Hornby 1948 Olympic train pack

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby 1948 Olympic train pack

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:11 am

I have purchased several of these train packs with the intention of securing additional teak livery coaches. I then onsell the N2 locomotive with the result that I pay around $50.00 delivered per coach as opposed to $130.00 delivered from Hornby online concessional purchases.

I have been rather slow in realising that Hornby actually made a printing error with the box cover on the train pack. It cites a composite car and a 3rd brake coach. In reality, supplied are a composite brake coach and 3rd class car.

TheObserver

Re: Hornby 1948 Olympic train pack

Postby TheObserver » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:01 pm

GWR_fan wrote:I have purchased several of these train packs with the intention of securing additional teak livery coaches. I then onsell the N2 locomotive with the result that I pay around $50.00 delivered per coach as opposed to $130.00 delivered from Hornby online concessional purchases.

I have been rather slow in realising that Hornby actually made a printing error with the box cover on the train pack. It cites a composite car and a 3rd brake coach. In reality, supplied are a composite brake coach and 3rd class car.

I thought likewise with the 1908 Olympic set (R2980) the box cover shows: GWR 3rd Class Clerestory Composite Coach '953'. The actual carriage (in the box) has eight compartments and seven doors on both sides of the carriage, all fourteen doors being marked THIRD.

Fellow club member Tony (Lysander) has identified '953' as being built to GWR Diagram C15 under Lot Number 867 of April 1898. As yet I haven't acquired a copy of Diagram C15, although I am aware it is available from the National Railway Museum (NRM) by mail order. Other research indicates C15 started life as a Clerestory, Corridor 2nd/3rd Composite, but later became All 3rd.

Tony has additionally identified the other carriage in the set: '3379' as being a Brake 3rd built to GWR Diagram D25 under Lot Number 870 of May 1898. As above I have so far failed to acquire a copy of Diagram D25, but I know it is also available from the NRM. However I have found a copy of Diagram D29 (Lot Nos. 916 & 917) which shows D29 to be a Luggage/ Brake/ 3rd (three compartments each 5' 6" x 5' 9").

I seem to recall that other GWR diagrams I have seen of Composite/ Brake carriages, have shown there to be a difference of 12 inches between the two classes.

I wonder if any of the above relating to GWR Coaching stock might have similarities with your Teak LNER Coach stock.
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

GWR_fan

Re: Hornby 1948 Olympic train pack

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:26 pm

John,
I think that Hornby were just being a little free and easy with describing their models. Perhaps they were rushed out the door to satisfy all the interest they would get from the Olympic visitors (which of cause never happened because they were over priced in tourist dollars and not real dollars).

Tim

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”