Hornby 6-wheel crimson "Palethorpes Sausages"

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby 6-wheel crimson "Palethorpes Sausages"

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 am

I had always considered this model to be nothing but a fanciful creation by Hornby until I was doing a little research on the Hornby LMS insulated milk van. It seems that in the mid-1930's the LMS contracted to build and supply twelve pieces of rolling stock for the exclusive usage of Palethorpes Sausages in Dudley. Included in the contract were six 6-wheel insulated vans, not unlike the model as presented by Hornby in crimson livery.

Also it seems that the GWR also provided 6-wheel vans for transporting the product. Apart from some underframe detail differences the two vans were similar although the GWR van was in brown with "Royal Cambridge" on the van lower side. The LMS crimson van had "Pork Sausages" printed on the lower half of the sides.

The performance and lack of detail on the underside of the Hornby model have been criticisms levelled at the cars. A few detail additions like battery boxes, vacuum cylinder and generator would definitely enhance this model.

While the early Hornby insulated milk van was released in white and later versions in the more correct crimson, I cannot find trace of a prototype for a white version. Some that have been reported as being whitish in colour but these seem to have been a faded crimson livery. Does anyone have evidence of the LMS insulated milk van in white livery, please?

Bushey Troughs

Re: Hornby 6-wheel crimson "Palethorpes Sausages"

Postby Bushey Troughs » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Me I rather like them, in an anachronistic way..... :lol:

COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:06 pm

Colin,
they do have their charm. I could not resist a seller who had four of the vans in unused condition. I will hopefully source some underframe detail to enhance them.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:19 pm

I am very fond of the LMS crimson milk version (seen here behind a Bachmann Midland Compound, and with a Stove R on the end):

Last edited by Black-Marlin on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:25 pm

I also am very fond of the crimson milk van but alas these vans cost far more than later release vans from Bachmann. I priced a couple of the crimson vans yesterday from an eBay dealer and the cost was around GBP50.00 for both. This equates to around $115.00.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:59 pm

To my pleasant surprise Rails eBay site listed three of the crimson milk vans in a single job lot BIN for less than the price the older white milkvans sell for. This was less than half the price that some sellers want for these. They arrived this morning and are in mint condition. The livery application is superb. Another single car is winging its way south to join the rest of the flock.

While these cars are lacking in underframe detail and have the end ladder and ice hatch of the Palethorpes Sausages van, they do make a nice rake and bear a similarity to the prototype.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”