Hornby 4Fs?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Mike Parkes

Re: Hornby 4Fs?

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am

I got hold of a set of spare driving wheels for the loco drive version and swopped them round. I found it was possible to push the metal tyres off the wheels so that a non traction tyre fitted tyre is used to replace that on the centre set.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:I got hold of a set of spare driving wheels for the loco drive version and swopped them round. I found it was possible to push the metal tyres off the wheels so that a non traction tyre fitted tyre is used to replace that on the centre set.

How did you get the metal tyres off? I've tried using a fair amount of pressure without success. I've also put a wheelset in the freezer to see if that would help. I got the impression that any greater pressure would destroy the wheel. It almost seemed as though the rim was glued or welded onto the wheel centre?

I do like the simplicity and robustness of the Hornby 4F. If I can sort the tyres out and have a separable tender it could become a long term favourite.
Gerald H - alternative modeller :)

My layout: viewtopic.php?t=28854

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 pm

They came off relatively easily as I recall both on those provided with the loco and the spare set I bought - was quite surprised as I was all geared up to have to swop the entire wheels round on the axles.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 am

I would suggest trying heat to remove the tyres with minimal damage. Do the experiment on the wheel that you are stripping the plain tyre from, as that is the plastic inner that will not see further use. Start with water that you can just bear to have your hand in for the heating, and work up from there. If you can rig a short round post on the workbench that will support the plastic centre while you are pushing the rim off, that should make the removal easier.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Thinking more I think what happened was I went to pull one of the driving wheels off an axle and pulled the tyre off instead which altered me to the fact that little force was needed to shift the tyres.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 am

This very useful Youtube video shows how to replace the tyred rims on a Hornby Schools.

Model Railways 18 - Improving Hornby Schools class wheels and grip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZqIuIqV_g

I assume the 4F wheels are of similar construction and will probably give it a go at some stage. It would be nice to remove the rims in a less destructive fashion, if possible. I fear that the rims that I have on the tender drive wheelset may be different to those on the loco drive wheelset, so I may have to get a new loco-drive wheelset.
Gerald H - alternative modeller :)

My layout: viewtopic.php?t=28854

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”