Vacuum Pump & Telegraph Posts

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Pompey1950

Vacuum Pump & Telegraph Posts

Postby Pompey1950 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:09 am

I recently returned to model railways after 50 years. I bought a Hornby Train set that included some track accessories.
Vacuum Pump
Included were a driver, fireman and 2 x vacuum pumps. Where do these vacuum pumps go and what adhesive would you recommend - also what colour should they be painted?
telegraph Poles
These came with a fitting that results in them able to stand alright, but look really odd. How do you get round this - if you cover theses won't it stick up as they are quite thick, either under scatter or under a grass mat - does anyone cut these extensions off and rely on just the bit where the pole goes in. I have seen that the fitting is compatible with standard tracks - are they meant to be inserted between the sleepers? I notice that fences also seem to use this arrangement

Sorry if the questions are a bit basic but I am very new to all this after such a long gap!!

b308

Re: Vacuum Pump & Telegraph Posts

Postby b308 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:38 am

Re the vacuum pumps the best bet is to look at some photos of the class of loco you have bought and you should see them on there which will give you the proper location. Check both sides as location can differ! Superglue should do.

Re telegraph poles, if you are doing a proper layout on a board then don't use the "track clip" way of fixing them or fences. It's most unrealistic! Toy can drill small holes in the baseboard and glue them in using UHU or make a small base and glue them to that which can then be fixed to the baseboard and the base covered in scatter...

Pompey1950

Postby Pompey1950 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:17 am

Sorry this should read vacuum pipes not vacuum pumps

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:34 am

Sounds like the 'Superdetail' pack Hornby introduced in the 1980s. If you look at the front and rear buffer beams of the locomotive there should be a square hole in it, the tail of the vacuum pipe sticks in there. You can glue them if you want (usually pointing upwards) , UHU, superglue or similar will work, but they might be tight enough as an interference fit. Leave the pipes black or touch in red where they cross the buffer beam, the pipes were rubberised canvas so any dirty grey/brown sludge type colour will work.

The driver and fireman were well moulded if a little clichéd in their poses. They can be chopped up and re-arranged quite easily if you feel so inclined. This driver has had his arm repositioned lower down and his box seat carved away; the fireman has had his shovel removed and his head turned a bit, he's supposed to be reaching for the damper or slacking pipe.

The most realistic way to mount telegraph poles is the drill a hole in the baseboard and shove them in, use blu-tack or similar if they're a bit loose and you don't want to glue them. Mine go in a bit of brass or plastic tube set into the surface and are removable for transit but that's probably overkill.

A lot of the scenic accessories in the Hornby range used to be designed to clip to the track to aid setting it up on the carpet.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”