Faulty controller?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Dugie Diesel

Faulty controller?

Postby Dugie Diesel » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi all, i recently bought myself the Hornby Gloucester city pullman set, more for the loco and the carriages really however the track and controller will come in handy. Im not sure if the controller is working right tho, it makes the loco's very noisy and i have to turn the power over halfway before anything happens. Im on DC and its the silver trainset controller. Mostly im concerned the controller may damage the motors in the loco's due to the noise its making, anyone got any advice?

Video of the controller in action
http://vid83.photobucket.com/albums/j28 ... vtmh7f.mp4

All the loco's i have tried are very noisy but when i use my Gaugemaster they are silent as usual.
Don't mess with my Choo Choo.......

Peterm

Re: Faulty controller?

Postby Peterm » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:12 am

Simplest fix is to use the GM. :)
Pete.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:37 am

Yep I'd agree, bin the Hornby one, GM Controllers are miles better anyhow!

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:27 am

Hi
Hornby dc controllers of the type you have use PWM (Pulse width Modulation) for their speed control. That is the voltage to the rail is pulsed on and off very fast with the spacing between On and Off varied depending on the speed set. Slow speed has longer Off periods while a faster speeds have shorter off periods. It is these pulses that are causing the motor to hum. It shouldn't cause any problems.
But as others have said for improved speed control look at obtaining a better quality of controller like those produced by Gaugemaster or the excellent Morley range of dc controllers.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”