Platform ends

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Pompey1950

Platform ends

Postby Pompey1950 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 pm

I have recently been given some train accessories and included amongst these are platform ends. I searched on the net - these are made by Hornby under the reference S8396. They are the same width as the Hornby standard platform. However, I can see no way that they can be attached to the platform section - they are rectangular but do not have the bits that you clip together as when you clip together platform sections.
Could anybody explain how you do attach them or are they different to the rest of Hornby's platform accessories? (They are unpainted, unlike the platform sections)
I am interested in using them as hey would be useful in my plans for a mainline station

stuartp

Re: Platform ends

Postby stuartp » Sun May 17, 2015 8:19 pm

They don't clip on, they're intended to be used under the larger station buildings where they overhang the platform ends or as general filler-inner bits and are simply positioned where you need them. It's all a bit vague as you say and they tend to wander around a bit in use unless you glue them down.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

hairyhandedfool

Re: Platform ends

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 pm

They used to be used under the old station buildings, to widen the platform sections sufficiently, there used to be a separate plastic staircase too.They also got used in the old 'Station Terminus' kits (R8009) where they made the platform beyond the buffers (under the building) wide enough to span a double track.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”