Hornby A4 "Kingfisher"

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby A4 "Kingfisher"

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:13 am

Today I received the "Rare Birds" train pack which includes the super detail A4 "Kingfisher". While a beautiful, highly detailed model, a strange omission was the reverser rod link etching on the left side of the loco. This is a dominant feature of the loco chassis and a very obvious issue. A check of the loco body shows no glue residue so one must assume that the loco left the factory minus the part.

A disappointing issue which I must work around as I doubt the etching would be available as a spare part. I may replace with a simpler strip or rod to attempt to replicate the part.

Phipps

Re: Hornby A4 "Kingfisher"

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:01 am

Got rid of mine because of both loco & carriages.
The loco seemed a luxury I didn't really need & coaches were (despite being very nice) of a very specific era. I found the two from the later Olympics set (with the black N2), but preferred the idea of LNER teaks, not BR number versions.
Got a reasonable amount for it & TBH, Im happy enough with SNG in BR Ex blue.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:13 am

I managed to fabricate a reverser rod by flattening a door hinge pin from a largescale coach and forming to shape. While not exactly like the missing part it does the job.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:25 am

I know Im a dope, but where abouts is this piece usually located?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 am

Located left side of the loco under the running plate. About three inches long from under the cab floor up to the hanger for the valve gear. It is a very dominant part on the loco on that side (and an obvious omission).

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:35 pm

I think I found it courtesy of my Dave Clark Locomotives in Detail book.
Should be between the front two driving wheels.
Pretty sure none of mine have them (maybe 2509 Silverlink), cos they're all Railroad or Bachmann.
Thanks for the info, GWRfan

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:34 pm

You just sent me scrambling to pictures of mine to check!

You do seem to have been unfortunate, GWR_fan; mine is in evidence (seen here on the club track):

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Gavin's photo clearly demonstrates the rod in question. Phipps as your models are either Railroad or fully valenced (Silver Link) then the part will not be fitted. It is only fitted to super detail locomotives that have the valence removed.

The loco in question does run very, very well, so a missing part from the factory, while inexcusable, at least they managed to get the mechanism to work smoothly.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue May 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Given that I know Kingfisher was one of only four to have the "experimental" blue/ultramarine, can anyone answer this (please)?
Ive had a look on Modelmaster & Fox & wondering which decals would I require to completely repaint a tender? Im not sure what transfers I need for the red/grey line & "British Railways" logo to be correct.
Thanks

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:09 pm

FTR I ended up using a Railroad Mallard as a green Kingfisher 60024 with red-backed nameplates.
Also has makers plates & along each side of the boiler are the diamond plates worn by the engine until just before it was scrapped.
Im going to use another RR Mallard (once I find one) as the donor for a 60027 "Merlin" in the experimental ultramarine "British Railways" livery.
This WILL be my last A4 & conclusion of what has been an interesting number of years experimenting/tweaking with a collection of my favourite class of locomotive.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”