pre-owned model and surprisingly not the item that was pictured on the listing. Anyhow, down to business. The jib was extended approximately 25 mm using a donor spare part. Pulley blocks were made up using idler wheels from some 1/76 scale tank kits. A cab was made utilising the interior moulding from a Lima brake coach. A roof and endwall were made from a spare Hornby/Triang Mk1 coach roof moulding. The rest of the parts were cobbled up from the parts bin. Ideally the link arms should be a little finer however I decided not to go looking for my son's Dremel and accepted them as they are.

Ideally the cab should only have a window and a door each side but as the corridor compartment mouldings were used from the Lima coach I decided to freelance a little. The centre part was cut from the crane body and the cab inserted, masked off and then painted. The crane was rigged and the roof added. Definitely not a "scale" model, however, I feel it gives the look of the original.

I decided to order a couple of departmental yellow Mk1 cars from Hattons to add to the crane. Many liberties were taken for simplicity. An easy conversion and I feel worth the effort. I need to order a second hook for the extended section of the jib. The 76 tonner had two hooks.
Attachments
che.JPG
che.JPG (92.41 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
chd.JPG
chd.JPG (84.54 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
chc.JPG
chc.JPG (95.35 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
chb.JPG
Crane
chb.JPG (102.45 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
cha.JPG
Crane
cha.JPG (111.04 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:31 am

Cab close up.
Attachments
chf.JPG
chf.JPG (104.45 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:47 am

That looks really good. Very impressive.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:32 pm

GWR_fan wrote:I then fitted 12.6 mm diameter metal wheels to the fore and aft axle locations. Ideally I would have liked to fit 14.1 mm wheels but the original plastic wheels were only 12.6 mm and I felt that restraining all four axles in shouldered bearings would have caused derailment issues on curves.

The real ones had 3'1" wheels so your 12.6mm wheelsets are correct. Nice modifications, the roof especially makes a lot of difference.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Many thanks gents. This is a 1950's era "45 tonner". Extended jib plus a well in the jib runner wagon for the hook.
Attachments
45ta.JPG
45ta.JPG (117.78 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
45tb.JPG
45tb.JPG (117.68 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
45tc.JPG
45tc.JPG (122.19 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Maybe not much practical use other than seeing if possible to accomplish, but I feel the reprofiled jib with the sharper angle at the head of the jib is more suited to lower capacity cranes. I had a couple of leftover spare jibs so decided to modify one by cutting a 'vee' shape on the underside at the peak of the jib and bending and clamping it until the glue had cured. The white strip is a sliver of 0.010" styrene inserted in the join to take up any imperfections in the cutting. I may fit to another spare jib to make up a longer jib for another project.
Attachments
crane_mod.JPG
Jib mod
crane_mod.JPG (50.22 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:06 pm

While I did give some consideration as to the increased lateral swing with an extended jib, even on R4 curves I found the force required to 'encourage' the crane to pivot on its axis was too great causing the jib runner to derail. A simple and effective fix was to attach a lump of lead, representing a toolbox, under the jib runner. When the jib swings and contacts the extremity of the jib support, instead of the jib runner derailing, the force on the jib now causes the crane itself to rotate about its axis, allowing the jib runner to negotiate curves without derailment.

Due the added weight on the jib runner, I drilled out the axleboxes and fitted shouldered brass bearings. On further investigation the actual lateral swing at the point of the jib rest is no greater than with a standard length jib. The derailment is caused due the increase in length of the jib reduces the available lateral movement at the jib rest due the jib arm is now thicker at this point due the increase in length. Thus the available lateral swing is reduced considerably. I will revisit the black crane and fit a standard length jib to avoid potential issues.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:38 am

Loosely based on a small capacity crane (not DS1580), I chopped about 1.5 cm from the crane body and opened out the cab area with an operator and representation of a boiler with attendant. As I did not need the load spreading trucks I cut the buffer beam from each and added to the crane. I fitted NEM couplers using the Parkside Dundas mount adaptors. I am awaiting a jib to cut the end off and add to the modified jib shown.

I need to source some Bachmann stepped NEM couplers to complete once final modifications are done. It is not intended to be prototypical, just practical.
Attachments
asce.JPG
asce.JPG (66.2 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
asca.JPG
asca.JPG (66.48 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
ascb.JPG
ascb.JPG (68.09 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
ascc.JPG
ascc.JPG (63.35 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
ascd.JPG
ascd.JPG (60.54 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:15 am

You're putting mine to shame, here!! I'll have to do some more detailing and get some transfers onto it as well, using yours as the inspiration. That really does look very good indeed.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:48 am

Many thanks. I get an idea in my head and then start cutting.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:25 am

Getting there.
Attachments
crzxa.JPG
crzxa.JPG (114.5 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
crzxb.JPG
crzxb.JPG (110.46 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
crzxc.JPG
crzxc.JPG (114.23 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
crzxd.JPG
crzxd.JPG (109.15 KiB) Viewed 1302 times

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:46 pm

Just had a read through of this thread. Most enjoyable. Got me thinking about replacing the wheels on the crane, something which I didn't think could be done but obviously you can. Just a thought about the inner wheels, could they not be replaced with the floating wheel set as found on A4s etc? or perhaps remove the flange from the plastic or metal wheel replacements? Could they all be replaced ?
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”