Dis-assembling Hornby Clerestory Coaches?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
TheObserver

Dis-assembling Hornby Clerestory Coaches?

Postby TheObserver » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 am

Hi all,

I would very much like to add some passengers to my Hornby Clerestory Coaches. So far I have disengaged four clips (two each side) and inserted a piece of 'cereal box' card to prevent them from re-engaging. However I am having some difficulty in 'springing' the four clips (two each end) which appear to be holding the chassis to the upper bodywork.

I have poked, prodded and jiggled these clips and the two parts remain resolutely attached. Should I be looking elsewhere to gain access to the interior of these carriages?
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

jmelville

Re: Dis-assembling Hornby Clerestory Coaches?

Postby jmelville » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:59 pm

TheObserver wrote:Hi all,

I would very much like to add some passengers to my Hornby Clerestory Coaches. So far I have disengaged four clips (two each side) and inserted a piece of 'cereal box' card to prevent them from re-engaging. However I am having some difficulty in 'springing' the four clips (two each end) which appear to be holding the chassis to the upper bodywork.

I have poked, prodded and jiggled these clips and the two parts remain resolutely attached. Should I be looking elsewhere to gain access to the interior of these carriages?

Hi TheObserver, Have just unpacked a new clerestory from a Lord of isle pack to have look for you. And as I thought like the old triang ones there is a brass screw centre of bottom chassis. Have you removed that. If not when you do, be careful with it when replacing it upon reassembly as these strip out very easily if over tightened. ....John

TheObserver

Postby TheObserver » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Good afternoon John,

Thank you for your speedy reply. None of these (five) Clerestory coaches are identifiable with "R" numbers showing on their chassis, however four are from x2 1908 Olympic Train Sets, being 23.5cm over the buffers.

The fifth (purchased from a colleague at the Swansea club) is also 23.5cm over the buffers, with a body that is almost identical to the 1908 'composite' carriage. With a running number of '3162' I have, with the help of Hornby Railways Collector Guide, identified it as being R4198 of 2004-2005 vintage.

There are no screws on these 23.5cm carriages similar to those on the 19.4cm Lord of the Isles carriages. However, I do indeed thank you for your efforts and will await guidance from others who might have successfully dis-assembled the 23.5cm carriages.
Our local club website:

jmelville

Postby jmelville » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:07 pm

TheObserver wrote:Good afternoon John,

Thank you for your speedy reply. None of these (five) Clerestory coaches are identifiable with "R" numbers showing on their chassis, however four are from x2 1908 Olympic Train Sets, being 23.5cm over the buffers.

The fifth (purchased from a colleague at the Swansea club) is also 23.5cm over the buffers, with a body that is almost identical to the 1908 'composite' carriage. With a running number of '3162' I have, with the help of Hornby Railways Collector Guide, identified it as being R4198 of 2004-2005 vintage.

There are no screws on these 23.5cm carriages similar to those on the 19.4cm Lord of the Isles carriages. However, I do indeed thank you for your efforts and will await guidance from others who might have successfully dis-assembled the 23.5cm carriages.

Hello again Yes think I know the ones you have. Lets try again. If it is the one I think then you will need small pointed pliers. Firstly release the 4 clips gently pushing down with finger tips on sides of chassis or side steps. the chassis will release very easily and bow down hold in that position. Then turn upside down and find the bottom end clips like 2 little tabs visible at bottom carriage ends. (underside) Gray colour. Gently squeeze with pointed pliers the 2 together and chassis will fall away at that end then repeat same for other end. I just took mine apart and it came apart very easily.

TheObserver

Postby TheObserver » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi John

Success! Many thanks.

I had previously been trying to move the clips inwards, away from the carriage wall, it hadn't dawned on me that I should be squeezing the two clips towards each other!

Thanks again.
Our local club website:

jmelville

Postby jmelville » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:25 pm

TheObserver wrote:Hi John

Success! Many thanks.

I had previously been trying to move the clips inwards, away from the carriage wall, it hadn't dawned on me that I should be squeezing the two clips towards each other!

Thanks again.

Hello Observer,, You are very welcome, pleased to be of service. Hope my description was not to difficult to follow. When you work on these type of coaches be very careful with the roof drips along the roof edges they break ever so easy. Lovely looking coaches, and very nice finish Hornby managed on these..............All the best john

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”