Hornby Range 2016

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bigmet

Re: Hornby Range 2016

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:03 am

Bigglesof266 wrote:... as long as its decoder is socketed rather than proprietary PCB hardwired (= no sale)...

Unless someone spots it and answers in this thread, you might do best to ask the question about what decoder socket in TTS locos released to date, directly in a separate thread.

I must admit I naively assumed that since Hornby also released the models with TTS in DCC ready form, that their usual choice of an 8 pin socket would be fitted.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Bigmet wrote:
Bigglesof266 wrote:... as long as its decoder is socketed rather than proprietary PCB hardwired (= no sale)...

Unless someone spots it and answers in this thread, you might do best to ask the question about what decoder socket in TTS locos released to date, directly in a separate thread.

I must admit I naively assumed that since Hornby also released the models with TTS in DCC ready form, that their usual choice of an 8 pin socket would be fitted.

TTS is 8 pin (at least in the Class 47), while premium sound fitted (a la Sparrow Hawk and St Pauls) is 21 pin (with the decoder upside down from usual)

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks. Heartening to know Hornby have progressed to a socketed fitment default, NEM 652 or MTC and orientation regardless.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:58 pm

Bigmet wrote:I must admit I naively assumed that since Hornby also released the models with TTS in DCC ready form, that their usual choice of an 8 pin socket would be fitted.

Good morning/evening Bigmet. I stopped assuming consistency or predictability about anything technical Hornby implements long ago. In the seven years and a bit I've been back in the hobby, I have observed proprietary self interest exclusively dominant in Hornby's marketing, its forums and too frequently technical implementation. Their customer orientation is as superficial as the mandatory parroted "Have a nice day!" script accompanying "Would you like fries or a drink with that?!" which might well be considered a candidate for the epitaph of this sad epoch. Regardless the delivery of both with a smile, the latter push-sell is just what it is, and the former a veneer of superficial insincere pleasantry tagged on the end of the exchange so it appears less like what it really is if I might paraphrase Captain W.E. Johns.

I visited Hornby's website prior to that previous post here, which per usual, revealed nothing in that regard other than TTS inclusion, or generally that might otherwise be useful about the proposed "Holland-Afrika Line" TTS release in the particular other than its estimated release date.

Generally I buy my Hornby DCC Ready, but have purchased through either opportunity buys or initial ignorance, some DCC Fitted. "All sorts" would be the operational byword. Fortunately the most recent two annotated DCC Fitted were decoder socketed, but nothing Hornby do, particularly with a budget sound decoder implementation, would surprise me. Wish it were but so.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:57 am

I feel your level of cautious scepticism about Hornby is justified, even while I am enjoying their present run of generally very good Eastern oriented productions. Recent memories of them lurching off course and all that...

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Standing alongside the cynicysm, nevertheless it is heartening to see Hornby's apparent genuine committment to pushing on with long desired product tooled to contemporary standards, particularly notable in their carriage stock. I take delight in your own at the bevy of ECML that has been its focus of recent. Airfix's product is being steered by the same Captains at the moment, most welcome change for the better for both company and customer.

A question you might be able to answer for me Bigmet. Apologies in advance for the memory challenge. I know I'd be hard tasked remembering some things of the trams I rode almost every other day during those impressionable formative years when one notices everything, whilst remembering other aspects of detail as clearly as if it were today.

Resistance worn down, despite the apalling exchange rate I ended up parting with the necessary pounds to buy a new release K type brake parlour third as one of two carriages to top and tail my Metro-Cammell "Tyne Tees Pullman" rake. A characteristic Crimson Mk1 BG sits at the other end ATM. As I understand, the current release depicts the K types per '28 build and service through the '30s. Can you remember, or was it likely, the former early Pullman crest might still have been extant on a tired and in need of a repaint Pullman brake parlour third in such a rake shortly after the introduction of the Metro Cammells Mk1s on the route? Or is a minor refinish with a late crest decal and coat of clear necessary to render its inclusion within that rake plausible.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am

You will have to bite the bullet on the late crest! The Pullman Car company didn't do 'tired and in need of a repaint'; the exterior finish was maintained very well with regular withdrawals to works for repaints. That long after the later crest had been introduced it would have been universally deployed, judging by good colour photos from the early 1960s. (They typically arranged exterior carriage washing between up and down turns too which is why the cars look consistently bright and shiny in photographs.)

Another change was the move from roller blinds inside the windows pre-war, to curtains post war. Never looked into how fast this change was rolled through the Pullman fleet. This change doesn't really show in the photos though.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:02 am

Thanks me old china.

