Hornby to move.....

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bushey Troughs

Hornby to move.....

Postby Bushey Troughs » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:01 am

COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

b308

Re: Hornby to move.....

Postby b308 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:37 am

I didn't know it had a visitor's centre! They go on about the "history" of it all, but surely for a "Hornby" visitor's centre Liverpool would be more appropriate for it than in Triang Country!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 am

Agree, I have always associated Margate with Tri-ang, the low quality side of the outfit that had in the early years no business using the Hornby name

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 am

By the time Triang Hornby became Hornby there was virtually nothing of Hornby origin in it's range. Whilst some old Triang "chestnuts" linger in the RR range even today, particularly when you look below the solebar.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:53 am

The Tri-ang group was disbanded in 1971 when Meccano Ltd's owner Lines Bros. filed for bankruptcy. The former Tri-ang Hornby was sold to Dunbee-Combex-Marx, becoming Hornby Railways in 1972. They continued to use the Margate site thereby being the headquarters.

By 1980 Dunbee-Combex-Marx was liquidated, placing Hornby in receivership.

In 1980 Hornby became Hornby Hobbies and in 1981 a management buyout saw the company back on a sound footing. It went public in 1986, still using the Margate HQ.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Mrs KM and I visited the visitors' centre two or three years ago and were very disappointed with the layout on display. The modelling was of a poor standard and uninspiring. The rolling stock, considering the resources at their disposal, comprised two 4-6-2s, each with only two carriages. Overall it wasn't a patch on Pecorama.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:03 am

You see that at major shows too. Hornby's very basic train set display doesn't do their loco and coach models justice. The limitation is the use of their own track, which I suppose they have to promote as well. The very same models look so much better when they are seen running on the exhibitor's layouts with easier curvatures and closer to scale track plans.

For these shows they would do much better in my opinion to have a simple but well modelled stretch of slightly curved double or even quadruple track in open country, which they can do with their flexitrack. Have this fed by an automated storage of the trains nose to tail out of sight - don't they have some control products to promote? - with a regular sequence of trains continuously circulating. A quad track with perhaps four metres viewable, should enable three or four trains per track to be stored out of sight. That would allow a fair variation, better than their two trains roundy-roundy.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:46 am

Bigmet wrote:You see that at major shows too. Hornby's very basic train set display doesn't do their loco and coach models justice.

I suspect that their displays are there to promote sales to the "family" rather than to the modeler, hence use of setrack, etc., to illustrate what a family can do. It would be stupid of them to try to compete with the serious modeler at a show when that's not really their market and it would give a false impression to the purchaser...

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 am

A couple of years ago, Maghull Leisure Centre, (Liverpool) applied for a lottery grant to create a permanent space in the centre for a Frank Hornby museum but I don't know how they got on there doesn't seem to be much on the internet about it.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:24 am

Bigmet wrote:You see that at major shows too. Hornby's very basic train set display doesn't do their loco and coach models justice. The limitation is the use of their own track

Very true, I've always been rather disappointed at Hornbys lack of effort in their display layouts. Yes, they are there to promote their own range of products, and this does pose some limitations on what they can achieve in terms of realism. However, consider their core market is still the traditional flat top trainset and it then begins to make sense as it shows what is the typical sort of thing you'll find in a limited space...as much track crammed in as possible. I much prefer Bachmanns approach, their tiny (in comparison to Hornbys sprawling 'loft layout') display layout a few years ago was sublime and showcased what is possible when you turn a typical trainset into a model railway.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Even collectors multi track ovals with every possible accessory crammed in do better than Hornby's demo layouts. Their problem is that the demo's are restricted by what is currently available in the range, the collector can make use of all those items which are no longer being made.

Sc0tty

Postby Sc0tty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:47 pm

I am very new to all this model railway lark ( although I did have a class 37 on a chipboard base under my bed when I was 8 or 9 ! ) and although I do like some of hornbys locos, there seems to be some rather odd anomalies and a lack of continuity in their product line.

For example, why are there so many different types of box/packaging??!! Some stock use the old polystyrene straight jacket, some have the block of ice, and some have the polystyrene split in two ! Where's the damn continuity?

Also, their online shop business is a joke.

And finally, why release a list of 2015 products that are not available until half way through the year??!!

I know of no other business that operates in this way ! :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Both Hornby Dublo and TriAng had a history of producing catalogues with highly optimistic release dates for some of the contents. One or two items in the TriAng catalogue had been marked as "available later" year after year until they dissapeared with the first Triang/Hornby catalogue. Doesn't change much does it.

Sc0tty

Postby Sc0tty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Piss poor business if you ask me !! :)

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”