Hornby Mk4 EastCoast livery

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby Mk4 EastCoast livery

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:22 am

With Hattons sale on these Mk4 coaches what would be a suitable locomotive to haul them in the Virgin Trains initial period of ownership (coaches still in Eastcoast livery)? Yes, the class 91 is available in the Eastcoast livery but at premium pricing I would rather spend that money on something more reliable. I have the Virgin Trains class 57, "Lady Penelope", would that be suitable? What other locomotive might be used, please?

I looked at the Road and Rails 'Virgin' interim livery decals for the DVT, but the cost of the decals would be $50.00 delivered downunder for just one set of two decals and while they might look the part, paying GBP14.00 postage for one set and GBP25.00 postage for two sets is simply ridiculous for two/four decals that would weigh but a few grams.

I contacted the Road and Rails site and the seller was not aware how much the eBay global shipping site was extorting from customers. He manually revised the listing so that he had control over what was being charged. Two decal packs will soon be winging their way south.
Last edited by GWR_fan on Sun May 01, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Re: Hornby Mk4 EastCoast livery

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:14 am

Class 91 or nothing! The East Coast isn't like the other operation that runs London to Scotland. It's reliable and efficiently run, and everything goes perfectly to plan.That is an exaggeration obviously enough; but seriously. alternative traction is just not in evidence. I have lived within hearing of the ECML most of my life, and see it every day, so am moderately familiar wih the Southern end of this operation.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:36 am

Bigmet wrote:Class 91 or nothing! ..........

Bigmet,
I have a few dual-motored class 91's in Swallow livery that can pull the skin off a rice custard. I suppose I could purchase a grey version and dual motor it (assuming a suitable motor block would be available). It irks me paying around 80 odd quid for a piece of Hornby's past, with basically no upgrades in twenty five or so years apart from a feeble drive block. These days 80 quid can buy a lot more than a piece of outdated tooling.

It still has an old ringfield drive
Last edited by GWR_fan on Sun May 01, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:21 am

I still find it amazing that Bachmann went for the Blue Pullman, with its very limited timeframe and livery choices; when much the same tooling investment could have bought them the HST or IC225 sets to current standard. What's not to like in extended service life with molto varaiation and in a range of liveries, and it ain't over yet?

But, that's the way that cookie crumbled.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Bigmet wrote:Class 91 or nothing! The East Coast isn't like the other operation that runs London to Scotland. It's reliable and efficiently run, and everything goes perfectly to plan.That is an exaggeration obviously enough; but seriously. alternative traction is just not in evidence. I have lived within hearing of the ECML most of my life, and see it every day, so am moderately familiar wih the Southern end of this operation.

Or a 67 pulling an expired 91..... :lol:
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:35 pm

hairyhandedfool wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Class 91 or nothing! The East Coast isn't like the other operation that runs London to Scotland. It's reliable and efficiently run, and everything goes perfectly to plan.That is an exaggeration obviously enough; but seriously. alternative traction is just not in evidence. I have lived within hearing of the ECML most of my life, and see it every day, so am moderately familiar wih the Southern end of this operation.

Or a 67 pulling an expired 91..... :lol:

I have a photo somewhere of an 08 hauling an expired 91 at Doncaster. There is surely one other option, 89001 Avocet!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:18 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:............................. There is surely one other option, 89001 Avocet!

Jim

Like this maybe?

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/pho ... 001_ec.jpg

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun May 01, 2016 2:24 am

hairyhandedfool wrote:....................................Or a 67 pulling an expired 91..... :lol:

The only image that I could locate was an EWS class 67 hauling an apparently expired "Battle of Britain" memorial class 91 still attached to its train. It would really irk me to have to purchase a basic Hornby class 91 to haul an Eastcoast train as for the same money spent a better loco is possible, although not prototypical. I have several EWS class 67 plus the Virgin class 57 which would do a better job of hauling a rake of coaches. I might have to invoke rule 1.

I found an image of an EWS class 67 hauling a class 91 in Eastcoast Trains livery and coaches, but oddly when I link to it the image cannot be found.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 01, 2016 9:12 am

Be like me! I am awaiting models of the class of the Rapido APT-E to represent the HST and IC225 sets, as part of my 'expresses throuh the ages on the ECML'. I am too busy 'filling in gaps 'for the BR steam period that I operate by making items that will never get a RTR model, to even contemplate building post-steam traction, so its RTR or nothing there. The early steam train using a 'little Sharpie' is easy enough as a 'some day' project, and the Rapido Stirling Single can have some later GNR design coaches which I constructed in the long ago when they were secondary stock on an LNER operation.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun May 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Now this is interesting, a 67 class hauling the VTEC train. The 67 class is hauling the blunt end of the 91 class. Perhaps it is not possible to haul the set from the DVT end, so the 91 has to be marshalled in front. The other scenario may be firstly the DVT failed, followed by the 91 class failing. Would this be possible given the proven reliability on the ECML?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBp87JH-JMs

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 am

Now that hurt. As a follow on from purchasing a rake of Mk4 coaches in Eastcoast livery, I needed a class 91. No matter how much I procrastinated, the set would not be complete without one. I made the plunge and purchased from my usual supplier for a little less than the mainstream suppliers. Given that it is such a rubbish of a model I was surprised that no one is discounting it. I can only assume that it was made in limited numbers. Given that the new VTEC livery is out later this year/early next year and current Eastcoast livery coaches are on closeout sale I really cannot see an Eastcoast livery class 91 being rerun.

I detest the current class 91 model but I suppose like taking a wife you have to take the mother in law as well. Apart from livery change, five-pole ringfield and additional pickups it is the same model released back in 1989. That is 27 years of production. On initial release it may have turned heads but to dish out the same trash 27 years later is a joke. I doubt the new red livery locomotive or coaches will see any technical changes, just a new coat of paint. Maybe the recently departed marketing manager left in shame as to what is still being dished out. If us mugs still buy this rubbish then what incentive is there to change.

I purchased an additional DVT and decals to make the interim VTEC livery and will dispense with the class 91, occasionally (maybe all the time), however unprototypical and run with a decent powertrain loco. This will give my coach set additional life.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon May 02, 2016 5:04 am

The more you look the more you see class 67's hauling failed class 91 locomotive hauled trains. That said, a class 67 needs a barrier car to couple to a Mk4 coach so the class 91 is not easily dispensed with.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 am

Class 67 locomotives have a swing-head Buckeye coupler, mk4 coaches have Buckeye couplers, why would they need a barrier coach?
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon May 02, 2016 7:25 pm

hairyhandedfool wrote:Class 67 locomotives have a swing-head Buckeye coupler, mk4 coaches have Buckeye couplers, why would they need a barrier coach?

A video seen had a class 67 top and tailed on a partial train. The rescue loco at the coach end had a blue barrier coach inbetween the loco and the last coach on the train. From memory the class 91 had been marshalled to the DVT end of the train.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon May 02, 2016 9:13 pm

A word of praise for Richard at Road and Rails UK who supply an interim VTEC livery decal for the Eastcoast DVT. Initially, when I visited his site, the global shipping program wanted GBP25.00 to post a few small decals (Richard was not aware of this). I contacted Richard and he adjusted the listing on eBay to minimise the postage to just a few pound. I purchased two packs and then this morning discovered a PayPal refund from Richard for the entire shipping cost. Now that is good old fashioned service.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”