Any other significant K type differences between a '30's carriage and that of '61?

A bit of labour, but a decal and coat of Vallejo Model Air clear will deal with the crest inexpensively enough. Going to have a look at the representation of blinds now. Curtains would be easy enough to represent too, as long as the blinds aren't printed/painted on the carriage's clear window plastic already.

I suppose I should have just waited for a later crest re-release, but who knows how long that will be in eventuating? I'm not getting any younger. Bird in the hand and all that!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Ther are endless arguments over roof colour as first in service and after works overhauls. To me it isn't worth arguing about, these cars behind steam traction went through a series of tunnels in the first 23 miles out of KX, and guess what colour the roofs quickly went. I just paints them the grey-brown accumulation common to all steam era rolling stock. (I have two of the MetCamm cars with cream roofs, to represent a pair entering service that day, replacing a couple of withdrawn K's.)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:36 pm

It wasn't only KX that had coaches with filthy roofs. I was over 30 before I saw a white one and it was on a heritage line.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:25 pm

A little snippet tucked away in the Hornby Guide magazine thingy, a weathered Crosti 9F, just what I have been waiting for.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:46 am

Bigmet wrote:There are endless arguments over roof colour

Copy that. Thanks for your input P. Already understood pretty much applicable to all, but especially doped canvas coach roofs during the steam era initial doped colour or network regardless.

Although not having seen first hand the glory that was British steam even in its decline and Indian summer, I am old enough to have witnessed our own, as in an age before private car ownership, my primary public transport until I was six was provided by suburban railway line rather than tram. Until 1960, after which the introduction of new diesels made their ever increasing welcome substitution in the eyes of this child back then, pretty much all surburban trains on our line were headed by steam, usually a tank loco probably of US origin left behind by the Yanks after the war. I well recall the muck and filth of soot coating everything associated with the railway during that time, especially prominant in the three large enclosed busy central through-traffic city stations.

If realisim is what's sought in terms of presentation, clearly weathering is in order whether a mineral wagon or carriage. From an analytical POV, whether sold with grey, white or silver, if the shade of the roof is uniform and pristine, it's a straw argument for any pedant to argue semantics about colour if not going to just as vehemently address the accompanying aspects of soot, weathering and wear and tear. That said, perception is reality as I've said in the past, or "it's my train set". I don't display, so I run pristine for my own enjoyment because it brings me great pleasure. And so I will look to alter minutae such as a crest representative of era whilst ignoring the muck, admittedly a contradiction of logic in service or quest of escapisim. My imagination fills in the necessary omitted detail with the same delight it did when I was eleven or twelve. But in "Blyton Wold", 'Big Brother' isn't watching any of us via CCTV. There, streets are hardly ever dirty, nor stations run down. All good little boys and girls go to bed when they are told to, speak only when spoken to, don't cheek the local constable or <gasp!? their parentS. Thus do I escape the charnel house of living dead who occupy a contemporary world -if only for an hour or so each day.

Hornby, and Bachmann for that matter, have been notably inconsistent with roof colours in the past. With their Metro Cammell Pullmans, at least Bachmann were consistent within the batch releases. That said, roofs are the easiest and quickest item to repaint overall in <pick a preferred colour> if consistency is required, so the colour they release with doesn't really cause me concern other than to scratch my head perpetually trying to figure out their reasoning other than none at all other than whimsy? Perhaps one of the reasons moulded in grey might be issued is that it escapes a finishing step required in painting the roofs white or off white? Or perhaps grey roofed carriages just sell better than white roofed and the bean counting statisticians have noticed this? I think consistency of release the more important for those who don't want to refinish. Personally, I prefer white representative of fresh from factory for Pullmans. Caters for those who like cigarette packet card pristine, and easy to alter for weathered effect for those who don't. But it's not something that irks me particularly either way that I would consider it worth arguing over. If I wanted doped white over a grey release, the 'it came out of the box that way' look is too easily achieved to a professionally applied standard with an airbrush.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:14 pm

Not meant to sound "sour grapes" in any way, but the offering of an A4 in LNER green is great,
but I really don't like the shade Hornby use, if its the same as on Tornado & the P2.
Bachmann's has always looked nicer & more like that of apple green Ive seen on the B1 & B12.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Oops-double post :oops:

david1943au

Postby david1943au » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 pm

Does anyone know when the new Hornby Peckett steam loco will be released ?

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”