Hornby Thompson B1

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby Thompson B1

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:51 am

I have noticed that 'recent' Hornby production of the Thompson B1 class are relatively inexpensive, models R2999 and R3000. Is there a quality issue with these locomotives? A recent comment by a well respected member on this site, quote "......as the current Hornby is poor - and the Thompson classes, gruesome though they are. But as ever, it's their money to do with as they choose...", makes me wonder if this product is flawed.

For the money they seem excellent value but then I have not read any reviews or comments on their quality or performance. As a model though they look very nice but then I have no knowledge of ex-LNER locomotives.

Tim

Bigmet

Re: Hornby Thompson B1

Postby Bigmet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:29 am

GWR_fan wrote:I have noticed that 'recent' Hornby production of the Thompson B1 class are relatively inexpensive, models R2999 and R3000. Is there a quality issue with these locomotives? A recent comment by a member on this site, quote "......as the current Hornby is poor - and the Thompson classes, gruesome though they are...

That was me, and a reference solely to pacifics, (the LMS Princess model, very long in the tooth, and the actual Thompson pacific designs for which we have no RTR models) thus nothing to do with the Thompson B1, in reality or model form.

Here's what I posted recently in 'Hornby 2014 speculation thread':
I have now had a 'hands on' session with a friend's purchase of the latest release of the Hornby B1, numbered as 61270. So this is one of the models previously tooled at Sanda Kan, but now in production at one of the new suppliers, in this case 'REF' which stands for 'Refined'. So this is a real test, because here was one of the best steam models Hornby produced during their Sanda Kan period. It's good news, based on the way it both looks and runs; appears to be made to the same standard as before.

Which hopefully means that they have the capability to get any of the previous good Sanda Kan tooling back into production at the same quality as before. Whether they have the same volume production capacity, now that's a whole other question.

Hornby were kind enough to make a quartet of LNER classes just before their world went crazy: B1, B17, L1, O1. All represent the best standard they were attaining in their final period with Sanda Kan. The very slight fly in the ointment is the use of the 'two pivot' pony truck on the L1 and O1, but this is an easy DIY fix.

Thus my interest in seeing just how the newly produced B1 shaped up. Now, cannot make any judgement yet on whether the motor quality is as good, but there was nothing to complain of in the way it ran. The price of the B1, which is one the models incautiously duplicated against an existing Bachmann offering, will always be held down by that fact. The Bach B1 uses an old tooling, but a good one; and is now on a good new chassis. The Hornby though is visibly superior, and worth a little more cash.

Likewise the B17 example I purchased very early this year, made by one of the new suppliers. Externally excellent appearance, mechanically fine. It's had nine months of regular running with no problems. So it looks like Hornby's new suppliers can do as well as Sanda Kan previously achieved, is my feeling.

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:36 am

I agree with Bigmet, I have a number of B1's and they are all good, better than the rival product which great in its day is not as good as the Hornby, the same applies to the O1 and B17, the L1 front pony truck does not stay radial and thus can be an issue if the track is tight, overall this range is good product and I see it will be difficult to improve upon.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Many thanks. The price is what interested me as it is in the same league as Hornby Railroad items.

Tim

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:09 pm

GWR_fan wrote:Many thanks. The price is what interested me as it is in the same league as Hornby Railroad items.

Tim

The recent prices may be Railroad, but the detail certainly isn't; although I paid GBP130 for my R3000 from Hornby.
The tender is firmly linked to the loco, adjustable for close coupling and there is a 4-pin plug/socket for the wire-through.
Also with the 8-pin decoder socket being in the tender it is a doddle to chip for DCC and there is also provision for a speaker.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:10 pm

I just got an email from Hornby informing me that the new Thompson B1, R3114 in BR Late Black, has arrived into stock.

It also tells me that the designer of the Thompson B1 is Sir Nigel Gresley... :roll:

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:57 am

All the key components were designed under Gresley's aegis: frame layout, boiler, superheater, cylinders, valve gear to his standards, pretty much a shake the box 'kit' loco. The Thompson locos that worked really well were closely based on previous good practises developed under Gresley and Robinson, the B1 and O1 were the economical solid perfomers as a result.

(This 'made waves' at the BR loco trials in 1948 when the significantly cheaper to build B1 and O1 matched the more expensive Stanier Black 5, 8F and Churchward 28xx for performance on the road, and fuel and water consumptions, with the Hall trailing as an 'also ran'. The expectation had been that the much vaunted Belpaire boiler design of the GW and LM types, which was more expensive in both first build cost and subsequent maintenance, would make these locos significantly more efficient and better on the road performers than the cheaper Doncaster round top boiler locos. But what was shown was that Doncaster's method of using a larger superheater ratio with very good valve events led to equivalent overall performance in service; and when higher power output was demanded actually made them the better locos.)

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”