Hornby China 0-4-0

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GeraldH

Re: Hornby China 0-4-0

Postby GeraldH » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 pm

I've just picked up one of the new Hogarth-Stone 0-4-0's to put the chassis in a Triang Top Tank, which is a pretty easy conversion as the body is exactly the right length. I'm completely astonished by the quality of the slow running. Well worth a go :) .
Gerald H - alternative modeller :)

My layout: viewtopic.php?t=28854

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Why we love them! Mind you, the older ones were not too bad if their wheels and wheel backs were kept clean.
As long as the current gets to the motor, they run well. What you get for the price they are, you really can't go wrong!
Ideal for us 0-16.5 use.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:44 pm

I had a problem squeezing the retaining spring into one of my bodies, so I cut the loops of the end. Don't do it, you'll end up with holes in your fingers, so I tried another approach. I had some springy steel wire, as used for WIT point control, and made up a spring from that. I was able to get the ends tucked in close to the sides of the chassis, and surprise, surprise, it ran better. There seemed to be less pressure pushing down on the motor reducing the friction between worm and gear. Part of the solution may be to find out the best spring tension for smooth running.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi Modellers The Hornby Peckett had to be pre ordered ,I believe.? and came along and was sold out before i had a chance. That is when i ended up buying Pugs. I hope I am awake if they do em again. Happy modelling Kev

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 pm

If you think you might like a future release it pays to pre-order. If you change your mind, no one will complain if you cancel, or if you cash flow can stand it take delivery wait a week or two and sell it at a profit. It looks like becoming the only way to stand a chance.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Bufferstop wrote: Part of the solution may be to find out the best spring tension for smooth running.

Long ago obtaining recognition with a CBE* in this area, I tend to use balsa and superglue for my motor mounts.
N.B. I am not replacing motors like-for-like, and my locos will not be wearing out their motors with hundreds of laps of tailchasing.

But unless the balsa shims are installed contrarily, it is ease itself to split the balsa along the grain to make a tiny adjustment in meshing (or to swap a motor!)
Chris

*Crude But Effective
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:49 pm

If you can find a worm with a 1.5mm bore or force fit a short length of 2mm OD brass tube then open it out to 1.5mm ID it's possible to use the type 7 motor which is a push fit between the frames. You'll need to move the pickups outboard but that's the easy bit. I did find a gear that fits the 0-4-0 axle and matches the Thomas worm but what its PN is seems a complete mystery.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”